Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times

Advertisements

There's a big difference between N.Y. and N.J. pension funds and in the financial situation their in.

New Jersey like some other places did not fund or they underfunded the state’s pension funds and allocated that money in to their operating budget. The monies were never repaid, resulting in underfunded pension systems. The result is the NJ Governor is attempting to take drastic steps to stabilize the pension system there. It's the Government's fault and now they want to "force" changes and make concessions. Talk about changing the rules halfway through the game. If I was a union rep. there I would have two words or one finger for that nonsense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Granted, I'm certainly not as informed as you are on the issue of education...BUT if I'm to understand this: You believe that these employees should VOLUNTARILY forsake getting a raise, VOLUNTARILY contribute more towards their health care plans, and VOLUNTARILY give up their job security. AND all because of the common good?!? I'm not in their situation BUT if my boss EVER came up to me and proposed that I do ANY of these things out of the goodness of my own heart, I think I too would have to say no, thank you. Now I'll ask you. If YOUR boss asked you, what would YOU say?
As union member, I would agree to concessions under certain circumstances. Christie is attempting his own version of the "Spitzer Steamroller" in NJ and is being met with resistance. Why? Because NJ chose not to fund its pension system for over a decade and is now trying to blame the employees for the problem that the state's elected officials created. I don't blame the unions for not working with the man since he has only made demands and has not attempted to negotiate with them.
I do give him credit for sticking to his guns though. Whether I agree with him or not,it is rare to see a politician remain so comitted to campaign promises.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM

398 posts, read 837,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Granted, I'm certainly not as informed as you are on the issue of education...BUT if I'm to understand this: You believe that these employees should VOLUNTARILY forsake getting a raise, VOLUNTARILY contribute more towards their health care plans, and VOLUNTARILY give up their job security. AND all because of the common good?!? I'm not in their situation BUT if my boss EVER came up to me and proposed that I do ANY of these things out of the goodness of my own heart, I think I too would have to say no, thank you. Now I'll ask you. If YOUR boss asked you, what would YOU say?
In 2009 my employer froze salaries, made employees take furlough (one week of unpaid vacation, which is essentially a 2% payout). These actions were said to save jobs. I pay into my health benefits through my weekly paychecks.

I said I was thankful to at least have my job in this economy.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
In 2009 my employer froze salaries, made employees take furlough (one week of unpaid vacation, which is essentially a 2% payout). These actions were said to save jobs. I pay into my health benefits through my weekly paychecks.

I said I was thankful to at least have my job in this economy.
As well we all should! Just today, my secretary asked me why I worked throughout my lunch and agreed to take on additional responsibilities that I really didn't have to take on. I responded with what you expressed - I'm grateful to have a job in this economy and I'll do whatever I can to do the best job I can.

However, the OP expresses disbelief over working people not VOLUNTARILY giving up part of their pay. I'm sure you didn't want that furlough you described and wouldn't have VOLUNTARILY taken it either. The OP also expressed disbelief over working people not VOLUNTARILY contributing to their healthcare. If YOU were given a choice to contribute or not, would you choose to contribute?!?!

Listen, things are rough out there, and some other people have it better than we do....but I wouldn't expect other working folk to voluntarily do anything that I wouldn't voluntarily do at my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: