U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 9,094 times

Advertisements

I am looking into Cornell for PhD programs starting next fall and need to begin researching apartments.

My boyfriend and I are originally from the midwest, so the weather is not a concern, but we do not know anyone in the area who could suggest neighborhoods to look into.

We are very interested in a downtown setting within walking or biking distance to restaurants, shops, etc. (ideally for 800-1000/month). Also, I would like to avoid areas where the undergraduates and fraternities are located.

I would appreciate any advice on areas or properties to look into.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 PM

81,459 posts, read 109,285,735 times
Perhaps the Belle Sherman neighborhood would work. It's a nice area close to Cornell

Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM

81,459 posts, read 109,285,735 times
Perhaps the Belle Sherman neighborhood would work. It's a nice area close to Cornell and Downtown. It's a nice area of the city, but check to see if there are apartments in your range in the neighborhood.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 PM

286 posts, read 1,074,857 times
You also shouldn't have a hard time finding places within that price range around downtown. I'm pretty sure I've played this game on other Ithaca threads if you go hunting, but I'd consider the area bounded by Green St. to the south, Lincoln to the north, Willow Ave to the west, and Linn to the east will be very convenient to campus by bus or an all-uphill walk, relatively quiet and safe, not too populated by undergrads, with a fair assortment of apartments and a nice downtownish feel. The farther south in that area you get the closer you will be to central downtown. The only warning I'd give is that the apartment housing stock is highly variable downtown, being mostly converted houses. If you won't be able to come for a visit, you may instead want to look at some of the complexes up on East Hill, which from what I've heard seem to be pretty consistently reliable.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM

286 posts, read 1,074,857 times
Oh, and Belle Sherman is indeed a really nice neighborhood, but there aren't a lot of apartments except on the west side of the neighborhood closest to Collegetown, and which mostly cater to undergrads. But it is convenient to campus and to the restaurants/social scene in Collegetown. (The geographic area around here is roughly bounded by College Ave. to the west, Dryden/Maple Ave to the north, Rte 79 to the south, and a bunch of green space to the east.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York