Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 PM

16 posts, read 79,979 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your comments so far.

I just want to ask thought has any been kinda forced to change where they came from/traditions/culture/beliefs/etc to assimilate better into southern lifestyle? I just get this vibe when going into soem of the forums for some of the southern states that they seem to want northerners to change everything about them and act more southern-like which I feel is very wrong of them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 12:33 PM

134 posts, read 517,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp05 View Post

I just want to ask thought has any been kinda forced to change where they came from/traditions/culture/beliefs/etc to assimilate better into southern lifestyle? I just get this vibe when going into soem of the forums for some of the southern states that they seem to want northerners to change everything about them and act more southern-like which I feel is very wrong of them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
No disrespect meant here..... have you ever felt that kind of pressure where you live now? Do you always/sometimes/never bend to the will of your neighbors, family or community? What I'm getting at is perhaps we all do that now to some degree already. And perhaps relocating to a new community we might experience some real differences in our traditions/culture/beliefs/etc that we might feel a need to assimilate to. Then again, we might not feel obliged to "change" who we are much, as long as we are good neighbors and happy with who we are.

Second point- perhaps reading about the issue of northerners not being accepted in the south on an online forum is not totally accurate and representative of reality. Maybe for some, but maybe for many it has not or will not be an issue. Kinda like when someone gets lousy service, they tell EVERYONE, but many people just accept decent service as the norm and go on there way happy. You may have experienced someone from the north, or NYC, that was pushy or demanding, (a very broad generalization to be sure), and they thought you were not responsive to their needs?

Again, no disrespect meant here. Just throwing an idea or two out there.

(disclaimer- I have always lived in Rochester NY)

Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 PM

16 posts, read 79,979 times
Thank you for your take on this issue and I will try harder I suppose not to judge people the way I feel I have been. I just don't know waht to htink or where to move to anymore I guess is the real issue I have now.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:42 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,330,955 times
CJ, I'm sorry you are confused and I don't blame you! An earlier poster noted that this forum is not really related to the "real world." Strictly speaking, the number of people posting here is a tiny, tiny percentage of the populace. You can't really decide until you go inspect a prospective area for yourself, with the idea that you might move there. It's a HUGE step and you are right to be very careful before taking it. You might need to know that public transportation all across the south is very limited. Even in cities with bus or transit systems, they may not go all over the city, or they may have limited hours. Just something to keep in mind as you do your research. Many blessings to you, dear.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:47 PM

14 posts, read 41,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp05 View Post

No pressure to change at all in almost 9 years. About the closest you get is yourself and the southerner you are talking to both reminiscing about some of the differences. I truly believe that living here has made me a little more nicer and talkative to complete strangers than I otherwise would have been had I stayed in NY. But that wasn't pressure. It just rubbed off.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 PM

121 posts, read 381,515 times
Default I would move back to Buffalo in a heartbeat if.......

Everyone I meet down south says this.......but with varying answers.

My answer: A JOB!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:36 AM

672 posts, read 896,397 times
Default I talked to more strangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by free78 View Post
No pressure to change at all in almost 9 years. About the closest you get is yourself and the southerner you are talking to both reminiscing about some of the differences. I truly believe that living here has made me a little more nicer and talkative to complete strangers than I otherwise would have been had I stayed in NY. But that wasn't pressure. It just rubbed off.
in NY than I do here in Florida. I have no desire to here. I go my way and they go theirs.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:16 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
CJ,
I noticed your post because it said you were from Batavia.
I've lived in Batavia for over 37 years, and in NY for my whole life.

I usually post in the Florida forum, because I bought a house down there this year. I think it is correct that the people who post on the forums are sincere, and try to be helpful, but everything must be read with a grain of salt.

All I can fall back on is my personal experience. We have found the people we have met in central Florida some of the nicest people we have ever met. I do also think that one gets what they give. If you are nice, respectful, and have a positive outlook on life, you will find others like that.

Also, I know the Florida is a different world and I have much to learn, so since God gave me two ears and only one mouth, I try to use them in that proportion.

Another thing to remember is just like Batavia is different then NYC or Albany, or long island or the Watertown area, parts of Florida are much different then other parts.........so one must see WHERE the poster is from.
I'm sure it is the same in every state, everywhere.

People are also different. Some positive, some negative. Florida is much different for a person who has worked hard for many years, invested well, and pays cash for a house and plans on living comfortably on the fruits of his past labors.....compared to a young person who is struggling, trying to make ends meet, unsure of what he/she wants to do in life.

Anyway, glad to see someone from Batavia....it sounds like you will do well wherever you decide to go.

Isn't it great that we live in a country where we CAN go anywhere we want?
If it does not work out, you learn from it, and move on.....

Frank D.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,220,094 times
I live in Charlotte area and am working my way out of here. The infrastructure is brutal here.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:00 PM

19 posts, read 60,267 times
Default Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Dave View Post
No disrespect meant here..... have you ever felt that kind of pressure where you live now? Do you always/sometimes/never bend to the will of your neighbors, family or community? What I'm getting at is perhaps we all do that now to some degree already. And perhaps relocating to a new community we might experience some real differences in our traditions/culture/beliefs/etc that we might feel a need to assimilate to. Then again, we might not feel obliged to "change" who we are much, as long as we are good neighbors and happy with who we are.

Second point- perhaps reading about the issue of northerners not being accepted in the south on an online forum is not totally accurate and representative of reality. Maybe for some, but maybe for many it has not or will not be an issue. Kinda like when someone gets lousy service, they tell EVERYONE, but many people just accept decent service as the norm and go on there way happy. You may have experienced someone from the north, or NYC, that was pushy or demanding, (a very broad generalization to be sure), and they thought you were not responsive to their needs?

Again, no disrespect meant here. Just throwing an idea or two out there.

(disclaimer- I have always lived in Rochester NY)

I am currently in Raleigh NC and wanting to move back to the Upstate NY area-- does anyone have any good leads on sales positions?

Thanks so much,
Tracy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York