Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2006, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,407 times

Advertisements

I am a computer artist from California who is looking for a change of scene. My contracts for the forseeable future give me the luxury of working from where ever I can get HIgh Speed internet access.

For personal reasons Upstate South of Albany near Kerhonkson/ New Paltz / Stone Ridge is attractive and I am wondering what is the best resource for finding rental properties in that area. I am looking for something smaller as it will just be myself and I would like to keep my costs down.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,406 times
I live in Kerhonkson. I am a photographer. I can answer any questions you might have.

Bob

Old 12-27-2006, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 19,121 times
Hey BrickArtist and Bob,

My wife and I are both photographers too and just closed last week on a home in Palenville, about 10 miles west of Catskill. Incredibly beautiful country with broadband access but may be too sleepy for some. For us, after living in the Dallas areas for years, it's a welcome change. ;^)

We're looking forward to meeting our neighbors and making new friends when we actually get there in a few weeks.

And when spring comes (and the plow-spread gravel is gone from the turns), I'll be looking for fellow motorcyclists to ride those terrific back roads!

Dan

Old 12-27-2006, 07:33 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I really liked the whole area near Woodstock, Phoenicia, etc and had a real estate broker check out property for about 2 months. In the end, I thought I might be too isolated and cold Upstate, and moved to New Mexico. In many ways I regret that decision because if truth be told NYS has more to offer than most places, and in this neck of the woods you are thinking about you have lots of services and choices.

I'd get me a real estate broker to do my looking, after spelling out what you want, make a visit or three, have some great brunch downtown Phoenicia and a late afternoon a cuppa in Woodstock and look around. I saw some interesting places in West Hurley, too, now that I think about it.

It is packed with people interested in art, and doing art. I believe Phoenicia has a new cooperative gallery and just down the road is Saugerties (which has a coop I've visited several times).

Good luck, that nostalgia is setting in here in the SW

Old 12-27-2006, 10:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
Ontheroad, funny you want to go NYS and I want to go to NM LOL!

Those areas are nice, but no place is perfect. North into ulster county NY is very quiet..

Brick artist- I prefer Wallkill area, Rosendale, Gardner, Lake Minnewaska area. New Paltz is a very alternative town and I find it overpriced.

Montgomery offers some very reasonable rentals including WaterWheel Apartments and Squire Village (never been inside those tho) or you can even rent out a basement. New Paltz does have an apartment complex as well and rentals should be easy to find.

For rentals you should check out the Times Herald Record. There area also rental search sites online. Here is the link to the Record. http://www.recordonline.com

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2006, 01:49 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Nope, I don't want to be in NYS (although I miss it) I just don't want to be in NM

Happy holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Ontheroad, funny you want to go NYS and I want to go to NM LOL!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,142 times
Default Moving to Upstate NY

I just came across your post about moving to upstate NY and how to find out about rentals. You may already have moved here (or elsewhere), but just in case, check out Ulster publishing - listings are for Woodstock area, Stone Ridge, High Falls, Rosendale, New Paltz, Kerhonkson, and more.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,110 times
Post try looking a little above Albany. We moved 23 yrs. ago to just the spot your looking for. Cambridge,N.Y. 45mins. above

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickArtist View Post
I am a computer artist from California who is looking for a change of scene. My contracts for the forseeable future give me the luxury of working from where ever I can get HIgh Speed internet access.

For personal reasons Upstate South of Albany near Kerhonkson/ New Paltz / Stone Ridge is attractive and I am wondering what is the best resource for finding rental properties in that area. I am looking for something smaller as it will just be myself and I would like to keep my costs down.

Thanks in advance
Albany.Beautiful area, LAND OF GRANDMA MOSES. We're 15 miles from Bennington Vt,east 20 miles west of Saratoga, 35miles south of Glens Falls & Lake George. We have a village co-op , farmers market, Hubbard Hall playhouse ,check that out. Alot of the the townsfolk still wear our old "hippy style" clothes. We moved here for a better life for our daughters, 4 now grown from downstate Brooklyn & Long Island. Back then we jump right into it, bought a house with 3 acres, on the side raised the girls, who had chores of taking care of the chickens and a couple of pigs, which we were able to barter. Good Luck,it's hard making a big step like that.Patti

Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 13,860 times
There are so many lakes in the Adirondacks that they don't have names just numbers. Many of them don't allow boat with motors so I enjoy Kayaking and taking pictures of the wildlife. I live in a small town 30 miles North of Glens Falls, NY. We have a beautiful Schroon Lake just 4 miles away. The town of Schroon Lake is small, several restaurants, which are accessible by Snowmobile trails in Winter. In the summer the town has a free beach, well maintained, clean and no crowds. Lake George is the tourist trap but has miles of coast that is still untouched. If you want a home in the woods with a well, wood heat, at a very reasonable price, the Adirondacks is the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York