Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 AM

25 posts, read 92,698 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone,

My wife and I are considering towns immediately outside of Ithaca, NY. We love the progressive and liberal side of Ithaca but are forced to look outside since we want larger land piece then what's available in our price range within Ithaca.

I would love to hear everyone's opinion (and it's explanation) on which of the adjacent towns around Ithaca is the least conservative.

I know this topic was brought up a few times before - but things change over time ... hence is this question again.

Many thanks,
Aleks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Trumansburg/the town of Ulysses is pretty "liberal" in its own right. Dryden and Lansing might work too.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
I don't know how to tell the politics of an area but I can say I just love Dryden.

I have a friend in Horseheads and take 13 down and every single time I fall in love with Dryden again.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I don't know how to tell the politics of an area but I can say I just love Dryden.

I have a friend in Horseheads and take 13 down and every single time I fall in love with Dryden again.
What seems to appeal to you?

It's not as liberal as Ithaca but has a fair number of folks associated with Cornell, staff and ag faculty. (I grew up in and graduated from Dryden school district where my mother also taught for many years.)

Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
This may sound crazy but it just "feels" nice.

I don't know alot about the town, mostly just stop and get a soda pop at the store and enjoy.

With an equal amount of time I can say I love Ithaca and hate Cortland. Funny how that happens.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Townships: Dryden-Groton-Lansing-Homer-Moravis-Genoa-Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleLifeNY View Post
Good morning everyone,

My wife and I are considering towns immediately outside of Ithaca, NY. We love the progressive and liberal side of Ithaca but are forced to look outside since we want larger land piece then what's available in our price range within Ithaca.

I would love to hear everyone's opinion (and it's explanation) on which of the adjacent towns around Ithaca is the least conservative.

I know this topic was brought up a few times before - but things change over time ... hence is this question again.

Many thanks,
Aleks
Hello Aleks & wife,

My suggested locations are only based on the prices of property probably being less than Ithaca city & Township. And you can still have the nearby "liberal" influence of Ithaca city.

All my suggested locations are about the "Townships" NOT the villages/hamlets/settlements with the same name. The "TOWNSHIPS" (not villages) of: Lansing, Dryden, Groton, Genoa, Moravia, Homer (west of Rt. 281), Ulysses (Trumansburg). All of these TOWNSHIPS have picturesque gently rolling hills/landmass, lots of rural land, small clean water streams/creeks, wildlife-waterfowl/birds, and some properties with beautiful views overlooking the surrounding terrain and in some places overlooking Cayuga Lake (one of the Finger Lakes). Whenever I drive through the Townships of Dryden and Lansing, I love the beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. Several years ago I met a family who had moved from Brooklyn to the Township of Scott (adjacent to the Township of Homer) where they bought acreage to start a landscaping nursery business. They wanted to move away from the Big City influences and give their children what they called a better life experience.

Best of luck to you wherever you choose to resettle on countryside land.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 05-26-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Hello Aleks & wife,

My suggested locations are only based on the prices of property probably being less than Ithaca city & Township. And you can still have the nearby "liberal" influence of Ithaca city.

All my suggested locations are about the "Townships" NOT the villages/hamlets/settlements with the same name. The "TOWNSHIPS" (not villages) of: Lansing, Dryden, Groton, Genoa, Moravia, Homer (west of Rt. 281), Ulysses (Trumansburg). All of these TOWNSHIPS have picturesque gently rolling hills/landmass, lots of rural land, small clean water streams/creeks, wildlife-waterfowl/birds, and some properties with beautiful views overlooking the surrounding terrain and in some places overlooking Cayuga Lake (one of the Finger Lakes). Whenever I drive through the Townships of Dryden and Lansing, I love the beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. Several years ago I met a family who had moved from Brooklyn to the Township of Scott (adjacent to the Township of Homer) where they bought acreage to start a landscaping nursery business. They wanted to move away from the Big City influences and give their children what they called a better life experience.
To add to this Town of Caroline (especially northwestern half) is kinda hippie and in Ithaca schools too. Southeast corner is in Newark Valley schools with less influence from Ithaca.

I don't think this is too far off although the Town of Virgil is also similar and closer to Ithaca than some of these, and the western third of the Town of Cortlandville is in either Homer or Dryden schools, west edge of Virgil town is in Dryden school district, western half of Town of Harford is in Dryden schools too.

The middle of Virgil and south side of Cortlandville are in Cortland City schools, Cortland has its own college and some influence of Ithaca as well and generally a much less conservative outlook even among Republicans than the Democrats I see in central PA. The hills are a bit higher in Virgil especially around Greek Peak ski area (Virgil Mountain is highest point in 70 miles) so this town seems more attractive to transplants than some other areas.

East side of Homer town and also Truxton are in Homer schools and there's some hippie element there although this particular rural zone is more tributary to Syracuse than to Ithaca.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:13 PM

19 posts, read 51,053 times
I grew up in Southern Cayuga County and lived in Ithaca later in life. As a liberal, I would never go back to the King Ferry, Genoa, Moravia area. Nice people but very conservative! Aurora tends to be liberal. It's a pretty village along Cayuga lake, but 30 miles from Ithaca. If you want to stick with liberal folks, I would stay within Tompkins County.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:29 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
My g/f & I are also considering upstate, Fingerlakes area to relocate. But I'm not sure if it is too isolated there. I would love to be near Cornell & be able to research at the library, etc.

We are thinking of Trumansburg, Slaterville Spgs or Newfield areas. She is disabled, thus we need housing based on her disabled status. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:18 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
My g/f & I are also considering upstate, Fingerlakes area to relocate. But I'm not sure if it is too isolated there. I would love to be near Cornell & be able to research at the library, etc.

We are thinking of Trumansburg, Slaterville Spgs or Newfield areas. She is disabled, thus we need housing based on her disabled status. Thanks for the input.
Perhaps something in Dryden or Lansing would work. Ithaca, NY Apartments and Houses for Rent, Local Apartment and Home Rentals, House, Townhome, and Condo Rentals, Vacation Rentals, Roommate and Sublet Classifieds ::

Apartments Ithaca, NY | Cornell University Apartments | Ithaca Apartments

Ithaca NY Rental Properties: Solomon Organization Ithaca Apartments near Cornell University downtown student luxury residential lake rentals real estate New York

Apartments in Ithaca, NY: Student Apartments: Novarr-Mackesey

IC InfoDesk Presents: Guide to Ithaca, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York