Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM

177 posts, read 313,989 times

Advertisements

I am originally from LI, my husband from small town Texas. We're currently in Central Oklahoma. We have one child who is three and has high functioning Autism.

None of the three of us love a big city feel - we're relatively low key people who enjoy simple things. I have never been able to adjust to life in the South - it's too hot for my taste and I find the people to be pleasant in a very surface kind of way. We are big fans of the Zoo and natural history.

There's a complete void of services for our son. I'm not looking for anything exotic - his major issues are social. He really just needs a little patience and understanding and a structured smaller setting and he's totally fine. I can't find that here. I can't even locate a play group that isn't in the morning when he's at his special ed program and I'm working (I'm pulling part time hours from home)...

We had been focused on NH because we thought we could afford to live there, and we could but it would be tough. My husband has felt guilty that we couldn't move back to LI - there's no way we could survive without sponging off my parents and that's not an option at all.

Batavia came to my attention somewhat by happy accident. My employer has a location there. When I saw how far upstate it was I was discouraged (8 hour drives don't get me very excited though they're better than 6 hours on two planes). When I saw how affordable it was I became more encouraged. Having Rochester and Buffalo nearby sweetened the deal.

Please - offer me some insight. I like the fact that there are recognizable retail stores in the area. I also love that the school for the blind is there - I am hoping that people are a little more tolerant of those of us who are a wee bit different. I know the prop taxes are high by some people's standards, but I want nice schools and good services so that's fine with me. Jobs are not an issue for us right now. My husband has some concerns but it looks like he may have better luck in his field in Buffalo than we would in Rochester. Crime stats don't look all that terrible and the houses we've seen on the market appear to be in mostly good condition.

Help! I wanna come home and this looks like it's a nice fit for what our family needs...

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I think you would be fine in Batavia. I'm not sure if they would have the services he would need, but it looks like everything else would be fine. Would you be open to other areas of Upstate NY too? Here's a school my daughter went to and my son goes there now: http://www.jowonio.org/

Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 AM

177 posts, read 313,989 times
We're certainly open to other places.

The biggest challange we need to overcome is cost. We're moving from a place where the cost of living is very low. We don't expect our home to sell for more than 150,000, and we'd like to try to keep our costs as low as possible. A lot of things are really close in comparison (sales tax, income tax) and other things are not even - prop taxes in NY are wayyy higher, homeowners will be wayyy lower (unless we pick a flood plain). I have a feeling car insurance might be close. We'll have higher bills for heating, but we won't have to cool the house all summer. I know groceries will be more, but NY doesn't tax food (unless something has changed) so I think that will help us too. So these are all considerations.

My job is pretty secure - they're waiting for me to find a better situation for my son so I can take more hours which I would really love to be able to do. My husband's job is a different story. His background is in banking and banking software - both are not good industries to be in right now. His company has gone through a number of transitions in the last few years. If he did wind up out of work we'd be hard pressed for him to find something here, a possible option or two where ever we wind up would be wonderful.

We'd like good schools. I am very involved in my son's education at this point and have no plans of that changing. We're really looking for tolerance more than anything where he's concerned. He has had some really horrid experiences with people in this part of the country. He will not have any trouble with academics - he's already ahead there. It's always social stuff and tolerance of his inherent "weirdness".

The motivation to move stemmed from our son's need, but it's very important that we can survive where ever we wind up. If we get him into a great program but are constantly stressed over money it won't help him at all. So we're trying to find an acceptable balance. From my perspecitive, most places in NY will have much more to offer than we have in the entire state of OK.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Ducks View Post
We're certainly open to other places.

The biggest challange we need to overcome is cost. We're moving from a place where the cost of living is very low. We don't expect our home to sell for more than 150,000, and we'd like to try to keep our costs as low as possible. A lot of things are really close in comparison (sales tax, income tax) and other things are not even - prop taxes in NY are wayyy higher, homeowners will be wayyy lower (unless we pick a flood plain). I have a feeling car insurance might be close. We'll have higher bills for heating, but we won't have to cool the house all summer. I know groceries will be more, but NY doesn't tax food (unless something has changed) so I think that will help us too. So these are all considerations.

My job is pretty secure - they're waiting for me to find a better situation for my son so I can take more hours which I would really love to be able to do. My husband's job is a different story. His background is in banking and banking software - both are not good industries to be in right now. His company has gone through a number of transitions in the last few years. If he did wind up out of work we'd be hard pressed for him to find something here, a possible option or two where ever we wind up would be wonderful.

