Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:05 PM

60 posts, read 188,386 times

Advertisements

What do you think about the crime spike in binghamton recently personally i think its gonna get worse here i think theres been somthing like 4 murders and lots of other violent crimes this year what do you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 AM

93,214 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoricanwhite View Post
What do you think about the crime spike in binghamton recently personally i think its gonna get worse here i think theres been somthing like 4 murders and lots of other violent crimes this year what do you think
Actually, Binghamton has had worse years in the past. Sometimes, crime can get worse versus some other years. It all depends. I still wouldn't say that the area is awful in terms of crime....yet or as of now. I believe that I posted some information about crime in the area over a 20 year period on another post.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 AM

43 posts, read 109,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Binghamton has had worse years in the past. Sometimes, crime can get worse versus some other years. It all depends. I still wouldn't say that the area is awful in terms of crime....yet or as of now. I believe that I posted some information about crime in the area over a 20 year period on another post.
2008 was the worst year ever for violent crime, which all though it wasnt that high it shows where things are going. Listen to the scanner after 11 pm, its a zoo now.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 AM

961 posts, read 2,502,359 times
...Those recent arrests of gang-bangers in Binghamton should be looked at as a positive sign. It's when
there's evidence of gang activity and no law enforcement action happening..that you should become really concerned.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
...Those recent arrests of gang-bangers in Binghamton should be looked at as a positive sign. It's when
there's evidence of gang activity and no law enforcement action happening..that you should become really concerned.
I think its GREAT for the city than they are know admitting there are gangs. They said there are 6 street gangs in BC. Now that they admit there are gangs they can do something about it.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCities View Post
2008 was the worst year ever for violent crime, which all though it wasnt that high it shows where things are going. Listen to the scanner after 11 pm, its a zoo now.
I'm not surprised given the location between the major Upstate NY cities, NYC and Philadelphia. There has always been some activity due to drugs whether it was the mob in the past or gangs now. With some areas of NYC getting gentrified, you might see some people from rough neighborhoods there moving to cities in Upstate NY or NE Pennsylvania, which has happened. Syracuse has had some rough years not too long ago, comparably speaking, but crime has steadily gone down recently. It would be interesting to compare Binghamton to other cities that are similar. I wouldn't be surprised if the crime rate is lower than most.

Also, besides 2008, there have been some other years where the homicide number has gone over 4 in the past.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not surprised given the location between the major Upstate NY cities, NYC and Philadelphia. There has always been some activity due to drugs whether it was the mob in the past or gangs now. With some areas of NYC getting gentrified, you might see some people from rough neighborhoods there moving to cities in Upstate NY or NE Pennsylvania, which has happened. Syracuse has had some rough years not too long ago, comparably speaking, but crime has steadily gone down recently. It would be interesting to compare Binghamton to other cities that are similar. I wouldn't be surprised if the crime rate is lower than most.

Also, besides 2008, there have been some other years where the homicide number has gone over 4 in the past.
Oh I have done that before, Binghamton is considerably lower, again its where the cities going and how fast its going there.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Well Ive compared it to all the major upstate new york cities. I havent done it compared to simillar pop sizes across the us.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCities View Post
I think its GREAT for the city than they are know admitting there are gangs. They said there are 6 street gangs in BC. Now that they admit there are gangs they can do something about it.
I agree and they know where it stems from. Not recognizing that reality would have been a mistake and now it can help to pinpoint crime. I wouldn't be surprised if there has always been some type of gang activity in the area(mob activity, ethnic gangs, etc.)

Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Actually, I thought that Binghamton has been making some strides in terms of new projects in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York