Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 AM

263 posts, read 623,840 times

Advertisements

Vermont is the best State as far as the second Amendment, you can pack heat if you like (like carrying a brick..)

I am a gun owner in NY, have a handgun permit, hunting rifles and shotguns. You wont have a problem at all.

No real break ins in a lot of small towns. Somebody might have a gun in there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,493,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
No real break ins in a lot of small towns. Somebody might have a gun in there....
Damn skippy!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 PM

275 posts, read 789,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Oh! Hudson highlands. A beautiful area!

Could be rather costly out there though. What do you think of central/western NY? The southern tier in general tends to be cheaper.

Oh and, Virginia is also a great state. I would definitely live in the mountains in VA.
The southern tier as well as areas around Syracuse would be a plan B. I'm concerned about the greater abundance of snow coming off the lake though. I would consider SW Virginia over NYS but believe it or not, my wife (FL native) is pushing for upstate NY. She fell in love with Lake George and Saratoga Springs. A lot of the small towns are picture-postcard types that she really has fallen in love with.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 PM

152 posts, read 320,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
First, I was formerly a resident of NYS up to 30 years ago. I was/am fully aware of the anti-gun mentality of the politicians in NY. However, since I am considering UPSTATE NY to move back to in another year, I am trying to get an idea about what the laws say about gun ownership in your own home. Not talking about concealed-carry. In the upstate areas (north of Albany), is it legal to have a handgun in your own home for protection? Also, here in FL, we have what is called the "Castle Doctrine" regarding the use of deadly force on home intruders. Is there such a law in NYS? Or are you hung out to dry if you happen to shoot a home intruder while protecting your family? Just interested in determining if the law exists in NYS. Am not interested in defending the Castle Doctrine to those who don't agree with it.
pennsylvania just enacted the castle doctrine, if you want to move close to the ny / pa border?? lower taxes too ( but you get what you pay for with that)

Old 05-20-2011, 06:24 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,251,821 times
If you like guns your not gonna like NY. BB guns and shotguns are fine but generally speaking pistols are not gonna happen. I've never known anyone in NY with a pistol. I have always lived on farms and small towns though so maybe in or near the cities its more common?? I've never actually tried to get a permit. I would like to but its very expensive and "word on the street" is that most are denied and they keep your money.

On the other things you mention I can't follow. The small town feel is in Eastern NY. The Syracuse area is mostly just sprawl. I mean a few jobs are still in the area so if ya gotta work then thats that and then of coarse you have to eat and buy cloths but otherwise NOTHING is in this area.

How about Cooperstown or Cobleskill?? Almost any were along the Mohawk or Hudson rivers is gonna be postcard perfect. Anywere from about Utica on West is basicly just boring flat post-industrial rust belt sprawl with some of (actually the worst) the most draconian gun laws in the World. So quite frankly the look and feel of Syracuse/Rochester/Buffalo is more in line with Pa and Ohio and those states allow you to own guns so why not save yourself a headache??

Old 05-22-2011, 02:35 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,774,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
If you like guns your not gonna like NY. BB guns and shotguns are fine but generally speaking pistols are not gonna happen. I've never known anyone in NY with a pistol. I have always lived on farms and small towns though so maybe in or near the cities its more common?? I've never actually tried to get a permit. I would like to but its very expensive and "word on the street" is that most are denied and they keep your money.
If your permit is denied, you did it wrong or didn't meet the qualifications.

You take the pistol course from an NRA instructor. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg; the actual cost is less than $100/but you will find businesses charge more than individuals. You pass the course. You go apply for the permit in your county. You need a clean record and 3 reputable references. When that is cleared, you get your permit and have to put a gun on it within 30 days. [No gun in 30 days, it is invalid.] Most permits are listed for hunting/target. If you want a concealed carry, you will have to demonstate an actual need for it.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:20 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,425,710 times
There is no castle doctrine in NY and though it may sound disappointing, you can't shoot people. Sorry...

Old 05-22-2011, 03:21 PM

No coarse here in Madison County.

I will find out tomorrow. I'll head to Wampsville and see about a gat.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,774,516 times
Madison County Sheriff's Office - Pistol Permits

30 seconds to find this. Laws for getting a permit. Typ in NRA pistol permit class and see what you get. Or contact NRA. I found classes in Oneida County. NRA ceritfication just means you took the class.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 AM

I actually went and got the paper work on Monday. No classes are needed in this county.

I must say its quite the stack of paperwork.

Driving around getting signatures is gonna be a PITA.

And its very expensive and I have a graduation coming up. I'll get back to ya in July when I have time and money to deal with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York