Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,882 times

Advertisements

Ever been the victim of road rage and tried calling the police in New York to report it? When/if they finally show up, they will make you feel like you were responsible for it.

My impression is the police feel there is nothing they can do about it if they didn't actually see it, they cannot issue a ticket, and seem very bothered if someone calls in to report it, much less do anything about it.

Consequently, it is no surprise that people drive so aggressively here in New York and you have situations develop such as the one between the 21-year old and the 35-year old who was killed a couple years ago. Unless it comes to a tragic result like this, do the police do anything that effectively addresses the people who are actually starting these situations? If you get a license number and report it, will they actually visit the person and at least question them to send a message that there could be potential consequences for their actions. I know there are two sides to every situation, but the police just don't seem to care. It appears to be too much trouble to do anything about it.

It seems to me that the frequency of road rage is escalating because aggressive drivers feel like they can get away with anything because the police don't seem to do anything about the people who are the truly the ones who commit the road rage. They simply drive away and find another person to terrorize on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 PM

330 posts, read 726,359 times
NWA said it best...

Old 01-29-2011, 01:03 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,762 times
Someone literally drove me off the road and kept trying to hit me driving me further off the road. I called the police with his lic # right after it happened and they told me to come in to fill out a report. Are they not going to go after him while hes still on the damn road?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 12,882 times
Apparently not. I think the other question is whether they will even contact the person at all. Seems that nothing at all is done unless someone is hurt or killed. That's the problem.

I am interested in a couple aspects of the situation you were in:

How long did it take for them to get to you after you called?

Did they make you feel like you were the one who was partially or totally responsible for the situation?
I know there are always two sides to every story, but it seems they automatically assume that you caused it with no regard that you are the one calling it in and the other person just drove away.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
I think they tend to focus on what is SEEN by the police themselves or SEEN by an impartial eyewitness who is not connected to the incident.

Years ago I had a neighbor hit my car, but I didn't see it and he wouldn't admit to it. He was drunk too and wouldn't come out of his house when I knocked on the door.

I called the police to report the accident and they WOULD NOT make a report that said he hit me, just one that said I was hit by an "unknown" car.

Meanwhile his truck was BABY BLUE and my car was black and you could see baby blue paint on my car where it was hit and black paint on his truck (which only had slight cosmetic damage).

According to their "rules of evidence" or whatever maybe it could have been a DIFFERENT baby blue car ... and technically that is NOT 100% certainty ... with no eyewitness they didn't want to even attempt it.

As for the road rage stuff, I have seen it, but never attempted to report it because I figure the crazy driver would be gone by the time they got there to witness the crazy driving.

If someone is driving aggressively AT me, I will do whatever I can to let them pass even if it means pull over to the side of the road and let them go on by. I am not going to drive with my emotions in charge. If they are in a hurry, goodbye.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think they tend to focus on what is SEEN by the police themselves or SEEN by an impartial eyewitness who is not connected to the incident.

Years ago I had a neighbor hit my car, but I didn't see it and he wouldn't admit to it. He was drunk too and wouldn't come out of his house when I knocked on the door.

I called the police to report the accident and they WOULD NOT make a report that said he hit me, just one that said I was hit by an "unknown" car.

Meanwhile his truck was BABY BLUE and my car was black and you could see baby blue paint on my car where it was hit and black paint on his truck (which only had slight cosmetic damage).

According to their "rules of evidence" or whatever maybe it could have been a DIFFERENT baby blue car ... and technically that is NOT 100% certainty ... with no eyewitness they didn't want to even attempt it.

As for the road rage stuff, I have seen it, but never attempted to report it because I figure the crazy driver would be gone by the time they got there to witness the crazy driving.

If someone is driving aggressively AT me, I will do whatever I can to let them pass even if it means pull over to the side of the road and let them go on by. I am not going to drive with my emotions in charge. If they are in a hurry, goodbye.
Exactly, unless you have a witness or a cop sees it what do you expect them to do? Are they supposed to arrest the person or ticket them because you said they drove aggressively near/at you? The best advice is to just get out of the way and let them by.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwil2011 View Post
Ever been the victim of road rage and tried calling the police in New York to report it? When/if they finally show up, they will make you feel like you were responsible for it.

My impression is the police feel there is nothing they can do about it if they didn't actually see it, they cannot issue a ticket, and seem very bothered if someone calls in to report it, much less do anything about it.

Consequently, it is no surprise that people drive so aggressively here in New York and you have situations develop such as the one between the 21-year old and the 35-year old who was killed a couple years ago. Unless it comes to a tragic result like this, do the police do anything that effectively addresses the people who are actually starting these situations? If you get a license number and report it, will they actually visit the person and at least question them to send a message that there could be potential consequences for their actions. I know there are two sides to every situation, but the police just don't seem to care. It appears to be too much trouble to do anything about it.

It seems to me that the frequency of road rage is escalating because aggressive drivers feel like they can get away with anything because the police don't seem to do anything about the people who are the truly the ones who commit the road rage. They simply drive away and find another person to terrorize on the road.

My impression is that your impression is correct.

In other states, there are cameras along the highway. I don't know how successful they are at capturing aggressive driving or whether they act as a deterrent, but that's about the best you can hope for.

The frequency of road rage can escalate in any area where there are too many cars for too few roads, where traffic jams are common, and where morons drive 55 in the left lane when the normal pace of traffic is 65.

If someone is driving like an absolute idiot--and by that I mean weaving, swerving, and in general being a menace--pull over and call in the tag number. Or, if someone is in the car with you, have that person call it in. For all you know, the person is drunk and needs to be taken off the roads, and you can give the person's location and direction then and there.

Waiting until after the fact isn't going to get you any results.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:34 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
My impression is that your impression is correct.

In other states, there are cameras along the highway. I don't know how successful they are at capturing aggressive driving or whether they act as a deterrent, but that's about the best you can hope for.

The frequency of road rage can escalate in any area where there are too many cars for too few roads, where traffic jams are common, and where morons drive 55 in the left lane when the normal pace of traffic is 65.

If someone is driving like an absolute idiot--and by that I mean weaving, swerving, and in general being a menace--pull over and call in the tag number. Or, if someone is in the car with you, have that person call it in. For all you know, the person is drunk and needs to be taken off the roads, and you can give the person's location and direction then and there.

Waiting until after the fact isn't going to get you any results.
So... not following the traffic laws makes you an idiot, and following traffic laws makes you a moron?

Which is it?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So... not following the traffic laws makes you an idiot, and following traffic laws makes you a moron?

Which is it?
Putting yourself in a position where cars are constantly trying to get around you (a more dangerous position that staying out of the left lane regardless of who is breaking the law) makes you a moron.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Putting yourself in a position where cars are constantly trying to get around you (a more dangerous position that staying out of the left lane regardless of who is breaking the law) makes you a moron.

Yup. They just don't get it. "Who ME? I'm doing the speed limit, IT's YOU that's wrong!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: