Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times

Advertisements

Fully agree honey! I'm with you on the adrenaline thing. And when one leaves to come back upstate, I get past the Tappan Zee exit on the Sprain Brook...and I can breathe normal again and go back to normal good (non-agressive) driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 03:04 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Fully agree honey! I'm with you on the adrenaline thing. And when one leaves to come back upstate, I get past the Tappan Zee exit on the Sprain Brook...and I can breathe normal again and go back to normal good (non-agressive) driving.
It really is a sweet relief. Not to mention the 10 or so degree temperature drop (this time of year), the smell of grass and trees.... heck, even freshly spread manure is perfume compared to some of the emissions the city generates!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:40 PM

131 posts, read 648,367 times
Quote:
hey...if you want to swim the sharks...you've got to become one, or risk being eaten. I'm not defending city drivers...but from what I see...it's the non-agressive types (from out of town) that cause the accidents down there. If you don't want to swim with the sharks...you can play it safe...mass-transit is your life raft.

I don't use mass transit, I don't swim with the sharks and have never been "EATEN", and I am basically a non aggressive driver who lived, worked and DROVE in BALTIMORE FOR OVER A DOZEN YEARS, PRIOR TO MOVING TO INDY NEARLY FIVE YEARS AGO. AND I HAVE NOT CAUSED ANY ACCIDENTS OR BEEN IN ONE. Your point is well taken, but I consider it debatable. So, let us agree to disagree agreeably, Take it easy.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 PM

oooops...my bad...I was addressing Mainegirl!

Easy on the CAPS, Rich....you might cause an accident!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:38 PM

89 posts, read 564,780 times
I'm going to have to agree with jason_els and say that drivers are bad in New Jersey and also in PA.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:19 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,996 times
Quote:
hey...if you want to swim the sharks...you've got to become one, or risk being eaten. I'm not defending city drivers...but from what I see...it's the non-agressive types (from out of town) that cause the accidents down there. If you don't want to swim with the sharks...you can play it safe...mass-transit is your life raft.

Becoming an ASSERTIVE driver when you go to these hell holes makes more sense, but becoming an agressive driver only adds to the problem.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM

True...good point! Assertive is the better word. Thx.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:02 PM

77 posts, read 119,887 times
Having driven in many rural and major metro areas around the U.S., I do find most of the "drivers in XYZ are the worst!" claims to be exaggerated. Like an earlier poster said, in most places most of the time in this country most drivers behave rather similarly. Not surprisingly, in big cities people drive more assertively ("offensively") and in rural areas, not so much. I also agree with the earlier poster that when you are new to a place, the locals seem more aggressive because they know where they're going.

Which is not to say there are never differences. NYC area driving is obviously a case of, every man (or woman) for himself. You need to be comfortable with that, or else don't do it -- too dangerous, for you and everyone else on the road. Having grown up driving in that area, I can adjust to it pretty easily whether in NY/DC/LA, even though I'm happy taking it slower at present home in the country. And to be honest, it can be kinda fun ... for a little while

When you are driving among aggressive drivers, no matter where you are, it is always entertaining to watch their fits in your rearview mirror. Say you're looking for an address, or maybe even a car two lengths ahead of you is the slowpoke and you're just hanging back patiently -- but the guy (or gal) behind you is throwing their hands in the air and bouncing in their seat and basically looking like they're going to explode. These people are there for your entertainment and it is only good manners to enjoy them. They are the jesters of the road.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:12 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,996 times
Quote:
True...good point! Assertive is the better word. Thx.

You're welcome.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 PM

27 posts, read 148,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrich View Post
IN the early fall of 2005, I drove from my home in Indy to attend the wedding reception of an old Army buddy at the CULINARY INSTITUTE OF AMERICA IN HYDE PARK NEW YORK. Frankly, what I experienced on the road confirms what I have previously heard about New York drivers. I had to be extra careful, even on the secondary roads which I used to see my friends in Coxsackie. The drivers were absolutely AGGRESSIVE and constantly in a hurry. They weren't the courteous drivers I ever encountered either. In many cases, I got off the road to let those individuals pass me because I was tired of being virtually tailgated by some of those same drivers. Upstate New York is a beautiful place, and I highly praise the cooking at the CIA, but I hate the AGGRESSIVE drivers. No offense intended to the residents of New York.
Psh, their are agressive drivers everywhere. Spend some time in Massachussets. Or have you ever driven the NJ turnpike? Virginia drivers are crazy as well. Its all relative; i guess. And note HYDE PARK/DUTCHESS COUNTY IS NOT "UPSTATE". ok? ok. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York