Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times

Advertisements

I'm a student in Newburgh and even I can see that the government is partially to blame. The same man sits there making all these terrible budget proposals, seeking out to shut down FD and limit PO. I think the town of Newburgh could at leas make some sort of agreement or contract to include town of Newburgh police, they don't do anything anyway! Now I dont mean this offensively but is it really necessary to have 10 police officers in Walmart?! (yes I counted). Anyway 2010 ( I believe) was a very togh year with the murder of Levi Flores, and things just got worse. What people don't understand is that aside from the obvious gang issues, there are more problems then one can see. Everytime there's an article in the paper about a newburgh kid every one automatically assumes the kid is being stupid. Yes a lot of the time they are but at the same time those very kids people point a finger at are the kids that come to school crying, angry, depressed and sometimes on the verge of suicide. I go to to NFA North campus which is a lot more relaxed than main campus and I see these things all the time. A lot of the time the kids getting in to trouble are some o the nicest, most intelligent people you will meet but they've been surrounded by a Parent or family member who is part of a gang legacy, that's the burden they have to carry. and there's only a chunk of Newburgh that is actually bad. It's from Dubois down to where broadway turns to brick, anything up and down that is fine. and with the recent arrest of over 77 gang members crime has gone down.

Anyway aside from that the school district does a lot of stupid things but the schools are not bad they offer a lot of opportunities that other schools dont offer. For example an effect of the rising teen pregnancy rate nfa has made a parenting class, where soon to be parents learn how to keep their child away from the wrong path, how to take care of the baby physically and financially. Other programs include a free on campus day care for the community, as well as certification in nursing assistant, cosmetology assistant, first aid and CPR, auto mechanic assistant, body work, welding, chef assistant, cabinet making etc. They give the nursing students a 180 hour internship, an 8 hour security gaurd exam. They have an on campus auto shop for reduced rates for the community as well as an on campus salon.
Newburgh only gets recognized for the bad and not the good. Honestly how many people here knOw that an NFA graduate got accepted in Harvard with a full scholarship? That's a big deal! Apparently not to news stations.

Sorry for all this but obviously I am sick of all the negative heat about Newburgh too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
As much as I would like to see Newburgh (specifically the city) turn it around // one day flourish (and it should, due to its prime location along the Hudson along with its relatively short distance to NYC and Albany), its tough to defend the criticism it receives while it continues to pull in the highest violent crime rate in NYS year after year. Until that ceases to be the case, the City of Newburgh just isn't a place that one can recommend to a relocating family. The town is a different story...

Jazzii - pretty amazing how many cops are stationed at that Walmart. (rightly so, I guess -> The Newburgh and Middletown Walmarts are the only ones in the state to have the self checkout lines removed due to theft).

Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Honestly I find that kind of funny. But besides the point lol, I could understand I they were at least walking around, checking bags etc. But they talk to people that come in, not once have I seen a cop doing something productive, more than likely I'll see them on the phone. If I wanted to I could probably grab a Walmart bag, pack half the shampoo isle and walk out.

I know Newburgh has a bad rep. I'm just saying over the past 2 years it has improved and Even if It hadn't they dont point out the good things that do happen. Like the talent show at the ritz, the girl on a full ride to Harvard, the SAVY group at nfa that does fundraisers to prevet violence ( students against violence in youth) the amazing work Diedra Glen has done at the Newburgh armory, she created a safe haven for children, and a unity garden for the community. Like I said I understand how Newburgh is always negatively looked at but I wish I would also be seen just a little bit, for what is good.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:34 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
but it seems like the city has a lot of potential for gentrification and for revitilization due to it's location and architecture.
Lol! Don't even start, we have that enough already on the NYC forum. Newburgh City is a terrible dump with no future in sight.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 07-30-2011 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 04:55 PM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Lol! Don't even start, we have that enough already on the NYC forum. Newburgh City is a terrible dump with no future in sight.
What? I don't believe that it is hopeless.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:09 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Well, maybe someday some notable revitalization can happen but not in the near future IMO.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Uh, There is a lot revitalization happening in Newburgh right now. The problem is it's going to take a few decades or even a generation to get the thinking of Newburgh is a dump out of people's mind.

Newburgh Restoration - Blog encouraging the revitilization of New Yorks other City

Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Uh, There is a lot revitalization happening in Newburgh right now. The problem is it's going to take a few decades or even a generation to get the thinking of Newburgh is a dump out of people's mind.

Newburgh Restoration - Blog encouraging the revitilization of New Yorks other City
Exactly.

Newburgh has a lot going for it, perhaps more than other struggling cities within NY.

I think one factor that gets overlooked is that Newburgh is quite diverse (...if there was a way to better harness this diversity and create a more positive environment within the city....(IE: more cultural events...just a thought)

Can't overlook its location on the Hudson and distance from NYC....

Not hopeless by any means.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 PM

197 posts, read 636,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Exactly.

Newburgh has a lot going for it, perhaps more than other struggling cities within NY.

I think one factor that gets overlooked is that Newburgh is quite diverse (...if there was a way to better harness this diversity and create a more positive environment within the city....(IE: more cultural events...just a thought)

Can't overlook its location on the Hudson and distance from NYC....

Not hopeless by any means.
LOL.. Believe me Newburgh's "diversity" is not overlooked by anybody. Would more diversity make Newburgh a better place? LOL

Old 05-05-2019, 01:09 PM

17 posts, read 10,344 times
This thread is like a time capsule. Especially the part about 500k shells in bed Stuy. Bet you wish you had bought one!

Anyway the poster saying newburgh was ripe for revitalization was 100% right. Look what’s going on now. Back then some newburgh homes were 50k. Shells were 5k. Maybe even 2k. Now the shells are 100k.

The other opinion that it will never come back is just the average opinion. No Vision no optimism. Total follower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York