Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM

270 posts, read 732,308 times

Advertisements

I know that there is not likely a bus that runs direct between penn yan and elmira. But with the price of fuel (and with my husband's 2500 diesel pickup being his primary mode of transportation), I figured I'd ask if there is any way to get back and forth between penn yan and elmira via public transportation. Even perhaps a town in between, like...picking up a bus in Watkins or something.

Maybe a commuter train? Lol, can you tell I've been spoiled by living an hour south of boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 PM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I know that Yates County doesn't have any public transportation. Schuyler County does, but it is for select communities. Chemung County has some as well, but manily for that county and maybe into the Corning area.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:11 PM

Darn! So there's no horse n' buggy heading from Penn Yan to Elmira? Poo! Gas is going to cost us an arm and a leg. My husband wants a motorcycle...but I'm leery...he's no good to me if he's dead.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:51 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I've never heard of one .... public transport isn't really existant in this area .... you can maybe catch a greyhound bus or some kind of shuttle every now and again - but I don't know of much that runs on a consistent/commuter basis ..... there is a shortline/coach USA bus that runs between bath & elmira ... but unless you're working short days/off hours I'm not sure if it makes sense, especially since I'm sure it's not all that cheap and it would add on an extra 20-30 mins treking down to bath as opposed to just going through the hills and down seneca into elmira

here are some commuter bus sites to explore ... looks like you'd have to go to at least horseheads/the mall ..... or you could go to bath and take the steuben county bath/corning route and then transfer to a corning/elmira route on the chemung county system .... looks to be more trouble than it's worth though

http://www.chemungcountytransit.com/

Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured...lol. Thought I'd ask anyways. About the furthest away I'd have my husband travel to pick up a bus would be Watkins Glen...lol.

Stinks even more because none of his coworkers live up near Penn Yan or even Watkins Glen, either. So he can't even carpool.

Gas prices are ridiculous...I wonder how he'd feel about driving a scooter or a moped?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
As long as ego isn't involved you can find some decent fuel efficient cars that will run - may not be pretty, but they work.

I know a guy back home who usually commutes 70+ miles each way for construction work .... he gets used hatchbacks/small station wagons with good gas mileage - converts the back for tools and rides them into the ground .... some of them aren't the most masculine in appearance, but they work pretty well and have survived a few winters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York