Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,514,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
I saw that debate. LOL, we have friends in Rochester, Buffalo, etc. I've always considered those specific cities to be upstate.

Believe it or not, we actually have a similar debate here in RI. What part of RI is "northern" and what part is "southern." Having grown up in the southern part, those of us from the southern part have a very specific landmark, past which the rest of RI was "northern." Which is silly because that landmark was so far south that half of what was north of it was really still "southern."

Follow?
On a national level that's just like the Mason-Dixon line. It's so far north that it does not make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 32,559 times
Elmira isn't too bad. If you had to rent, though, the best place would be in a small house in West Elmira or immediately around Elmira College. Stay away from the Booth and Diven neighborhoods (the Booth neighborhood is near McDonald's).

But I would recommend renting in Corning. Pretty much anywhere in Corning you'd be safe. Horseheads has more new developments and hardly any apartments. But I know of one neighborhood in Horseheads with condos.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:35 PM

270 posts, read 730,675 times
I'd greatly appreciate info on the condos in Horseheads...we're looking at condo type places as opposed to multifamily houses, mostly because of the dog. We'll start calling when we have a definite date of moving.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 PM

13 posts, read 32,559 times
If you have a dog, I highly doubt you can find a condo in Horseheads. Hickory Grove Apartments offer 1-3 bedroom options but sadly no dogs are allowed. Horseheads is very cheap relative to much of the northeast. You can rent a nice house for $1500 and a very nice new home for $2500/month. What is your price range for renting?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM

270 posts, read 730,675 times
LOL, much less than that. We were thinking about $700/month with no utilities included. There are a few apartments out there for that little...but they seem to be in tough places. We need to get out there, really, and take a good look around.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,028 times
Well, in Corning:

Quail Bay Apartment Homes in Corning, NY | Apartments.com

apartments.com has a lot of listings in that area. most are 1-3 bedrooms and in the corning area. horseheads has a few options, too.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,942 times
There is a lady who runs a hot dog cart on Market Street in Corning, she makes a delicious spiedie, OMG I had one and it was better then at the spiedie festival in Vestal where they are from. I think she only charged $5.00 but I got a small bags of chips and a beverage. If you see her out there you should stop and have one! I hope she returns this year for lunches, she only did late nights last year. I figured because of the heat.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 11,860 times
The Milton Street Area is Ok .We are renting a tiny Apartment here for $822.It is so small only one person fits in the kitchen at a time!Seriously!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 PM

92,688 posts, read 122,997,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njackson99 View Post
The Milton Street Area is Ok .We are renting a tiny Apartment here for $822.It is so small only one person fits in the kitchen at a time!Seriously!
What part of town is that?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,139,471 times
God theres a lot of misinformation on this site. This site asked about Elmira and I don't think (after the first page of posters not really knowing what they are talking about) the second page even mentioned Elmira.

Anyhow, I'll give you the low down. Elmira is a small city but it is by no means Mayberry. Don't believe me, come here and drive around on a nice day after 5 pm and drive the actual neighborhoods. Don't just drive the main streets. If you do that, you will get a better view of Elmira.

This site is innacurate, because their percentages for Minorites is way off. Elmira is ghetto in alot of areas. And this is coming from someone who has lived in Huge cities. To the lady who said that the area around Mc'donalds was nice. Yeah, like fifteen years ago. Now that area is Crack city. Block after block of drug dealers, prostitutes, etc and that's on the "nice side" the "west side".

The worst part of the city is the east side. Drive down Oak and tell me that is not ghetto. Most wouldn't get out of their car. That whole area--drugs, lazy people, low lifes, etc.

The southside has gotten pretty bad in many areas. Franklin street area, spaulding street. South Main street area up around Hudson, Fulton, etc. There's tons of streets that once were nice that are now strictly drugs.

Even as bad as it looks, the crime is down this year. It seemed like there used to be a shooting or a stabbing atleast once a week. This year, there hasn't been much. So many criminals are locked up. They also don't print the crime in the newspaper. Many things happen that you don't hear about. But it looks worse than it is. In some of it's neighborhoods it looks like a little Buffalo or Rochester. You have to understand for about 20 years drug dealers from nearby distances like Rochester and NYC would go there to sell drugs. Those people aren't counted in the census.

It is a depressing place. Lot's of run down neighborhoods, high unemployment and there are two prisons. I can't see it getting better long term. Every city has fluke years where crime is really down. And it's not as though Elmira has been awful forever or is now. It hasn't. Over the last ten to fifteen years it has gotten much worse. It seems to get worse every decade by a good amount. Many people contribute this to the prisons. Lot's of prisoners get out and stay or their families move there to be nearby. That's why I think the future is grim.

Plus like a much smaller Flint. Elmira for years was a "factory city" much like Schenectady too. They have lost many jobs due to the closing of factories. The area is severely depressed.

Just fifteen years ago, Elmira's population was between 35 and 40 thousand, metro 100,000. Now, for the first time they fall under 30, Metro fell under 90,000. Ithaca used to be about 23-25,000 twenty years ago. Now they have more people than Elmira. Those cities are about 35 miles apart. Ithacas advantage is Cornell and Ithaca college. Every school year, they get almost fifty thousand more people.

I've been to every city in New york state except Watertown more than a dozen times. I've spent countless months in Elmira about fifteen years ago. It wasn't bad back then, but you could see traces of what was too come. Now, even though this year isn't bad, over those years it has gotten much worse. And Besides the occasional fluke years, I think Elmira will get worse moving forward. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't need stats, Elmira isn't a place that you can say look it's awful statistically. I just forsee it getting much worse. Good people are moving out. Bad people keep moving in and the area is saturated with drugs.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 08-09-2011 at 09:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York