Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,810,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveupstateny View Post
Yep, you're dead on with your observation. I also see Mass. & Connecticut as well as Maryland people everywhere in addition to the ones you mentioned. People on this board shouldn't be so hard on N. Carolinians because really it is all the transplants that create the need for the growth because our northeastern states have down a real fine job of creating work and affordable living!!!!!!!!
Yeah in no way are we discriminating against transplants. Sometimes they say we choose people in our area over outsiders, but thats again only because our base is highly educated. I think Durham has one of the highest percentages of PhD's in the nation. Plus we have 4 large schools within about 100 miles of each other (UNC/NCSU/Duke/Wake Forest). Many new jobs just go over to the new graduates. The area is growing like crazy, and it is good to see us getting a reality check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,172 times
The Tampa Bay area is a nice place to visit but ... There's no place like NY!
Me an the horse are headin' back home, where we belong.
Wolf

Old 04-23-2008, 05:11 PM

94 posts, read 459,529 times
Default Here is my rant

I live in Jamestown, NY and moved to NE Maryland last year. The reason why I moved back is because of my son (I couldn't stand to not be near him). I will say that there is positives and negatives. I am sure people have described this in nauseating detail so far, but here is my take from a WNYer who moved about a half hour from Baltimore.

Positive:

1. Being so close to the Chesapeake Bay. I actually live two houses away from a river that formed from the mouth of the bay.

2. Food. Maryland crabs say it all, but the other seafood was kick butt. Also, living next to such a large city, you get the big chains of restaurants like IHOP.

3. Shopping. Again, being next to b-more you have any kind of shopping you can imagine. I want to say that with-in 1 1/2 hours drive there where somehthing like 10 malls, not to mention outlet centers.

4. Culture. I was within a 1/2 hour of b-more. An hour and a half from D.C. and Philly and three hours from NYC.

5. History. Maryland is rich with history. I mean there is so much it would take such a long time to see it all. The town I lived in was actually burned down by the British in the Rev. War, how cool is that!

Negatives:

Well if I say that going from WNY to Maryland was culture shock that would be way to vague. So here we go.

1. Sprawl. I have never really seen it to this extent up close. Shopping centers, condos, town houses, just wrecking the land was kind of made sick at first (I'm a hippie at heart I think).

2. No central locations. I know there is a word for it, but you had to drive EVERYWHERE! Not like in WNY where in your city you could walk for pretty much all of your needs. Most of the "downtowns" around there where for the tourists.

3. The locals. I'm sorry, but WOW! Now this is my own opinion... WOW! There is a VERY clear cut line of who has the money and everyone else down that way. I was a manager at a Travel Center (truck stop), and the things I have seen still bother me to this day. At my store we where also in a town (not on the highway) so we had the local community coming to us as well. These people scared me...really bad. We have trailer parks in NY, but these people seemed to be a new level of trash (sad, but true). One instance I denied this kid ciggarettes b/c of no ID. He left, and his mom came in with her hair in rollers and stained pj's swearing at me with all of her limited vocabulary that her son was 22 and blah, blah, blah. That is just one story.

4. Driving. There should be no speed limit signs in MD. I would get my butt rode while going 15 over the speed limit. Not to mention the other various traffic violations that seem to be disregarded by the local fuzz.

5. I will stop after this b/c my hands are cramping. Cost of living. Now I can truly understand if you are living in a "prime" location such as waterfront, very safe areas, good schools, etc. but here it is all the same to me. Your nice condo on the water can go for $1500-2000 a month, but if you go down the street where the crackhead and gangsta's live it will cost you $1250-1500. Now maybe that is normal in MD, but up here if you rent something for $1500 you darn near get a mansion on a lake with 4 bdrms.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I would move down south again I think, but I would make a much more informed decision before moving. With this move, my company told me it was here or west of the Mississippi. God speed and good luck.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,790 times
Well buffalo schools are wonderful But its the parents that should be helping thier children learn .....no matter what school your child goes to they will be very sucessful if the parents help! Thats the problem people give it all to the teachers to teach the children and dont continue the learning at home!!!! I grew up in buffalo ny and moved to sc for my children to be out of the city but my children are all straight A students so i have no problems with the schools here!!! If your child is not doing well in school look at in the mirror and say "i'm not doing my job" "I failed my child" .....Sry but thats the way it is!

