Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 08:04 AM

27 posts, read 117,398 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm in my late 50's, retired and now a single man. The city has been my home but I want to begin to grow roots in a more peaceful place. I've always dreamed of having a couple of acres somewhere, near civilization and a good restaurant. Three hours (or so) from NY city isn't a long drive. I do not want to live in large suburban area and also not in a place that is completely isolated. Ideally, things like good community, walkable shopping areas (downtown), near a college, and of course - not too expensive - are what I'm after. I can shop for a $275K house but I rather spend a lot less if possible. It's more about living in a terrific town with great people than in an expensive house.
The New Paltz area comes to mind but it seems to have grown "rich" and has lost some of it's soul to hipsters and high taxes. Your opinions would be a great help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I would immediately recommend Saratoga Springs to you, as it is a straight shot up I-87 about three hours north of NYC, but I believe the cost-of-living there is rather high in relation to other towns upstate that could offer a similar quality-of-life. Saratoga Springs is home to Skidmore College, a branch of SUNY, the famous Saratoga Equestrian Course, and natural springs. The community is only about a half-hour north of Albany/Schenectady/Troy.

Ithaca is another nice college town that is home to Cornell University and Ithaca College, but it is on the expensive side and is a bit of a haul at about four hours from NYC.

I'm not familiar with Oneonta, but I notice that it is home to Hartwick College and a branch campus of SUNY for a bit of a college town flair, as well as being home to the National Soccer Hall of Fame. As such, I'd assume its downtown area would be very walkable and pleasant, although others can chime in to discredit my conjecture.

I know it's a bit far of a drive, at just over five hours from NYC, but I've also heard some awesome things about Plattsburgh, which is along Lake Champlain, has a great downtown, and is a college town.

Also, I don't know if you're open to being persuaded into PA or not, but a few towns here fit your requirements as well, especially Honesdale, which is only about 2.5 hours from NYC and has an awesome historic downtown.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:51 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Hudson, NY

Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the reply ScrantonWilkesBarre... I have just begun to consider the NE section of Penn. Gorgeous area - good people.
Regarding the city of Hudson, I recall a Gertrude Stein remark that seems to fit. .. "there isn't any there, there." It's really just a few blocks of nice storefronts and a few restaurants, the rest is a fairly run down looking place.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Actually, there's been quite an influx of NYC people and business to turn around the place. Warren St. is now beautiful...loaded with art galleries, antique shops and restaurants (including Mexican Radio, by the same owners of the restaurant with same name in NYC). I suggested Hudson b/c it has this main street going for it...but you can go 5 minutes away and be in some nice suburban-like setting. 10 minutes away could put you in an area where you can own a couple of acres (and horses, too). But it still meets your criteria for closeness to convenience...plus a little downstate feel. Plenty of doctors, dentists and the like. The hospital has been remodelled and has also turned itself around. If you haven't been there in the past 5 years, I suggest you take a drive up and I'm sure you'll be amazed at the difference.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:26 PM

Thanks JFK. I may have written a bit too harshly about Hudson armed with nothing more than a quick visit to the area several years ago. Even very familiar places seem to change almost overnight, these days and I should not have been so dismissive.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Toga Toga Toga

Old 08-02-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2or3 View Post
Thanks JFK. I may have written a bit too harshly about Hudson armed with nothing more than a quick visit to the area several years ago. Even very familiar places seem to change almost overnight, these days and I should not have been so dismissive.
no problem...I'm not defensive about the area...I don't even live there (but live close by - across the river). Everyone has noticed the dramatic turnaround up here in Hudson and it seemed to meet your criteria.

Good luck in your search...it truly is beautiful country up here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York