Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,072 times

Advertisements

Well if you love them that's fine if you don't love them then unfortunately the Town of Stamford in the Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York has done a good job of letting Invenergy's lawyer's write a law that would let them build 34 425ft (old left overs from GE,ENRON and Denmark won't use them) commercial wind turbines in Stamford and Roxbury - if Plattekill Mountain rings a bell then your close.

When not if approved they will dynamite the top of the Mooresville Range in northeastern Delaware County and erect these save the planet jokes. Each one will require 5 acres of land cleared and concreted - I guess people can imagine such a beautiful place being essentially ruined for all of time -

There is only a "guarantee" of life expectancy of a wind turbine even a small 100 watt wind generating electrical device
(to be nice as they say 20 years? Certainly not without a little love and care over time - they have 700 gallons of petroleum in them so they spin)
And when those rusty old giants are sitting there and these LLC master minds of corporate greed are gone then the towns can sit and pass that on for a greener America...

Industrial Wind Action Group | Wind firm files plan

Western Catskill Preservation Alliance

These are the guys that are saving the planet

YouTube - Boiler Room Trailer

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 07-10-2007 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 05:40 PM

Well a small update - with permission

Western Catskill Preservation Alliance

To Friends of the WCPA,

Here’s a quick update on the Article 78.

We are expecting a legal response from the Town of Stamford and Invenergy on Monday, July 9. A request for an adjournment and/or a change in venue (to Delaware County) is possible and likely.

However, as it stands today, we are scheduled for a hearing on Friday morning, July 13 at the Norwich court house on 5 Court Street. I will let you know the time as soon as I find out.

We expect things to change this week; as I learn more I will pass it on.

The hearing on Friday, if it happens, is open to the public. The WCPA needs to be well represented at the meeting, so please attend if you are able to.

We would like to thank everyone that has put up a “No Industrial Wind Turbines” sign on their property. The signs are having a great effect by bringing more awareness to the issue. If you would like a sign please email us at WCPA06@AOL.com.

Thanks for your on-going support!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Meredith OKs wind-power regulation

Meredith OKs wind-power regulation

Meredith OKs wind-power regulation (broken link)

Unfortunately the weak greedy town board has decided to take the bribe - too bad - why should 3 people decide to completely override a petition of 800 people and I know for fact that over 2000 residents oppose commercial wind turbines.

The only people that want them are a few land owners getting a measly 3000 dollars a year to have a 425ft wind turbine that will generate electricity (another topic) for downstaters - no electricity or can be used locally in Delaware County - (please be smarter with these city folk you could have gotten a lot more ha ha)!

O of course the wind energy company get to write off 3 million dollars of bad debt for every turbine installed. No towns in Upstate NY that have these turbines have been paid!

Alliance for Meredith Home Page

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 07-19-2007 at 05:20 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 AM

136 posts, read 778,311 times
Any idea if they're planning any of these around Margaretville, Denver, Halcottsville, Fleischmanns, Andes, Bovina, New Kingston, etc?

I suppose it's best to be at least a couple of miles from the nearest one?

Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 AM

Currently Bovina has instituted a ban on commercial wind projects - albeit not without a year long knock down drag out battle with the town being unfairly divided by the proposals and sneaky tactics of these LLC greedy slime balls.

Bovina Industrial Wind Energy Project - Delaware County, New York

Andes also shortly after this past spring banned commercial wind turbines, but allowed residential turbines under 125 - In Bovina although residents were not opposed to individual/residential private use turbines the board decided since there were mostly for it to also ban residential wind energy. Kind cut off your nose to spite your face. However they did allow for small under 125 ft turbines for farm only use under the agricultural and market laws in NYS. It was basically a way for the board to allow the lease holders to get there way, however these turbines cannot be hooked up to the grid.
As far as I know Margaretville has been out of the controversy. New Kingston with its proximity to Bovina would have been greatly affected, but given Andes and Bovina have banned them (for now) it probably would not be desirable for the energy companies to pursue.

You would be surprised how many rural towns not only here but all over the world face the exact same issue. I mean stick them out where there is nothing for 100 of miles, put all the turbines up you want, but not a 1000ft from my house ty.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 AM

" A Solar-Wind-Turbine is 20X more efficient in a gust!"

