Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Austin is a very nice city (though its growth has taken away from what it once was). Love the city, hate the heat & lack of snow.

BTW, when you are driving from Hamburg to Amherst you are basically driving through the entire Buffalo metro area, not just the 50K in Hamburg like your ill informed post tries to make it out to be. My commute in Austin was from the Wells Branch (northeast) part of the city to just beyond the eastern edge of the metro area, not even close to the worst Austin has to offer for traffic congestion. Austin's north south highways are basically parking lots from 6am-9am & 4pm-7pm. And just for the record I never said Buffalo was better than Austin because of the lack of traffic I was commenting on a previous post that was complaining about traffic in Upstate NY. Now please go away & get a clue before you come back.
The complaint was that NYS tries to bleed you further by putting tolls on the main interstate through upstate NY.

Austin has worse traffic than the Buffalo MSA? Amazing.

Thank you very much for your insightful post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
@Sean, that last post of yours is all.over the place again. You obviously haven't seen the Syracuse Construction page on this website and people have more things to do than hangout at the mall on a Friday. While there are buildings that could be put to good use, there new projects going on in and around the city.

Also, with Tipp Hill, many park on the street in many parts of the neighborhood and it was pretty dry today. So, I don't know what you are talking about.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:56 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The complaint was that NYS tries to bleed you further by putting tolls on the main interstate through upstate NY.
There are 5 toll roads in the Austin area (all added within the last 5 years). There are no toll's within the city of Buffalo & the $.35 it costs to get from Hamburg to Lackawanna isn't breaking anyone. Its also easily avoidable if you are strongly against it. If I have to have tolls I'd rather have them on long stretches of highway that I rarely need to travel then have them on commuter expressways across the city, which IMO is more a case of bleeding your citizens than having one long toll road across the state (which many states have).

PA has tolls on 1 of its 2 main east-west highways (76/Pa Turnpike) and they are about to add them on the other (80), they also have the NE extension toll road from Philly to Scranton. Massachusetts continues the toll on 90 all the way to Boston, NJ has toll roads everywhere as does Oklahoma. Driving from Cleveland to Chicago is nothing but one big toll road. Other than I4 there is nothing but toll roads coming in/out of Orlando ... Tampa has a few as well.

To try to make tolls a NY specific issue is ridiculous though I wouldn't expect any less from a troll who's sole purpose in life is to visit a message board of a place they no longer live to continually run it down. I honestly believe it kills most of you that left NY on bad terms to see others move here & be happy.

Last edited by jblake78728; 02-12-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM

51 posts, read 109,532 times
The nice thing about leaving NY, is that you have more alternatives, as far as where and how to live. A lot of people seem to want to recreate the exact same lifestyle that they were used to in NY- i.e. working in an office and commuting to the city, etc.

For me, the most appealing thing about moving to an inexpensive rural area, is to be able to live in a manner which is impossible in NY. Since land is cheap here, I have some acreage, and thus raise beef cows, which now constitutes 1/4-1/3 of my yearly income. It is cheap to live, so I can work online, making about a third of what I did in NY and still live much better than I did in NY.

In my opinion, it's all about quality of life. It is no wonder though, that places which are popular destinations for ex-NYers are turning into little NYs, because all the new residents do exactly what they did when they lived in NY- rather than taking advantage of the unique characteristics of their new areas or living more like the locals.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkonkomoan View Post
The nice thing about leaving NY, is that you have more alternatives, as far as where and how to live. A lot of people seem to want to recreate the exact same lifestyle that they were used to in NY- i.e. working in an office and commuting to the city, etc.

For me, the most appealing thing about moving to an inexpensive rural area, is to be able to live in a manner which is impossible in NY. Since land is cheap here, I have some acreage, and thus raise beef cows, which now constitutes 1/4-1/3 of my yearly income. It is cheap to live, so I can work online, making about a third of what I did in NY and still live much better than I did in NY.

In my opinion, it's all about quality of life. It is no wonder though, that places which are popular destinations for ex-NYers are turning into little NYs, because all the new residents do exactly what they did when they lived in NY- rather than taking advantage of the unique characteristics of their new areas or living more like the locals.
Actually, you can have that type of lifestyle in NY and you can say that in NY, you have variety in terms of the lifestyle that you want.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, you can have that type of lifestyle in NY and you can say that in NY, you have variety in terms of the lifestyle that you want.
year round sunshine?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know about that. Where in NY could you get acreage for $1,000 an acre? (and what would the taxes be?!) Not to mention that you need need a lot more acreage in a cold climate (I'd probably need 4 times the acreage in upstate NY to raise the same amount of cows I raise here)

NY is really not friendly to agriculture. It is designed to be friendly to wage earners/city-dwellers.

For instance: Here, one does not have to register or insure trailers used on the highway. In NY you do. Just that expense alone could eat a good deal of one's profit.

Here, you run to your neighbor's or check your fence line along the road on your ATV. Most places in NY, they'd confiscate your ATV if ya did that!

And I'll bet that there's nowhere left in NY where you don't need a permit to put up a fence or an outbuilding.....

No matter what you do there, even on your own property, there's either someone telling you that you can't do it...or sticking their hand out for more money.

It's just a different world.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkonkomoan View Post
I don't know about that. Where in NY could you get acreage for $1,000 an acre? (and what would the taxes be?!) Not to mention that you need need a lot more acreage in a cold climate (I'd probably need 4 times the acreage in upstate NY to raise the same amount of cows I raise here)

NY is really not friendly to agriculture. It is designed to be friendly to wage earners/city-dwellers.

For instance: Here, one does not have to register or insure trailers used on the highway. In NY you do. Just that expense alone could eat a good deal of one's profit.

Here, you run to your neighbor's or check your fence line along the road on your ATV. Most places in NY, they'd confiscate your ATV if ya did that!

And I'll bet that there's nowhere left in NY where you don't need a permit to put up a fence or an outbuilding.....

No matter what you do there, even on your own property, there's either someone telling you that you can't do it...or sticking their hand out for more money.

It's just a different world.
You mean buying 17.62 acres for $14,300 in Pompey, NY? You mean calling Code Enforcement for the Town of Manlius and asking for code on building a fence in the village and being told there isn't one?

Outbuildings of more than 100 sq.ft. must be regulated. That prevents dangerous homes and outbuildings from being built. Buildings larger than that must be mobile to be tax-exempt. As long as you can move it/it isn't permanent, it's not taxable as a property improvement/building.

You mean these places that exist in the suburbs of Syracuse, NY? (Central New York.)

These places exist- some people are just so filled with hatred of their own situation/location that they look further away than neccessary.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Outbuildings of more than 100 sq.ft. must be regulated. That prevents dangerous homes and outbuildings from being built..
Oh no!!!! My 15'x15' shed must be dangerous! It's over 100 square feet....and I did not have to apply for a permit or have some inspector gawk at it!!! (Well...it has withstood 80MPH winds...)

Funny how a 10'x11' shed on someone's private property would have to meet building codes....but the World Trade Center was exempt. Pretty much negates the supposed justification for such non-sensical laws, eh?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
year round sunshine?
Umm, he's in Kentucky. So, they get their share of winterlike weather, relatively speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York