Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 PM

39 posts, read 78,619 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the area around Cumberland Ave, Cedar Ln, Kellogg Ct, Nichols Ave in Plattsburgh? I'm just wondering how nice the area is? Is it a good neighborhood in which to raise kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times
Thumbs up Personally, I love this area..........

The area that you are mentioning is unique in a couple of ways...........there aren't a huge number of houses in that section and there is a good mix of historic homes on or near the lake and newer split-level, raised ranch type homes......

The thing that makes these cool homes is that if you walk a block or so you can be immediately downtown, or at the city boat launch to watch the fishing tournament weighins during the big tournaments, or at the Champlain monument within walking distance of the 4th of July music, boat parade, fireworks, concerts by the lake, etc.........Oh and it is also directly on the bike/walk/jog path through the city both north and south.......You can also walk over to the city beach from there but it is a bit more of a walk......More and more things are coming into downtown soon by way of expanding the arts center and the restoration of the old Strand theater. There are plays downtown and there were downtown concerts last summer and I believe there were downtown movies at one time....not sure about now.

That particular neighborhood doesn't seem to transition a lot.........I would think that some families have been there a while. I do know a couple who are educators whose children are older and another teacher whose kids are grown, and a doctor's family who has a child in middle school. One couple just had a baby, but not sure if it's a hotbed of suburbia. That would probably be Brookfield Manor, just adjacent to the back entrance of the hospital just off of Prospect Ave.

Another area that seems to always have a ton of families is the Bailey-Oak streets of Lynde, Bailey, Grace, Palmer and Morrison Avenues.......These are going to be much older homes though.....some have been extensively remodeled but were originally built in the 40's?????? A lot of folks bought them and completely renovated them as projects, adding garages, and huge additions because electric city rates are so cheap.....I happen to like that area as well because it has a ton of character and no house is exactly the same........It depends on what you want. I found Brookfield Manor to be a lot of keeping up with the Joneses, with a bit more emphasis on having a summer house on the lake, outdoing each other, but to each their own. Feel free to ask more q's. I will be glad to give you my opinion. If you don't mind a drive, there is another great area with a more country feel in Peru, NY....about 15 mins out of the city. Some people love it away from the 'big city'.......ha. Good luck to you!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM

39 posts, read 78,619 times
Plattsburgher, Thanks so much for your reply! As usual, it was very insightful and helpful!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 AM

22 posts, read 85,507 times
I spend a lot of time there. And i can say that is a fantastic area to live. Neighborhood is so nice. But every society have some dirty people there also you will find them. At all i can say that is a nice area to live. ... Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York