U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,159 times

Advertisements

Possibly moving to Elmira with my fiance as he is taking a job in Horsehead. He has lived in Bronx Ny his whole life and I spent many years in Brooklyn Ny until I had my daughter at which time I moved back upstate to Dutchess county Poughkeepsie area (which is where I orginally come from) my question is, because my daughter is half sicilian and half black it has been hard for her living in the more suburban outskirts of the city of poughkeepsie. The majority of people where we live since she has started school has always been white, and it is very hard for her, even though she has made a few friends usually she cant figure out why some parents dont allow her to visit their home, and vise versa. It is also hars because she feels like she stands out and cant really be herself because she has to fit into the "white girl" mold (not meaning anything offensive). My question is, based on statistics I have looked at Elmira is also prodominately white, with very few black and latino people. Is Elmira a bad move? is there another area we can move that is still with in a 20 min commute to horsehead but maybe a little more multicultural and accepting. I want her to be in good safe schools and I want to live in a safe area but it doesnt necessarily need to be the very conservative suburbs but Im not looking for the ruralness of East New York, Brooklyn either (if anyone knows where that is and the unbelieveably high crime rate there) Thanks for anyone who may be able to help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 03:27 PM

200 posts, read 575,282 times
The area is very, very, rural. It will be quite a culture shock. Take a weekend and visit the area. In my opinion, it will probably not be the move for you. Don't get me wrong, the people in the area are very nice, and there are some things to do, but if you're coming from Brooklyn, or even Dutchess county, the Elmira area is going to seem like another country. You can check out Corning. It's a nicer area in my opinion, but is even less diverse than Elmira. Really, though, take a trip through the area and you'll see what I mean. Best of Luck!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 AM

76,418 posts, read 104,236,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicilianna View Post
Possibly moving to Elmira with my fiance as he is taking a job in Horsehead. He has lived in Bronx Ny his whole life and I spent many years in Brooklyn Ny until I had my daughter at which time I moved back upstate to Dutchess county Poughkeepsie area (which is where I orginally come from) my question is, because my daughter is half sicilian and half black it has been hard for her living in the more suburban outskirts of the city of poughkeepsie. The majority of people where we live since she has started school has always been white, and it is very hard for her, even though she has made a few friends usually she cant figure out why some parents dont allow her to visit their home, and vise versa. It is also hars because she feels like she stands out and cant really be herself because she has to fit into the "white girl" mold (not meaning anything offensive). My question is, based on statistics I have looked at Elmira is also prodominately white, with very few black and latino people. Is Elmira a bad move? is there another area we can move that is still with in a 20 min commute to horsehead but maybe a little more multicultural and accepting. I want her to be in good safe schools and I want to live in a safe area but it doesnt necessarily need to be the very conservative suburbs but Im not looking for the ruralness of East New York, Brooklyn either (if anyone knows where that is and the unbelieveably high crime rate there) Thanks for anyone who may be able to help!
Actually, Elmira Schools has quite a few Black students and a few Hispanic students. For instance, Elmira Free Academy, which is one of the high schools in the district, is about 22% Black and about 3-4% Hispanic. So, that district has it's share of students of color. Elmira's East Side is probably about 35-40% Black. Corning has some as well, but not as many. Corning's South Side/South Corning is where most of the Black community is concentrated in that city/area. There is also a handful of Asian students in the Corning SD too.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:43 AM

43 posts, read 104,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Elmira Schools has quite a few Black students and a few Hispanic students. For instance, Elmira Free Academy, which is one of the high schools in the district, is about 22% Black and about 3-4% Hispanic. So, that district has it's share of students of color. Elmira's East Side is probably about 35-40% Black. Corning has some as well, but not as many. Corning's South Side/South Corning is where most of the Black community is concentrated in that city/area. There is also a handful of Asian students in the Corning SD too.
Yeah the east side has neighborhoods that are more black than white.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCities View Post
Yeah the east side has neighborhoods that are more black than white.
Yep, some people forget about that with Elmira.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM

4,273 posts, read 10,977,921 times
I was delaying my response because I thought sure someone would suggest looking towards Ithaca by now but it doesn't seem anyone has. The multiculturalism of Ithaca is generally associated with an Ivy League university, whereas Elmira is a town where much industry has moved away but prisons remain. Thus the vibe is very different.

The commute will be at least a bit more than 20 minutes from any location in Ithaca City School District to anything with a Horseheads address, NY 13 is a fairly fast two-lane road but one does need to be careful in the winter going over 2 good sized hills.

Enfield is a more rural location in Ithaca City schools, that would get you up on 1 of the hills if you are tolerant of side roads leading to Route 13.

You might also consider Newfield, Trumansburg, and Spencer-Van Etten school districts as some socializing influence of Ithaca would extend to these, though perhaps not enough for you. These districts would be considered by most to be more rural than suburban.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I was delaying my response because I thought sure someone would suggest looking towards Ithaca by now but it doesn't seem anyone has. The multiculturalism of Ithaca is generally associated with an Ivy League university, whereas Elmira is a town where much industry has moved away but prisons remain. Thus the vibe is very different.

The commute will be at least a bit more than 20 minutes from any location in Ithaca City School District to anything with a Horseheads address, NY 13 is a fairly fast two-lane road but one does need to be careful in the winter going over 2 good sized hills.

Enfield is a more rural location in Ithaca City schools, that would get you up on 1 of the hills if you are tolerant of side roads leading to Route 13.

You might also consider Newfield, Trumansburg, and Spencer-Van Etten school districts as some socializing influence of Ithaca would extend to these, though perhaps not enough for you. These districts would be considered by most to be more rural than suburban.
Great point and I thought about that after the fact. Ithaca City Schools are generally good to very good too. Danby might be another town in that district to consider as well.

Even Newfield is becoming more diverse in terms of it's school demographics and could possibly work. It is a smaller school district too. Same with Trumansburg.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:45 AM

4,273 posts, read 10,977,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Danby might be another town in that district to consider as well.
West Danby would work, climbing the hill up to Newfield, but that's Newfield schools. Danby hamlet on 96B isn't convenient to Elmira direction because the roads don't go that way.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 PM

5,617 posts, read 14,845,329 times
from where you are coming from you will be so stir crazy, skinny (cant eat the food) and miserable. The best stimulation will be the big oak tree! Its dead! Its boring, and non mentally stimulating. I would not move there from the area you are coming from. If you told me you were from lets say Sussex County, NJ or Mount Kisco or Goshen or Fishkill and these towns /areas are quiet but in the NY METRO area. You are out of the NY Metro area being in Elmira .I would say fine but from Bronx/Brooklyn BIG CHANGE!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM

5,617 posts, read 14,845,329 times
take note that you are out of the NY metro area so that means hillbillies /rural/poverty/keystone light and nascar! Trust me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York