Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 AM

4,383 posts, read 5,113,742 times

Advertisements

O.K. so we have all heard the different monikers for the New York Metropolitan area. The most common being "Tri-State Area".

The problem is that the New York Metropolitan Area encompanses NY-NJ-CT-PA. I suspect that most people can identify with "Quad-State Area" or "Four-State Area".

I believe they tried to use "Empire Region" but it wasn't widely accepted. So then what should we call this area when almost all the other metropolitan areas in the U.S. can be readily identified by just Central City Name + Metropolitan area or catchy monikers such as the "Metroplex" for Dallas etc..

Do you think just using "Greater New York" would be easiest or does that alienate the other states involved. How about "Metropolis".

Seems kind of sad an area like this can't have a "catch all" title to it considering that it's the largest metro region in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 AM

19,131 posts, read 16,957,052 times
Tri-State has always been fine, I think most don't consider PA as part of the metro area. Now NJ should have a sign, Welcome to NJ jointly owned/operated by NY & PA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: