Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,293 times

Advertisements

I have done some research on Indian Point. I have came to the conclusion that it is BEYOND dangerous to have Indian Point in a such highly-populated area like the hudson valley. I live in Rockland County and I can see Indian Point from my bathroom window. So, if anything ever happens over there.....I have no place to go. I live with my sister and my parents and I am hopeing ANYBODY shuts down Indian Point and switches to a non-harmful energy source. I know there has been news on this every month about shutting it down but it does not seem to be making a difference. So, if anyone has any answers of why they can not shut it down please feel free to answer in the comments.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 02:25 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Maybe because it provides 25% to 35% of our power, and without it it would be lights out!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:00 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
It's safe to say that the reactor was there before you, move. How many times are insdustrial facilities built away from population centers then over time the population develops around the facility? What do you propose as a non-harmful energy source? Please keep in mind that the cost of any project in NY will potentially run 3x as much as other areas of the country.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
The Same can be said for all the NJ and PA Nuclear Power Plants , they fact is when they were built it was just farms lands and no suburbia has encroached on the plants. They won't be shut down , but rebuilt......you people who complain annoy me and most people the Plant or the Railroad was there before you so don't complain just move.

I'm curious to see what the NIMBY's throw against the restoration of the West Shore , Graham and Beacon lines...

Old 12-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Same can be said for all the NJ and PA Nuclear Power Plants , they fact is when they were built it was just farms lands and no suburbia has encroached on the plants. They won't be shut down , but rebuilt......you people who complain annoy me and most people the Plant or the Railroad was there before you so don't complain just move.

I'm curious to see what the NIMBY's throw against the restoration of the West Shore , Graham and Beacon lines...
Good Points! I'm sure the rail lines will be a welcome addition unless they impede on someones little slice of heaven. I will assume that a home with a railroad right-of-way behind it never expected a train to run behind their home....

Old 12-11-2010, 05:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Good Points! I'm sure the rail lines will be a welcome addition unless they impede on someones little slice of heaven. I will assume that a home with a railroad right-of-way behind it never expected a train to run behind their home....
The West Shore line used by CSX , the Graham line was abandoned years ago but that was very unpopular ,and ppl have been pushing for its restoring. Same with the Beacon line to an extent.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm familiar with the west shore line, I always found it stupid that passenger rail did not stop in Congers & Haverstraw. I know from down here that CSX does not like sharing freight rails with passenger trains. Besides with all of you getting screwed with the MTA tax you might as well get some MTA services for it..

Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Rockland, they need to keep the plant open so you can plug your electric car in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York