We'd like good schools. I am very involved in my son's education at this point and have no plans of that changing. We're really looking for tolerance more than anything where he's concerned. He has had some really horrid experiences with people in this part of the country. He will not have any trouble with academics - he's already ahead there. It's always social stuff and tolerance of his inherent "weirdness".

The motivation to move stemmed from our son's need, but it's very important that we can survive where ever we wind up. If we get him into a great program but are constantly stressed over money it won't help him at all. So we're trying to find an acceptable balance. From my perspecitive, most places in NY will have much more to offer than we have in the entire state of OK.
Perhaps look at the Syracuse area. That is where that school is located and is very good. I wish it went beyond Pre-K, to be honest. You could also network with other families in a similar situation as to what schools would be good for your son. Syracuse is very affordable in terms of housing and has enough to do for families, that you don't have to be bored. Here are some websites that might help: Central New York Jobs

www.cnyrealtor.com

www.cnyhomes.com

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

CNY ASA - CNY Autism Society of America

STARS (Social Training for youth with Autism and Related Syndromes)

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Family Times is an award-winning magazine with staff-written news, feature stories and artwork that inform and inspire Central New York parents and their children. - Home

Syracuse Parent and CNY Family (http://www.syracuseparent.net/bjerred/article.php?article_id=tO1215779383t4877523782bae - broken link)

Old 01-02-2012, 02:10 AM

46 posts, read 120,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think you would be fine in Batavia. I'm not sure if they would have the services he would need, but it looks like everything else would be fine. Would you be open to other areas of Upstate NY too? Here's a school my daughter went to and my son goes there now: Jowonio School
I know these posts are over a year old but I wanted to thank you ckhthankgod for posting these helpful links. We are considering a relocation to the Syracuse or Rochester area (coming from CA) with a slightly similar situation for our son. I am wondering, where do most children go after attending a school like Jowonio since it is only up to pre k? Are there other "alternative" or progressive schools around that can offer a different learning environment?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3 View Post
I know these posts are over a year old but I wanted to thank you ckhthankgod for posting these helpful links. We are considering a relocation to the Syracuse or Rochester area (coming from CA) with a slightly similar situation for our son. I am wondering, where do most children go after attending a school like Jowonio since it is only up to pre k? Are there other "alternative" or progressive schools around that can offer a different learning environment?
Well, from what I know, many of the kids go to public schools around the area. I know with the Syracuse City SD, Ed Smith Elementary seems to be good in terms of special education and it gets a range of kids economically, racially, ethnically and in terms of ability. It is a district with its urban school problems, but you also have your share of students that do fine.

I've heard that districts like East Syracuse-Minoa, Onondaga Central, Liverpool and Baldwinsville have good special education programs for similar children. You also have a program like this, which my daughter is in: Onondaga - Cortland - Madison Counties BOCES

I have heard of some children getting services at the very good Eastern suburban school districts(Jamesville-DeWitt and Fayetteville-Manlius), but I would see how good they are first, if interested.

As for alternative/progressive schools and information, you may be interested in the following: Montessori School of Syracuse > Home

Montessori Discovery School, Syracuse/Dewitt NY -- Preschool and Kindergarten for ages 3-6

The New School · K-8 Education · Syracuse, NY

Family Times is an award-winning magazine with staff-written news, feature stories and artwork that inform and inspire Central New York parents and their children. - Special Needs Directory

Hope Hall School Web site

Stepping Stones Learning Center - A unique learning environment for children with and without special needs

Special Needs > Education/Learning Programs| Genesee Valley Parent Magazine, Rochester, NY (http://gvparent.com/online-guides/special-needs-education-learing-programs.html - broken link)
Special Needs Guide | Genesee Valley Parent Magazine

Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 AM

46 posts, read 120,944 times
Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. You have given me in 1 day what has taken me 3 years to find and research myself here in CA! (a little exageration) I needed to be reassured that there are options in NY should we decide to move there. Not sure if we would try public school first and only go another route if it didn't work out. And there's always homeschool which we resorted to here - but I've heard NY isn't a homeschool friendly state??? Not sure - looks like I better start posting some more questions!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 AM

570 posts, read 1,339,640 times
I'm not sure how NY compares to other states for homeschooling. But I have personally known many families who homeschool, even in my small area (the Southern Tier).

Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 14,995 times
It is a district with its urban school problems, but you also have your share of students that do fine. http://www.*****.info/g.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York