Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 15,188 times

Advertisements

We did and moved back. We moved to Cary NC. We just could not get used to the "sunny" weather, large bugs and unbearable heat. I love NYS .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,872,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveupstateny View Post
I ate dinner tonight with several people, many of whom are Native North Carolininians (?). I found it funny that all of them had the same horror stories about Charlotte and Raleigh and said they would never ever move there themselves!

In my mind there are several reasons why you might meet native NC'ers who would say they would never move to Charlotte or Raleigh - if they have never lived in either city they came from either some other much smaller city, or a rural area. This could have left them prejudiced against our two largest cities just becasue of what they think they know about them. Until you have lived in one of them you cannot know what it is really like - but you could be afraid to do so because you perceive the crime rate as higher, the roads more crowded - that kind of thing.

It's a bit like me saying I would NEVER move to New York City - EVER (and I wouldn't) but even I know this is based on my own prejudice against that dirty, place with rude residents. Does that make my opinion truly a valid one of New York City - maybe, maybe not. I highly suspect the folks you ate dinner with are just like me

Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,450,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCELynn View Post
Went south for seven years, then came back home!!!!!!!!!!! There may be more jobs available down there, but we missed our "real" wings, snow instead of ice storms, and all the genuinely friendly folks in WNY. My advice: All the perks of WNY are worth weathering some winter and some lower-paying employment.
Friendly people in WNY? Yeah right. That was the most UN friendly place I have ever lived. And you can get "real" wings anywhere these days. A poultry by-product drenched in hot sauce would be no basis for me to move somewhere anyway. There are not many people who have not lived in Buffalo that have moved there. I was one of the few people that did, so I can tell you from an outsider's perspective that myself and most of my family did not like it.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Who the hell likes the whole month being between 98-104 everyday here in Charlotte this year. You couldn't even go outside why? because it was too friggin Hot and humid. With the bodies of water drying up here can you say Jet ski's and boats for sale here.
At least I could get in my air conditioned car and drive. No driving bans like the one Buffalo had in OCTOBER of 2006. While my brother was shovelling snow in Buffalo the other day, I was wearing shorts and changing the oil in my car (which by the way is not rusted like so many in WNY. No brakelines rusting and snapping, no gaslines leaking, no bolts rusted off, no need for dry gas, not as many dead batteries or alternators). You have tio remember to the 98-104 degrees were record temperatutre and 10r was the highest temperature EVER recorded in Charlotte. I'll still take the 100 degrees over 1 degree and weeks of gloomy skies at a time.

Last edited by groove1; 12-14-2007 at 01:30 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I'm here in the Charlotte area and can't wait to get outta here.
But you still try to sell houses here, on this board?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:22 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,197,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
At least I could get in my air conditioned car and drive. No driving bans like the one Buffalo had in OCTOBER of 2006. While my brother was shovelling snow in Buffalo the other day, I was wearing shorts and changing the oil in my car (which by the way is not rusted like so many in WNY. No brakelines rusting and snapping, no gaslines leaking, no bolts rusted off, no need for dry gas, not as many dead batteries or alternators). You have tio remember to the 98-104 degrees were record temperatutre and 10r was the highest temperature EVER recorded in Charlotte. I'll still take the 100 degrees over 1 degree and weeks of gloomy skies at a time.
Ahhh...groove , sitting on my porch today looking over the hill. 65 degrees, bright sun. I'm thinking can the weather be any better than this? No I decide, no it can't get any better. A nice little cold front and accompanying low pressure will bring us a nice soaking rain tomorrow, maybe an inch or so.
Temps will be 50 or 55 all next week, chilly but not cold enough to put on a coat for me. Nights will be cold but thats okay because its winter.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:18 PM

I'm fine with cold nights and even cold temps for a month or two since that means we still get all of the seasons. Of course, rain is welcome. I'd even take snow for some moisture.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,614,452 times
Quote:
Friendly people in WNY? Yeah right. That was the most UN friendly place I have ever lived. And you can get "real" wings anywhere these days. A poultry by-product drenched in hot sauce would be no basis for me to move somewhere anyway. There are not many people who have not lived in Buffalo that have moved there. I was one of the few people that did, so I can tell you from an outsider's perspective that myself and most of my family did not like it.
You don't sound like a terribly friendly person yourself right there. Maybe the citizens of Buffalo were just reacting to what they percieved as unfriendliness from you?

Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,197,759 times
Quote:
I'm fine with cold nights and even cold temps for a month or two since that means we still get all of the seasons. Of course, rain is welcome. I'd even take snow for some moisture.
oh very true..a few months of cold nights gives just enough feel of winter. I lived in Florida and to be honest, it was awful not having changes of seasons. I don't mind snow at all. Until its turns into slush, then its just plain ugly..

Old 12-14-2007, 04:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,614,452 times
I am bracing myself for that. I haven't experienced late winter/early spring in WNY for almost 13 years....only christmastime winter, which I love. March snow turns brown is all I remember. My famly is telling me that march snow melts much faster these days so the brown crap isn't quite as prevalent as it used to be...but we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York