Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,868 times

Advertisements

Went south for seven years, then came back home!!!!!!!!!!! There may be more jobs available down there, but we missed our "real" wings, snow instead of ice storms, and all the genuinely friendly folks in WNY. My advice: All the perks of WNY are worth weathering some winter and some lower-paying employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM

79 posts, read 259,077 times
I moved from WNY to Georgia a year ago looking for a good job, lower taxes, and warm weather. I have a good paying job, somewhat lower taxes (not that cheap), and warm weather all year. And I feel lost. I miss NY and can't wait to come back. I have met nice people here, but this just doesn't feel like home. I doubt that I will move back to WNY, but I'm seeking a job transfer to the NYC area so I can be near WNY.

Being happy is what matters most in life. Being near my family and friends is what is most important to me.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,280,167 times
If I could find work there as a Senior Geologist I'd go back. Love the 1,000 islands.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,585 times
I live in Buffalo and I'm looking to move to Charlotte. I was sucked in to the Buffalo vortex almost 20 years ago from NYC. The people here are so nice, great schools too. I kept waiting for Buffalo to recover financially from the steel plant closings, still waiting.
Buffalo is full of talented people working crappy jobs or leaving town. The storm last October left the trees as broken as the people here. it is depressing I cannot wait to leave this city of broken trees.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:29 AM

102 posts, read 365,366 times
I moved to Atlanta 17 years ago. Now, married with two small boys, I am ready to come back!!! We hope to make the move this summer.
Atlanta has changed so much since we moved here...we really miss Rochester!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,613,149 times
Let me tell you Ghanley...it feels great to come home to Rochester after a long time away!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,280,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedmolerat63 View Post
I live in Buffalo and I'm looking to move to Charlotte. I was sucked in to the Buffalo vortex almost 20 years ago from NYC. The people here are so nice, great schools too. I kept waiting for Buffalo to recover financially from the steel plant closings, still waiting.
Buffalo is full of talented people working crappy jobs or leaving town. The storm last October left the trees as broken as the people here. it is depressing I cannot wait to leave this city of broken trees.
I'm here in the Charlotte area and can't wait to get outta here.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,082,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post

Maybe you two can swap places?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 PM

121 posts, read 383,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I ate dinner tonight with several people, many of whom are Native North Carolininians (?). I found it funny that all of them had the same horror stories about Charlotte and Raleigh and said they would never ever move there themselves!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 15,184 times
Default Cortland or lansing NY

I am thinking of moving to the Cortland or Lansing area. I heard that the Lansing area could be "snobby" Is this true??. I know the schools are good. What about Cortland is it a poor community? What community would be friendly?? Family friendly. We are middle class working family. I like to be involved with the schools my children go to. Just wondering if anyone could help me with this decision. Of course if you know of another area near to those towns mentioned you think would be friendly please let me know.
Thank you so much for any information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York