Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 08:30 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times

Advertisements

Here is a chance for those living outside the NYC metropolitan area to vote on the legal separation of NYS into 2 or 3 sovereign states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Please note that I intended to post this poll in the New York State Forum, not NYC.

There is a vote scheduled for this November on whether to hold a New York State Constitutional Convention in 2019. If that occurs, certain upstate activists will attempt to put in motion the separation of NYS into 2 or 3 states. See link.

New York secessionists look to constitutional convention as best chance to split state - Washington Times

Old 06-01-2017, 09:15 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,810 times
That's a terrible idea. However, Separation of New York State from the United States makes sense because NYS subsidized the federal government sending more money than it actually receives to subsidize midwestern and southern states. I would vote for an independent New York Republic in a heartbeat. NYS and NYC have a mutually beneficial relationship. NYC provides a tax base, and employment hub for upstate NY. NYS provides agricultural and recreational benefits to New Yorkers

Old 06-01-2017, 09:55 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
This will give Republicans an advantage in elections. Whether you consider that a good or bad thing is up to you.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:03 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Here is a chance for those living outside the NYC metropolitan area to vote on the legal separation of NYS into 2 or 3 sovereign states.
I wonder what they are planning to use for money to run their states? Do they realize that upstate is actually the financial drain on the system and that without the taxes generated by Wall St, NYC corporations and taxes paid by NYC residents they won't have any money to run anything ?

I guess it will make them feel better to be able to have guns. Maybe that will make up for not being able to educate their kids so they won't care.

As a NYC resident I'd be all for it. Keep all the money that's generated in NYC in NYC ! Then we can re institute a commuter tax too and tax the income of all people who work in NYC but live outside NYC. **** upstate!

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-01-2017 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I wonder what they are planning to use for money to run their states?
Prisons

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-01-2017, 11:32 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Absolutely. In the least, Staten Island should push again to secede. Somehow uppity NYC leftists believe that only via connection to NYC can any level of municipal government succeed. Obviously this is false. Upstate NY, free from the leftist business restrictions that strangle everything they touch, would become the Texas of the NE, the "super" state that it was for two centuries prior to leftism strangling it.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:11 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,478 times
Quote:
I wonder what they are planning to use for money to run their states? Do they realize that upstate is actually the financial drain on the system and that without the taxes generated by Wall St, NYC corporations and taxes paid by NYC residents they won't have any money to run anything ?

I guess it will make them feel better to be able to have guns. Maybe that will make up for not being able to educate their kids so they won't care.

As a NYC resident I'd be all for it. Keep all the money that's generated in NYC in NYC ! Then we can re institute a commuter tax too and tax the income of all people who work in NYC but live outside NYC. **** upstate!
Only problem is, where are you going to get your water from? Fire up those desalination plants!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:46 AM

821 posts, read 760,900 times
Quote:

Could not agree more. Sick of being milked dry by NYC.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
The city gets away with that commuter tax due to the state being control by leftist NYC politicians. It would be a dead issue as one state cannot tax another states residents should upstate become separate. What's more likely is that NYC residents who aren't societal leeches would move upstate to enjoy a more reasonable tax environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York