U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 AM

12 posts, read 39,227 times

Advertisements

Hi all. New to the forums here, but collecting a lot of great information.

The wife and I are in our late 20s/early 30s and have our first baby on the way. We're living in a decent apartment in Brooklyn right now, but decided we'd like to raise a family in the burbs where there is a bit more green (I'm from Long Island, she's from south Jersey). The city income taxes are also getting kind of ridiculous -- we're paying a whole lot for a whole little in terms of amenities/services/schools.

Our price range is probably around 800k-1.5M. We want a place with good school districts, reasonable commute to Manhattan (I work in midtown, and I'd say "reasonable" means under a 45minute commuter train ride), and a little bit of land. Somewhere with good schools is important, but we are a little hesitant to go somewhere like a Garden City which can seem a little snobby to us. We found a great neighborhood in Port Washington that we really liked called Baxter Estates, which was a walk to the LIRR, right near a cute little town on Main Street, near the LI Sound beaches, etc. However, we then started to look in Westchester for comparison. Specifically, I think we most liked the areas around Rye, Harrison, Scarsdale, Rye Brook, etc. They were a bit more open and beautiful and seemed to offer more land and maybe a little more bang for the buck (although Scarsdale seemed pricey, and taxes seemed pretty insane). We also like an area that has somewhat of a downtown area with some restaurants/things to do.

In terms of the house itself, we like something a bit older, like the old colonials or tudors built in the 1920s, and don't mind something we need to put a little elbow grease into over the years

We're also considering renting for a year or two first to get a feel for one or the other before making a big commitment.

All of that said, anyone have thoughts/suggestions/comments as to which is better -- Westchester or Nassau county -- and which town might make sense for us?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Otis

Last edited by OtisOtisOtis; 01-29-2011 at 07:26 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:48 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,257,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisOtisOtis View Post
We found a great neighborhood in Port Washington that we really liked called Baxter Estates ...
Baxter Estates is a village in the Town of North Hempstead, and includes one or more neighborhoods within its borders; Port Washington is a hamlet, also in the Town of North Hempstead, and, according to NYS Geographic Glossary, villages can not be in a hamlet.

OtisOtisOtis, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of New York as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 PM

77,711 posts, read 105,713,935 times
I'd say the Rivertowns of Westchester County might be a good fit.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 PM

715 posts, read 2,396,413 times
^^

Check out Scarborough.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 AM

956 posts, read 1,137,782 times
Definitely Westcheser. MUCH less traffic, easier commute to Manhattan (car and train) and much more peaceful living with easier access for trips around the region during the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York