Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:58 AM

19 posts, read 60,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue64 View Post
but me and my family are moving to RI, but I can live with that its another beautiful state (we were actually going to move there 15yrs ago) & its only 3 1/2hrs to where I used to live in NY & I can weekend visit, so excited. Where are you moving to?

I am originally from outside of Utica, NY-- Clinton. So I am job prospecting right now and trying to get my family back up there. When I left 7 years ago I didn't have any kids-- now I have 4 and want to be back around my mom/dad and family and my husband is from Rochester so his whole family is up there too!!
Good luck to you!! Be happy--life is too short!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 AM

280 posts, read 1,221,585 times
Default Thats my plan to be happy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloguru View Post
I am originally from outside of Utica, NY-- Clinton. So I am job prospecting right now and trying to get my family back up there. When I left 7 years ago I didn't have any kids-- now I have 4 and want to be back around my mom/dad and family and my husband is from Rochester so his whole family is up there too!!
Good luck to you!! Be happy--life is too short!
Wow 4 kids in 7yrs I can see why you need a job first. Good Luck to you and your family, the right job will come along when its time, it always does.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:49 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamsx View Post
Of course people move south and move back north - members of my own family included, and for all the reasons you might think:

* not quite as inexpensive as advertised
* pay not quite as advertised
* miss "home"
* schools not up to par
* health care requires long waits
* government programs for seniors not very good
* weather not "great" all year long

etc., etc
I moved south from Buffalo in 2001.

* It is cheaper here, taxes are less, gas is less, etc, but it is not a "cheap" place to live.

* I make 2x as much money here as I did in Buffalo.

* Don't miss Buffalo at all. I grew up in Detoit and as bad as that is, Buffalo was worse to me

* I don't know what you mean about long healthcare waits. I sat at sisters hospital ER for about 6 hours before I was seen in 1999. Recently I went to the ER at a busy hospital here and was seen within 30 minutes. We also have a LOT of urgent care centers here which cuts back on waits at hospitals. My fiance had something come up that was not quite an emergency about 3 years ago when we visited Buffalo. She needed to see a doctor, but we didn't want to go to the ER. There are only 2 urgent care areas in the Buffalo area which operate under limited hours. This is NY law so ER's and hospitals get more business and money, but ends up screwing the people who need urgent care or emergency attention, so the long health care waits are not an issue here and are much worse in Buffalo/WNY. Also, my fiance recently had blood clots. When we went to the ER in SC, she was seen IMMEDIATELY even though we didn't know what was wrong. This was also on a Friday night. Every doctor I have seen here too has been awesome. My current doctor is a graduate of Duke, which is one of the best schools for medicine.

*The schools near me (and I am now in Fort Mill, SC) are considered among the best in the entire country.

*Don't know about gov't programs for seniors, but most of that is federal, so not sure how a different state would affect it.

*Weather is awesome here. We get four seasons, very little snow and it's 50 degress in January when it's usually zero in Buffalo. Not to mention, if we want snow, it's only an hour to two hours away in the mountains.

My fiance is a native southern, her father is a graduate of NCSU and they have treated me like family from the first day I met them. They don't give a crap about north vs south silliness or anything like that.

Anyway, 2/3 of the people in metro Charlotte are from up north and there are more NY pizza places in the phone book than BBQ places now.

Also, I can be on the coast in 3 hours which sure beats the shores of Erie.

I was walking through the park recently and older Itlian lady with a NYC accent asked me what HS I went to. I thought that was awesome since I'll be 34 in a couple of months. She was with her husband who was from my hometown of Detroit.

Also, I don't have to worry about my car rusting out, brake lines/gas lines rusting, alternators dying on me in the middle of winter, etc.

Here is an article from the Charlotte Observer on 9/30/2007:

LIVING HERE
Is this still the South?
As transplants stream in, area's way of life evolves
LEIGH DYER
Charlotte Observer | 09/30/2007 | Is this still the South? (http://www.charlotte.com/livinghere/story/299378.html - broken link)
Moderator cut: copyright
Where the Region's Transplants Moved From:

Cabarrus County Catawba County Gaston County Iredell County Lincoln County Mecklenburg County Rowan County Union County York County, S.C.
Percentage of residents born outside of state, as of 2006:
41% 34% 30% 43% 30% 57% 32% 45% 55%
Of those transplants, percentage from:
Northeast 27% 18% 17% 28% 21% 25% 18% 27% 18%
Midwest 12% 12% 15% 17% 12% 12% 13% 12% 12%
South 40% 40% 46% 37% 37% 33% 44% 34% 57%
West 3% 8% 5% 7% 10% 6% 8% 5% 6%
Outside U.S. 17% 23% 17% 11% 20% 24% 17% 21% 8%

Living Here Leigh Dyer

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-09-2007 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Post original content only. Rephrase short articles; post links for long ones

Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention I moved to South Florida in the early 90s with some friends but I hated it there and moved back to WNY.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Odd. Doesn't sound like the same state I've lived in for 11 years now.
sure it does, you just don't want to see it.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:49 PM

I'll take a Charlotte summer over a Buffalo winter anyday. I remember one year when they had to call in the national guard to remove the snow. Last year Buffalo got MAJOR snow IN OCTOBER. You can say the south has hurricanes, etc, but only one hurricane has ever been recorded in Charlotte as it's a couple hundred miles inland from the coast. Buffalo to me was a very depressing city, the sun sometimes didn't shine for 2 or 3 weeks, it was always cold, the closed down factories were eerily depressing, the people think it's the greatest place on earth because the media perpetuates it so you'll stay there and watch the news. I mean c'mon, when you are 2nd only to Detoit in being the poorest city something is seriously wrong. On top of that, the politicians take all your money and then say the county is broke? What happened there? At least in Detroit they still have industry (though a troubled one) to keep them going other than the chicken wing and da Bills.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I'll take a Charlotte summer over a Buffalo winter anyday. I remember one year when they had to call in the national guard to remove the snow. Last year Buffalo got MAJOR snow IN OCTOBER. You can say the south has hurricanes, etc, but only one hurricane has ever been recorded in Charlotte as it's a couple hundred miles inland from the coast. Buffalo to me was a very depressing city, the sun sometimes didn't shine for 2 or 3 weeks, it was always cold, the closed down factories were eerily depressing, the people think it's the greatest place on earth because the media perpetuates it so you'll stay there and watch the news. I mean c'mon, when you are 2nd only to Detoit in being the poorest city something is seriously wrong. On top of that, the politicians take all your money and then say the county is broke? What happened there? At least in Detroit they still have industry (though a troubled one) to keep them going other than the chicken wing and da Bills.
If people say they are happy in Buffalo and are living and loving and enjoying life, why is it your job to tell them different? There are a lot more important things in some people's lives than sunny days and no snow such as friends and families being close by and when it's all said and done, if your life includes things that make YOU happy, leave the guy next to you alone who doens't have your top ten things on his fav list. And believe it or not, some people actually LOVE snow!!!!!! As for the south, when the water table starts getting lower and lower in those areas that have just exploded, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie and all those bountiful Finger Lakes will take on a whole new importance won't they?

Old 11-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Mmm...water from the Great Lakes or thirst? I would probably take the latter.

My point about the snow is Buffalo cannot handle it. They always say they can, but there are always situations where they can't. Then people say the snow doesn't kill anyone. It does. it kills many people through traffic accidents, hypothermia, drowning (falling through ice, etc). I like snow once in while tootoo. It's only 90 minutes away in the mountains most of the winter if I want to see it. Then I can drive 90 minutes back home to be away from it. If it snowed here eeryday I woud hate it too.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Mmm...water from the Great Lakes or thirst? I would probably take the latter.

My point about the snow is Buffalo cannot handle it. They always say they can, but there are always situations where they can't. Then people say the snow doesn't kill anyone. It does. it kills many people through traffic accidents, hypothermia, drowning (falling through ice, etc). I like snow once in while tootoo. It's only 90 minutes away in the mountains most of the winter if I want to see it. Then I can drive 90 minutes back home to be away from it. If it snowed here eeryday I woud hate it too.
Buffalo can't handle snow? Are you serious? And who ever said snow doesn't kill anyone? EVERY weather condition is capable of killing a person when overpowering.....guess how many people die during heatwaves and while vacationing on a beach........

Anyways, as for the dehydration you'd prefer over Great Lakes water, remember, the alternative the south is researching is treated ocean water.......yummy.....

Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
The number one weather related killer...heat exhaustion. Look it up if you don't believe me. When I was spending my last excruciating summer in NC this year, there were excessive heat warnings every day for 2 weeks straight. There was only one day in August that the temperature didn't get above 90. You can keep it. WNY can definitely handle its snow...Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse have the best snow removal systems in the country. And I'll take the damage Rochester got from the 92 icestorm (rochester's worst "natural disaster") over the damage and flooding Raleigh got from Hurricane Fran in '96 any day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York