Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Rome is the second biggest city in NY and by far the biggest Upstate. For some perspective Rome is larger the Syracuse and Buffalo COMBINED!!! BTW I mean size not population.
Rome isn't that big.

Look here at the size: Rome, NY - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:11 AM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Rome isn't that big.

Look here at the size: Rome, NY - Google Maps
Actually in terms of square miles, that post is correct. Rome is around 75 square miles for a city with only 32,000 people. It's misleading though, as there is a dense inner district and a very rural like outer district that is no different from many of the surrounding towns.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering NYR View Post
Thanks again. It does not sound much different than some sections of Buffalo or where I live now. I am looking forward to being surrounded by nature.
Rome is more like Lockport if Lockport made the city and town of Lockport one entity. Both even have the canal influence to some degree, the makeup of the people and the schools are similar too. So, that gives you an idea about Rome in a more tangible way.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,110 times
Default Syracuse Forum Inquiry Moved to general New York State Forum

Hello wandering NYR,

I'm sure that you've noticed that C-D Moderators have moved your original post from the Syracuse Forum to the general New York State Forum. I don't believe that that should always be done. After all, Rome could be considered to be in the "larger" Syracuse/Central NY region and Syracuse Forum Members would have good info to offer about nearby Rome, especially since C-D officials don't seem to want to establish a Utica/Rome/Little Falls/Mohawk Valley Forum of it's own. The "larger" Syracuse Forum region should also include areas like Oswego, Cortland, Auburn, Seneca Falls, etc. .. Maybe the Syracuse Forum should be the "Syracuse/Central NY Forum".

I just about NEVER - 99% of the time, do not go to the general NY State Forum to read nor to post; I find that the posts there are too scattered around with little regional/area connectivity with one another. 99% of the time I only post on the Syracuse Forum so anyone who inquires on the Syracuse Forum, I'm happy to give them appropriate information even if it isn't about Metro Syracuse.

Needless to say, I would have never read your inquiry post if you had placed your question on the general New York State Forum. Therefore, I would NOT have researched for info to answer your questions. So, I'm glad you DID place your original post on the Syracuse Forum and I am happy to have been able to gather information to help answer questions you have.

Again, best of luck in your new job in Rome NY.

grdnrman

Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually in terms of square miles, that post is correct. Rome is around 75 square miles for a city with only 32,000 people. It's misleading though, as there is a dense inner district and a very rural like outer district that is no different from many of the surrounding towns.
Extremely misleading!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM

How ciuld I forget Ft. Rickey Game Farm, the Rome Sand Plains and people love their RFA Football: RFA Football 2011 News, Schedule, and Scores

There is a minor league hockey team there as well.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 820 times
Hello,

I will relocating to Rome NYC to work at the DFAS at the end of August. I need to know if there are any good apartments and public transportation nearby. I will be without a car for a few months so I will need to rely on public transportation to and from work or home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrick41 View Post
Hello,

I will relocating to Rome NYC to work at the DFAS at the end of August. I need to know if there are any good apartments and public transportation nearby. I will be without a car for a few months so I will need to rely on public transportation to and from work or home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
They have a bus system there(CENTRO), but I'm not sure as to how extensive it is in Rome. Here is some information on that: Centro Rome

As for apartments, there is a similar thread that is on here and it should have some good information. Here are some listings in the area: Springbrook Apartments - Rome, NY | CRM Rental Management

Windsor Mews Apartments Apartments in Rome, NY | Apartments.com

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Utica/Rome - Rome Towers

Mohawk Garden Apartments

Rose Gardens Apartments - Homepage

Rome Apartments and Rentals - Walk Score

utica apts/housing for rent classifieds "rome" - craigslist

Home | C A Kaplan

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-26-2014 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York