Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,578 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the Hudson River Valley and would like to get information about Ulster county. I visited New Paltz and really liked it and have been using apartments.com but haven't found a suitable apartment. I'm 50, single, female and come from a small town on eastern Long Island. I'm partially disabled so managed apt. complexes interest me, because of the amenities and on-site maintenance/mgt. I did find what appears to be a nice apt. complex in Port Ewen (Lakeshore Villas on Broadway) but have read some unsettling posts here about Kingston and the increase in crime and gang activity. Safety is very important to me. I would appreciate any information about this area or any other HRV area that anyone could recommend. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 PM

40 posts, read 153,450 times
Apartment living is a bit tough in Ulster County. Rents are high relative to local incomes though there are some decent complexes. If you can swing $800 to $1000 a month, you should be able to find something. New Paltz will be safer than Kingston although there are at least 3 nice complexes in the Uptown area that are away from the bad areas. Kingston is generally an OK place with a few bad pockets, mostly off Broadway. Franklin Street, Henry Street, Van Buren are the places to avoid. The complexes are well away. Lakeshore Villas should be fine. You are several miles from the bad spots in Kingston. Ulster County is overall very safe, should be just as good as Eastern LI in that aspect. Lots of wildlife here, not a lot of criminals. You could get more space for your money by checking 2 family houses. The majority of rentals here are actually in those although you will probably be happier in a complex. This is primarily a homeowner place. Most people move here looking for a house with a lot of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York