Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,988,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's obvious what needs to be done..immediately cut all overtime and extracurricular padding of pensions. The problem is that the unions behind these pensions don't care if the state goes bankrupt and you get taxed off your keister..they want to get paid and arbitration keeps saying they should get paid more because the next municipality over got paid more, and so on goes the snowball.

It's very important that the federal govt bail out NY State so some guy who took his pension and fled to Florida doesn't have to work a part time job. I'm thinking that isn't going to fly in Congress.
It's too bad NYS doesn't have a governor like Christie, instead you elected Betty Crocker and the Pillsbury DoughBoy to talk about making $10 meals, while the rest of the state is on the bread line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM

764 posts, read 1,546,848 times
Default hmm

I will get bashed for this . I am a civil service employee who is in the pension systemk But I am low end of the food chain.

Please keep in mind its management,teachers,union heads,and politicians who end up with the huge pensions.

Most state employees do not get huge pensions. Heck I have to pay into my pension . Also I am not allowed any overtime what so ever.

The main problem is caused by the people who make the laws and will not do anything about them.

Its us small people on the front lines who get stepped on. The people at the desks at the dmv who get yelled at all day by you guys, the people at the desks dealing with the homeless. The people dealing with the mentally handicapped. All the people lucky if they make 40k a year.

Yet you see us all the time and blame us .

Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,988,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I will get bashed for this . I am a civil service employee who is in the pension systemk But I am low end of the food chain.

Please keep in mind its management,teachers,union heads,and politicians who end up with the huge pensions.

Most state employees do not get huge pensions. Heck I have to pay into my pension . Also I am not allowed any overtime what so ever.

The main problem is caused by the people who make the laws and will not do anything about them.

Its us small people on the front lines who get stepped on. The people at the desks at the dmv who get yelled at all day by you guys, the people at the desks dealing with the homeless. The people dealing with the mentally handicapped. All the people lucky if they make 40k a year.

Tom - It will be those who have the most that will lose the most when/if major reform comes. They can choose to be ignorant, but change is indeed coming. Unfortunately, most of the time, there is always collateral damage and the little guy has to bear the pain as well.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,488,550 times
The criminals on Wall Street who now run all major media outlets have been bashing public pensions for years. Those criminals want to get their hands on that money and put it in worthless 401k plans for their criminal friends to squander.

Pensions have zero to do with the bad economy which was created by the banking cartel and wall street.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,960,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
The criminals on Wall Street who now run all major media outlets have been bashing public pensions for years. Those criminals want to get their hands on that money and put it in worthless 401k plans for their criminal friends to squander.

Pensions have zero to do with the bad economy which was created by the banking cartel and wall street.
Who said they had anything to do with the bad economy? They have a lot to do with high TAXES, which compounded with a bad economy make getting by on LI no easy task.

..not that it's any surprise that someone pulling a pension off the public's back would pull the old "hey, look over there!", that's pretty much the SOP on this and every other local forum.

Wall Street is responsible in large part for the economic decline. What that has to do with a guy pulling a 90K a year pension on the taxpayer dole by padding his overtime, I'm not sure.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 PM

56,880 posts, read 25,813,956 times
Quote:

Fair enough points and I don’t really have issue with the average civil servants that don’t pad there salary at years end. The issue is for the most part with the teachers, police, school administrators, MTA, Port Authority at the top end that have escalated their salaries far beyond what is reasonable.

It doesn’t just stop there, we have village, town special district employees that have also have retirements that will come due in the next few years. They need do something immediately before this goes any further, taking a pay freeze for 1 year and loading it on the back end only makes the problem worse.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,226,269 times
Quote:

But don't you know? All civil servants make $150K a year and get paid triple quadruple quintuple holiday hardship paper-cut overtime that counts toward their retirement so that when they retire they make $5,462,893 tax-free a year, which they then take with them when they move to states that have not only better climates but a more educated voting public with a vision that extends past their own wallets and two square feet of existence.

If you're not making $150K after six months of service, clearly you are doing something wrong, though. You should be making at least that much and earning it every step of the way by putting up with the abuse an ignorant, obstinate, and obsessive public with one giant case of borderline personality disorder heaps upon your head because, really, when you get right down to it, it's a favor to you that you're in public service at all. After all, you're just an uneducated, slack-jawed moron who is too stupid not to take a job that no one else wants to or even could do, and everyone knows you couldn't get a job any other way.

Now go crawl back under your civil servant rock and be thankful you're not an indentured servant. Lincoln only freed the slaves in your mind.

With tongue firmly in cheek,

Belligerent Yet Ineffectual Ranting Taxpayer

Old 12-10-2010, 03:11 PM

929 posts, read 2,061,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Your 2nd paragraph is typical propaganda... The rich don't pay taxes, it only looks that way until they dig into the countless tax code loopholes.
Actually, what you're saying is propaganda. The top 10% of earners in the United States pay about 40% of the income taxes in the United States. The bottom 50% pay almost no income taxes after deductions. You've got your facts upside down. But, the top 10% of earners is 120k/year and up.

I think you're poorly informed as to how few tax loopholes exist for an employee. Yes, a lot exist for someone who owns a business, but most people in this country are employees and they have very few deductions that exist for them.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:19 PM

13,506 posts, read 16,960,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Actually, what you're saying is propaganda. The top 10% of earners in the United States pay about 40% of the income taxes in the United States. The bottom 50% pay almost no income taxes after deductions. You've got your facts upside down. But, the top 10% of earners is 120k/year and up.

I think you're poorly informed as to how few tax loopholes exist for an employee. Yes, a lot exist for someone who owns a business, but most people in this country are employees and they have very few deductions that exist for them.
All evidence points that wealth in the US has transferred into the hands of the most wealthy over the last 30 years. Trying to lump middle income people making 120K in with millionaires and billionaires doesn't change that. I'll admit that talk radio has done a stellar job making suckers out of middle class people considering that many have bought what they are selling hook line and sinker.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,973,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post

Please spare me with twisting the context... Making 120k is not "rich" - making 2,3,4+ times that is not "rich". I stand by my comment that the truly rich don't pay taxes because they don't. Just like the largest multinational corps don't pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York