Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Fahnestock is a nice close place for a hike and the Shawangunks (the Gunks or Shon-gum) are really freaking beautiful, the sky lakes and cliffs, et al. Just wait until the spring and early summer. That area is heaven.

I'm jealous :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 11,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Route 9 in Poughkeepsie is basically one long strip mall. You can find anything you need there.

My GFs son is living in a apartment behind the Barnes & Noble, by the IBM (about 5 minutes past the Target you found) for a very cheap price. I can find out more info for you if youd like.

Oh, BTW, the best thing about that area is the Fishkill movie theater. Digital projectors, DSS sound and its never crowded. Most peopel go to the galleria, but I love the Fishkill movie theater. I see movies there whenever I can.
Thanks for the response! We made it up to Poughkeepsie on 9 yesterday, just kind of running around, running errands, doing some basic shopping. You are right, you can find everything along 9. Only thing I think we have found is that we will need to go into NYC for is Macy's. The one at the Galleria just doesn't cut it when it comes to clothes for my wife.

Thanks for the recommendation about the Fishkill theater, will definitely be checking that one out soon, for some unknown reason, my wife is dying to see Gnomeo and Juliet. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
No problem Justin, glad you found it useful. Don't hesitate to ask more, I'll be here.
Thanks. We made it up to Fairacre farms yesterday. LOVE that place. Put's Trader Joe's to shame. Trader Joe's has really become a granola eating hippie store, where you cannot find anything normal (and by normal, I mean different than the leaves on the bushes outside the store). Adams blew it away. Their meat selection was awesome, very friendly and helpful staff, and completely reasonably priced.

Also tried out Antionella's new location in Fishkill. I have to say, it was good, but I was not blown away. We have had better pie elsewhere in NY state, so we will definitely be trying various places for a good pie. One plus, they deliver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
In Fishkill, there are two new apartment complexes that have been built in recent years-one by the Gap on Merritt Blvd-the other is on Rt. 52 heading towards Beacon just beyond the I-84 Diner by a mile on the right. I've lived in Fishkill for 45 years-my whole life. While not a bustling hot spot-there are some good places for nightlife in the area. You have The Chance in Poughkeepsie-off Crannell Street that offers live bands-http://thechancetheater.com/ There is the Bardavon in Poughkeepsie also-http://www.bardavon.org/ You have Eisenhower Hall at West Point-http://www.ikehall.com/

For nice nights out there's Shadow's On the Hudson-http://www.shadowsonthehudson.com/ In Newburgh along River Road-http://home.earthlink.net/~lizascotto/id11.html Great food along the Hudson.

There's alot of gems in the area-you'll have fun exploring. If you like hiking-you can hit the Appalician Trail down at Fahnestock State Park off the Taconic or 301-you can get there by Rt.9 South. Clarence Fahnestock State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation Or over towards the New Paltz area-http://www.lakeminnewaska.org/hiking.html

Enjoy yourselves-you'll really never run out of things to do around here.
Thanks for the recommendations. While we are not much ones for "nightlife", we will probably be checking out the places on the Hudson over in Newburgh. Have heard many good recommendations about them.

The hiking we are definitely looking forward to come spring and have heard many great references to the New Paltz and Albany areas for hiking, state parks, etc.

As far as apartments go, the ones off Merritt are nice, but it is LITERALLY across the street from my wife's work, so I think a little too close for her liking, though we will check them out come June. Of all of the areas we have checked out, really like the vibe of Fishkill, but also plan on looking down around Cold Springs. We stumbled across that area last time we were out and love the small town feel.

Thanks for all the recommendations and references! Would love to hear more input if anyone has any!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 AM

5 posts, read 11,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Fahnestock is a nice close place for a hike and the Shawangunks (the Gunks or Shon-gum) are really freaking beautiful, the sky lakes and cliffs, et al. Just wait until the spring and early summer. That area is heaven.

I'm jealous :-)
Thanks for the recommendations, will definitely have to put those on the list of places to check out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York