Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:18 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,392,716 times

Advertisements

It's all relative...to someone living on LI or NYC, Hyde Park and Dutchess county is definitely upstate. To someone from Oswego, it isn't.

I've always drawn the downstate line as Westchester county & below. I wonder where others draw that line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 01:36 PM

27 posts, read 147,913 times
well to me upstate is the capital region and north. Dutchess, Putnam, Ulster counties all seem to be middle-state. Westchester, Rockland to me are downstate.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
It really is a sweet relief. Not to mention the 10 or so degree temperature drop (this time of year), the smell of grass and trees.... heck, even freshly spread manure is perfume compared to some of the emissions the city generates!
what the heck does that have to do with driving north of westchester...?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
You think we're bad? You should try New Jersey, Rhode Island or, even worse, Massachusetts. We look like a bunch of Germans compared to them.
EXACTLY. thank you. i mentioned all of them minus RI.
Virginia's crazy too.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 PM

131 posts, read 646,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Becoming an ASSERTIVE driver when you go to these hell holes makes more sense, but becoming an agressive driver only adds to the problem.
You made an excellent point about being an ASSERTIVE DRIVER. I identify with thosw kind of drivers. I should have mentioned that sooner.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:01 PM

131 posts, read 646,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxosaryoxx View Post
Psh, their are agressive drivers everywhere. Spend some time in Massachussets. Or have you ever driven the NJ turnpike? Virginia drivers are crazy as well. Its all relative; i guess. And note HYDE PARK/DUTCHESS COUNTY IS NOT "UPSTATE". ok? ok. thanks.

Yes, it is all relative and I am fully aware of the fact that aggressive drivers exist everywhere.Indianapolis has its share of aggressive drivers/morons. I have been a licensed driver for 32 years, and I make it a point not to play games with those jerks. Consequently, unlike alot of aggressive drivers, I have never been arrested. I PREVIOUSLY acknowledged the fact that Hyde Park is not upstate New York. Thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 08:49 AM

254 posts, read 1,139,436 times
Default personal statistics

I have been driving for 30 years exactly as of last Tuesday. Most of my adult life has been in the South. I moved back to NY just less than a year ago and already I've been hit twice while parked & unoccupied........(the 2nd one was just this morning) We're not on a good role so far. Also I see an accident/day going to & from work. I think if people SLOW DOWN it would help. Everyone looks like they're on their way to a fire but none of them have light bars.

I just read somewhere that NY is either the worst or 2nd worst state for bad drivers.

Outside that, NY is still one of the best states out there, IMHO.

Last edited by averagenyjoe; 08-10-2007 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 08-10-2007, 01:32 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,890,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
I have been driving for 30 years exactly as of last Tuesday. Most of my adult life has been in the South. I moved back to NY just less than a year ago and already I've been hit twice while parked & unoccupied........(the 2nd one was just this morning) We're not on a good role so far. Also I see an accident/day going to & from work. I think if people SLOW DOWN it would help. Everyone looks like they're on their way to a fire but none of them have light bars.
It's not speed, it's distraction. Cell phones are the worst but people are also drinking coffee, eating danish, paying too much attention to the radio, trying to fiddle with ipods, or programming their GPS. Just watch people at an intersection. Where I used to work we had a intersection with a very long light I'd watch car after car after car with people yammering on cell phones, driving with one hand, even though it's illegal here in New York to do so. Driving seems to be the last thing on their minds.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM

254 posts, read 1,139,436 times
Default whoever said a little technology never hurt anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
It's not speed, it's distraction. Cell phones are the worst but people are also drinking coffee, eating danish, paying too much attention to the radio, trying to fiddle with ipods, or programming their GPS. Just watch people at an intersection. Where I used to work we had a intersection with a very long light I'd watch car after car after car with people yammering on cell phones, driving with one hand, even though it's illegal here in New York to do so. Driving seems to be the last thing on their minds.

How right you are. Those are probably the biggest contributors. Its just that my 2 accidents were a direct result of people going too fast for the condition at hand. People get fussing with their pet distraction and dont even know they are going 50 in a 25.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:11 AM

6,294 posts, read 10,998,935 times
I've logged nearly a MILLION miles on the road in over 25 years of driving. I've driven from coast to coast and in dozens of metroplitan areas. One thing that I've noted is that each and every region has a different set of problems with its drivers. To the people that believe poor driving habits are the same no matter where you go I can honestly tell you that is simply not the case.

Just a few examples. Here in Kansas City I've noted that tailgating at high speed is the rule rather than the exception. Finding lots of drivers driving 10 to 15 mph below the speed limit even on relatively traffic free highways is not uncommon and even in the passing lane. Clogging up the passing lane is a favorite passtime of these jerks. Cars will travel mile after mile in the passing lane and not pull over to let people pass.

One aspect of driving that is bordering on the perverse is the way many of these drivers will "shadow" you while in an adjacent lane. You can be driving in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway and you'll get another car that will pull up in the left or right lane and then proceed to sit in your blind spot where you cannot see them in your rear view mirror. You can speed up or slow down in an effort to re-position yourself to keep them in your sight but instead that a-hole will mirror your movement and proceed to do the same. The end result is that you still cannot see the car because its driver has decided to stay right in your blind spot.

Here is it nearly impossible to merge into traffic especially on the highway because people drive too close to one another. And then when you are stopped in traffic they creep right up on your tail and sit there like an overbearing neighbor.

Probably the most amusing bad driving habit I've seen here is the way these people will stack up their cars in a single lane to exit or enter another road or highway. You can have two lanes exiting off one road and onto another and you will see 10 to 20 cars in one exit lane while the other is empty! I've noticed they simply do not know how to merge with one another between lanes thus they just use a single lane to exit or enter the next road. Unbelievable. In short, the roads in KC are in absolute chaos and some of the driving habits these people have are a lot like those in Boston but at a slower speed.

Recently I had the good fortune to spend a short weekend in Minneapolis and that was a refreshing change over living in KC. People did not tailgate, knew how to merge in traffic, did not drive in my blind spot and overall they drove much more civily than in the Kansas City area.

I'm from the Hartford area and I've noted the driving habits of Nutmegers is different than Massachusetts but closer to that of New York City. People do drive aggressively and fast in most of Connecticut but they also seem to be paying more attention to the road than most of the people in Kansas City that seem to be asleep at the wheel and oblivious to what is going on around them.

Cincinnati region drivers are pretty well mannered compard to Cleveland and points north. In Ohio you will find a lot of cars that use that passing lane to just sit and cruise just like the Kansas City area but that seems to be the worst trait exhibited by Ohio drivers. And I don't see much of that in the Cincinnati area but from Dayton to Columbus and points north it seems to be more common.

I could drone on and on about this subject but I think you get the point. Yes, aggresive drivers are everywhere but please don't equate fast or agressive driving with bad driving. Sometimes those people have better driving habits than the people that drive at slow speeds. In closing, a friend of mine also from Connecticut recently drove from Denver to Richmond and had to pass through KC on his way back east. It was the first time he had ever driven this route. He told me he noticed how poorly the people drove in the Kansas City area when comparing it to Denver and other cities along the way.

That's the fact, Jack. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York