Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,901 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
Hubby and I are looking to move and saw Beacon for the first time. It's really lovely and I think it fits in with my requirements for a relatively easy transition from city rat to country mouse.

One thing I realized though- NYC has some amazing food shopping that many places don't. I did a search for a Whole Foods in upstate NY and only found the one in White Plains. Are there closer ones in Jersey? Are there other stores up there that would satisfy as a replacement?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Yes, there is Nature's Pantry on Rt. 52 in Fishkill. They have natural, whole food selections. I shop there for certain things. Then there's Mother Earths up on Rt.9 in Poughkeepsie-in the plaza where Bugaboo Creek is(in front of the Galleria Mall). Both would fit your needs.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 AM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
I live in Montgomery NY, about 14 miles West of Beacon on I-84. We go to Nature's Pantry in Newburgh (approx. 10 miles W of Beacon) on Route 17K (they have another location in Fishkill as the previous poster mentioned). If we go to Poughkeepsie (which isn't too often) we stop at Mother Earth's on Route 9 in Poughkeepsie (approx. 15 miles NE of Beacon).

Both stores are small and carry the basics in terms of health foods.

Every few weeks I try to go to Trader Joe's in Danbury, CT (approx. 37 miles E of Beacon on I-84). Its a relatively quick ride, you can really cruise on 84.

For Whole Foods....we go maybe once or twice a month....nearest location is Ridgewood, NJ, (approx. 35 miles South) but this is probably my least favorite Whole Foods Store...and I've been to 40-50 different stores across the US.

Brand new location is in Paramus, NJ (approx. 38 miles South). I hop on 84 and get on the NYS Thruway (87) in Newburgh and then hop onto 17 off 87 in NJ. It takes about 7 minutes for me to get to 87 from Montgomery and then another 33 to get to the Paramus location in the Bergen Town Center. The Whole Foods Paramus location is on Route 4, right off the main drag, 17. There is also a Trader Joe's in Paramus (about 10 minutes from the Whole Foods on 17). When I go down, I stop at both.

Total travel time from Beacon (to the Paramus stores) non-peak at 80mph would be about 40 minutes.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 AM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
The White Plains location can take a bit longer to get to since you will have to deal with the 87 traffic in Westchester PLUS it costs $5 to cross that darn Tappan Zee.

ALSO, there is a nice farm-type market in Newburgh NY on Route 300 (approx. 10 miles West of Beacon) called Adams Fairacre Farms - great produce, really nice Boars Head Deli, and local meat options.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:04 AM

12 posts, read 31,218 times
Adam's Fairacre Farms is opening right on Rt.9 finally!! Check out their website for more info though! Great mini supermarket!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 AM

60 posts, read 227,339 times
Adam's is great. Doesn't have everything Whole Foods has but the produce is very fresh, diverse and very fairly priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York