What is a solar-wind-turbine?

And you understand that this thread is anti-commercial wind power? I guess it doesn't matter as you have posted the same spam on a bunch of threads - I guess to promote your whacky web site or something, Use a better English translator next time...

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 07-20-2007 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM

For people that are interested in what people really think about "green energy" from wind and the devastating impact of these useless giants

The sound in the beginning is low but fine after a while

YouTube - The Voices of Tug Hill, Part 1 of 3

YouTube - The Voices of Tug Hill, Part 2 of 3

YouTube - The Voices of Tug Hill, Part 3 of 3

Old 07-20-2007, 07:22 PM

914 posts, read 2,918,132 times
This has been a festering controversy for quite some time now, so if towns aren't getting paid as promised, wouldn't word have gotten out by now? You would think with all the info out there about what kinds of problems these things cause (one of which is the lowering of property values) people (farmers, town councils,etc.) would think twice before allowing them.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
This has been a festering controversy for quite some time now, so if towns aren't getting paid as promised, wouldn't word have gotten out by now? You would think with all the info out there about what kinds of problems these things cause (one of which is the lowering of property values) people (farmers, town councils,etc.) would think twice before allowing them.
In my experience very few people fall in the middle - either your against them, because you believe that they are a scam for all the reasons that can be easily found, noise, shadow flicker, environmental destruction (for green energy?), water runoff create new flood zones, bird/bat mortality, migration patterns being disrupted, that fact that they don't produce very much power. The only people benefiting are the LLC front men for the European energy companies who make their money and dissolve the company and move on to the next victim. leaving towns and residents little to no options (Monorail?).

Or you are for them either because of some save the planet higher calling - you hold a lease and don't care because you are getting paid - not your neighborers they have to deal with the problems. Or greedy town boards members hold a blind eye for a variety of reasons (They hold a lease or family /friend has one) Like all small towns they run them like a private club - Imagine if your neighbor decided to build put a 425 ft pole in his backyard, many people would not be for for that especially if it sat there and did nothing.

It is a complicated subject and the point of this thread was to inform people in the area or looking in this area of the new projects that are in the beginning of the approval process, not to start a wind war. Many people are looking for their dream home - find it - only to find that 35 commercial wind turbines are being build next to them. In Cohocton, NY a couple purchases land ten years ago to retire, unbeknown to them the town put through a wind law that stated in their situation they would be too close to the turbines so they would not be allowed to build for safety reasons ON THEIR OWN LAND! In a way I can see why recently on a wind farm in Pennsylvania a turbine lost a blade and it flew a 1000 ft onto a neighbors property This happens to many people looking to move to a more peaceful place and get they really reemed because all of these deals are behind closed doors between land owners the "energy" companies and the town so many times people have no idea, even if they try to find out you may not be able to find out or do anything about it.

At the end of the day for people in Upstate, NY if Spitszer gets his way the State will claim eminent domain and just take peoples land and put them up where ever they want - this is a real possibility New Yorkers - just like they took the water...

Shavertown, NY (defunct)

A memorial to the little town that was sacrificed for New York City

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 07-21-2007 at 08:00 AM..

Old 07-21-2007, 02:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,833 times
So what is the deal with these New York wind turbines? Are they just noisier old models? In my research I've discovered turbines going up all over Europe, some in very populated places and I'm not reading the same noise complaints being made as some of the people who live near them here. I've also discovered other designs, ones that look like giant egg beaters, that seem to eliminate the noise issue entirely. What if the wind companies went with those designs?

Looking at the environmental impact of the turbines, I have to say their footprint is pretty small and I have to say, I'd rather have some of these around rather than more coal-fired electric plants which put out horrendous amounts of CO2, particulates, and toxic waste. The giant smoke stacks are even less attractive in my view.

I understand your opposition to the business model of these things, with LLCs being created to scam towns and government agencies, but what about those built by legitimate power companies?

If not wind turbines, then what would you suggest? I like the idea of Kerrick process plants myself since so much of the waste isn't waste at all, though it doesn't solve the CO2 emissions issue.

It really pays to give alternatives if you're opposed to something. Telling people something stinks without telling them what would work smacks of simplistic reactionary NIMBYism and turns people off to your message. We need clean domestic energy sources. Tell us what you like as a viable alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York