Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,650 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Elmira/Horseheads/Endicott/Vestal/Binghamton area soon and would like input on the best cities. I am concerned about crime and safety. Would like to be around shopping and other things to do. Would also be renting so any great, reasonable places to rent would be helpful too. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 01:30 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Out of those that you named, Vestal would probably be the best in terms of safety, shopping, good schools and things to do(i.e.-SUNY-Binghamton and other area events). Horseheads would fitfor the most part as well. This website might help in terms of renting: MapsKrieg - Binghamton, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

MapsKrieg - Elmira, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

There are other websites to look at in regards to apartments on these websites: Elmira & Vicinity*New York Apartment Finder | Search Western New York Apartment Rental

Syracuse / Ithaca & Vicinity*New York Apartment Finder | Search Central New York Apartment Rental

Old 01-08-2011, 12:00 PM

13 posts, read 32,760 times
I would recommend Horseheads.
It is one of the only places in the area with shopping (Arnot Mall) and chain stores (Target, Walmart, etc.).

Horseheads also has good schools and is probably the most child-friendly place around that general area.

Horseheads contains a lot of newer homes and subdivisions. There are really no unsafe areas of Horseheads.

As far as things to do, you have Elmira which is 10 minutes away, which is the home of Elmira College. There are a few museums and parks around Elmira, and there is the Clemens Center. Now even Broadway productions and orchestra concerts, among other things, are coming to the Clemens Center. Ithaca is also about 30 minutes away from Horseheads. Of course, Ithaca is the home of Cornell University, and there is great shopping, beautiful parks and gorges, NASCAR racetrack, and the gorgeous Finger Lake region.

You will probably be able to find a condo to rent in Horseheads.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York