Old 03-21-2010, 05:49 PM

6 posts, read 12,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp05 View Post
Okay, but can you please tell me why you haven't had any problems and which part of NYS did you move down there from?

The thing I am wondering is if it's only people who liven in the NYC area that are having such a hard time with the southerners or if it is everyone from any part of NYS? I mean the only opinions on the south I seem to be finding are that of NYCers and LIers.
I'm originally from Auburn, New York, and I'm having a hard time in NC. I said in another post that beforehand, my mother and my late stepfather lived here because of a job transfer, so spending time with them was one good thing for me. My mother is now back up North. The reason I moved here is I thought there would be more to do. Now there is kind of, but when people don't know how to be friends, then there really isn't more for me to do. So the other good thing that happened to me here is I met my husband who grew up in NC. Although he grew up here, he really never liked it here and the reason has always been there's not much for him. He wanted to wait and get married before he made any kind of move. We recently put our house up for sale and we're hoping it sells quick and that we can get a job up there from down here. People can be rude everywhere but I have to say that I found more people to be rude down here than up there. Even my husband says that people are friendlier up North. Whenever we would go to visit, the day we would leave to come back to NC, he would be so down. I see how much he loves it up there, and so now I am praying this is the time for us to move back.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:31 PM

92,666 posts, read 122,967,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle MC View Post
I'm originally from Auburn, New York, and I'm having a hard time in NC. I said in another post that beforehand, my mother and my late stepfather lived here because of a job transfer, so spending time with them was one good thing for me. My mother is now back up North. The reason I moved here is I thought there would be more to do. Now there is kind of, but when people don't know how to be friends, then there really isn't more for me to do. So the other good thing that happened to me here is I met my husband who grew up in NC. Although he grew up here, he really never liked it here and the reason has always been there's not much for him. He wanted to wait and get married before he made any kind of move. We recently put our house up for sale and we're hoping it sells quick and that we can get a job up there from down here. People can be rude everywhere but I have to say that I found more people to be rude down here than up there. Even my husband says that people are friendlier up North. Whenever we would go to visit, the day we would leave to come back to NC, he would be so down. I see how much he loves it up there, and so now I am praying this is the time for us to move back.
Come on and we'll welcome you back. Maybe Syracuse would be a good spot for you both. It would be close to Auburn and has quite a bit to do. Camillus or B'ville would be in between both Auburn and Syracuse.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Come on and we'll welcome you back. Maybe Syracuse would be a good spot for you both. It would be close to Auburn and has quite a bit to do. Camillus or B'ville would be in between both Auburn and Syracuse.

Thank you. I used to hear about "Southern hospitality". They meant Northern hospitality. We really do hope it will work out. My brother in law works for a good company in Elbridge so let's hope he can get us both in. Or at least my husband anyway. Then I'd probably see about working at the Bon Ton in Camillus where I was before I moved here.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:49 PM

92,666 posts, read 122,967,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle MC View Post
Thank you. I used to hear about "Southern hospitality". They meant Northern hospitality. We really do hope it will work out. My brother in law works for a good company in Elbridge so let's hope he can get us both in. Or at least my husband anyway. Then I'd probably see about working at the Bon Ton in Camillus where I was before I moved here.
Here's some great websites to look for jobs: Central New York Jobs

Central New York Jobs

CNY Works - Works for All of Us

Local Employer Listings - CNY Works - Works for All of Us

http://www.syracuse.com/jobs/

Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 PM

Thank you for the links.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 PM

292 posts, read 722,592 times
Unfortunately, there are no real jobs up there, even if you have an education. My friends who have stayed who went to schools like the University of Rochester are either unemployed or they ended up with intermittent 2-6 month contracts of work. The rest are working at restaurants or retail and are chronically broke. I'm sure a similar fate would've awaited me if I stayed up there. While I am proud of being from WNY and believe places like Rochester have a lot of good things to offer, I can't ever envision myself moving back there for economic reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York