U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 PM

5 posts, read 12,952 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving from northern NJ to somewhere in NY state.

I've seen some real estate listings from the Ellenville area and want to know what its like. I'm familiar with some of the New Paltz area (which is about an hour away from Ellenville).

Tell me anything. If you live there or not, tell me why. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

AA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:19 AM

27 posts, read 89,808 times
Im from Orangecounty ny Middletown to be exact I have friend sthat live in ellenville its a small old town below the mnts.My friends wish they never baught a house out there.Crime is bad,and the schooling isnt good.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 PM

715 posts, read 2,279,374 times
I live in Montgomery, NY, which is about 22 miles Southeast of Ellenville in Orange County. Ellenville (Ulster County) isn't anything too special. The village is rather run down and isn't modern by any stretch. It is picturesque, though, with the Catskills to your West/Northwest and Minnewaska to your East. Over the past summer I worked in Cragsmoor, NY, which is 2 miles Southeast of Ellenville on the mountain that borders Minnewaska and is home to the Bear Hill Preserve and Sams Point Preserve. It is much nicer up (with breathtaking views) here than down in the Ellenville-valley. Route 52 connects Ellenville with the South and East. In order to get into Ellenville you have to take Route 52 over high elevations which I couldn't imagine doing in the winter. Route 209 connects Ellenville to West and is 10 miles from the major Route 17. Ellenville is about 20 miles from Middletown, which is one of two cities in Orange County. Middletown has all of the modern amenities that you would fine in Northern NJ. Also, Ellenville is only about 30 minutes from New Paltz. If you really wanted to relocate way up to Ulster County, New Paltz would be a great choice. Great little town.

I don't know where you are moving from in Northern NJ (are we talking somewhere along 17 / Paramus or someplace further West?) but Orange County would be a great choice / change of pace. You will be between 1 hour and 1.5 hours away from NYC and 30 minutes from the Catskills. Middletown and Newburgh have everything you need in terms of shopping. If you wanted to be really close to the Mountains, you could go to Pine Bush, which is right on the Ulster County border and 12 miles from Ellenville / 10 from Cragsmoor. Montgomery, Washingtonville, Goshen, Florida, Chester, Monroe, and Tuxedo are all nice places to live that have easy access to New York or points north.

For reference: It takes me 33 minutes to get from Paramus to Newburgh on a good traffic day (I go to Whole Foods / Trader Joes in Paramus).

Old 10-24-2010, 05:42 PM

38 posts, read 71,335 times
I am originally from Orange County and I agree with Dreamshot. I currently work in Ellenville and I would not want to live there.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 PM

20 posts, read 30,743 times
Living 6 miles from Ellenville, we purchased a home here nearly 10 years ago. Things are bad here, no jobs, high taxes and nothing to show for it. Gotta drive nearly an hour to find a decent Department store! Resorts are closing, the local Flea market is a joke, crime is terrible and you have to commute for everything.. wanna buy a house? They are for sale everywhere around the town.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,094 times
I think Ellenville is beautiful in a way...but yes the flea market is a joke...and the only shopping anyone could do here is family dollar, general dollar, and shoprite!! And if you were lucky enough to get a job it's at one of the three!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:07 AM

4 posts, read 9,355 times
Ellenville is horrible , depressing, heavy taxes and not much employment. Forget about raising a family here the education is terrible. Just drive around, park your car and walk around and you will see what I mean.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:55 PM

222 posts, read 631,708 times
Alas, Ellenville with its mountain scenery has potential, but it is not happening. There is the Shadow Land Theater and the Aroma and Thyme Restaurant, which is highly reviewed, but the reality is that the high unemployment and section 8 housing do not make this a desirable place to live. I've heard that the school system is not good, though, I don't know anyone who has children there.

With that said, there are some nice places to live not far from Ellenville. Pinebush in Orange County is lovely with a good school system. If you want to live in a more remote area, you can check out Grahamsville which has the highly rated Tri-Valley school system. Note: you will have to go down to Middletown or over to Kingston, New York for department store shopping.

I am curious why you are thinking of moving to Ellenville.

Galee

Old 12-04-2011, 06:49 PM

275 posts, read 706,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post

For reference: It takes me 33 minutes to get from Paramus to Newburgh on a good traffic day (I go to Whole Foods / Trader Joes in Paramus).
My that's fast

Old 08-22-2013, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2Crazy View Post
I'm planning on moving from northern NJ to somewhere in NY state.

I've seen some real estate listings from the Ellenville area and want to know what its like. I'm familiar with some of the New Paltz area (which is about an hour away from Ellenville).

Tell me anything. If you live there or not, tell me why. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

AA
I was born and raised in Ellemville in the 50's NS 60's AND IT WAS gfreat it is a shame it is not what it was bak tnen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York