Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 PM

88,507 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Bergen County, NJ. Suffern was upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM

58 posts, read 182,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Yea basically upstate starts wherever Metro-North service ends lol

Ok, I have to chime in here. I am originally from Dutchess County, living in Boston but working my way back to NY. Anyway, when I say where I am from in NY to someone from the city, they say 'Oh Upstate.' When I say where I am from in NY to anyone outside of the city, they say 'That's not Upstate.' Too funny.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:55 AM

11 posts, read 34,163 times
It starts above Westchester. You an argue it all you want, but Westchester is DIFFERENT from New York City! NYC and LI is DOWNSTATE.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 AM

956 posts, read 1,206,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlefrombk View Post
It starts above Westchester. You an argue it all you want, but Westchester is DIFFERENT from New York City! NYC and LI is DOWNSTATE.
But across the river Rockland is upstate because it's not on the New York City side?

LI, NYC, and the Hudson Valley are ALL downstate. Just take a look at a NYS map.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 AM

9 posts, read 15,177 times
Well hope this helps, I live in upstate NY.

I am 40 miles west of Albany and we consider anyone who lives outside the NYC limits is upstate. If you live downstate it means NYC, LI,SI.

I am not sure there is a correct answer here just a matter of opinion of all.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Northern Westchester and Rockland are different from the city and while they have become gentrified by suburbia, there are plenty of people in both places who, while within an hours drive of the city, can count the number of times they have really been there on one hand. There are pockets of of blue-collar, Carhart wearing, wood cutting, fishing and hunting folk nestled in among the the black coated, SUV driving ex-city-dwelling suburbanites in all of the downstate counties.

Shoot, I have even eaten bow shot Yonkers venison, logged and cut firewood in North Castle, and stealth camped in the hills near Peekskill and the bluffs north of Nyack.

Doesn't make it upstate, though.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:05 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,345 times
South of the black line = downstate

Old 12-30-2010, 01:43 PM

225 posts, read 715,631 times
If you're from LI, upstate is anything north of the city

Old 01-01-2011, 12:37 AM

40 posts, read 153,281 times
The traditional dividing line in the past was the Hawthorne Circle in Westchester where the Taconic Parkway begins but as suburbs of NYC expand north it is probably more like the map two posts above. Of course someone from Syracuse would say the Catskills are downstate. I would define upstate as being out of the NYC and NYC suburb lifestyle. If you use wood to heat your house, live where most people hunt, fish and otherwise have a totally non NYC based life, you are upstate. If you are close enough to NYC to work there, shop there etc, you are downstate. Incidentally I consider south Dutchess to be downstate while Hyde Park and north are upstate. Ulster is also upstate in my opinion.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Again the definition is obviously relative. When I lived in the Bronx was a different definition than when I lived in Rochester.

But I think the general accepted def outside of NY state would be the NYC one - anyplace north of the Bronx. I believe they dreamed up the term and should own the external def.

I would not however argue with on from Rochester who considers the Catskills down state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York