Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 PM

23 posts, read 55,019 times

Advertisements

Correct, I made a mistake. I was thinking of another campus, regarding the skinheads. Academically, the university of Binghamton excels in much. I just think that the architects could have done a better job in creating a landscape that may inspire. At times in areas of campus it is as if you are walking in a retirement home campus. That's only my impression. Cannot please everyone.

ki0eh must be talking about the Inebriate Asylum built in the 1800s. That is an interesting piece of history, because it was the first in the country, while Binghamton was denoted as Parlor City because it had the greatest number of watering holes out of cities its size at the time....so the rumor goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 PM

63 posts, read 234,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmtb View Post
Kind of reminds me of Russia for some reason.
Funny that you say that because my older brother goes to Binghamton University and he refers to Binghamton as Siberia.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
SKINHEADS?!?!! Where are you getting all these crazy ideas from!?!! I want to just slap you upside the head at your comments!!! I never saw skinheads in my time there!! Campus safety is very good, if you read all the student reviews about BU, campus safety is one of the top areas that receives little complaints. Most students complain about the awful food and crappy weather.. If you did see skinheads, I assure you they weren't SUNY Binghamton students, thats for sure!!!

I graduated last yr and I saw a 3 Skin heads with walking around campus. They had swatiskas tatooes on their forearms. I presume they were students but I am not sure though. Don;t forget Johnson City used to the headquarters of the KKK for the Northeast. It didn;t disappear, they just assimilated better into society!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:25 AM

93,174 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I graduated last yr and I saw a 3 Skin heads with walking around campus. They had swatiskas tatooes on their forearms. I presume they were students but I am not sure though. Don;t forget Johnson City used to the headquarters of the KKK for the Northeast. It didn;t disappear, they just assimilated better into society!
To be fair, that was in the 1920's at the height of the Klan and when many Eastern and Southern European immigrants came to the area to work at the Endicott-Johnson factories. That's why Endicott is known for it's Italian community and Johnson City it's Slavic communities. I believe it was the HQ for just the state, by the way.

With that said, I've also heard that there is a presence of said groups in the area. I wouldn't be surprised if they come from PA, as I remember stopping in Great Bend and seeing a store with a small picture of Hitler in the window talking about guns or something to that effect.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be fair, that was in the 1920's at the height of the Klan and when many Eastern and Southern European immigrants came to the area to work at the Endicott-Johnson factories. That's why Endicott is known for it's Italian community and Johnson City it's Slavic communities. I believe it was the HQ for just the state, by the way.

With that said, I've also heard that there is a presence of said groups in the area. I wouldn't be surprised if they come from PA, as I remember stopping in Great Bend and seeing a store with a small picture of Hitler in the window talking about guns or something to that effect.

Yea that's true but I remember 4 yrs go, the police busted a skinhead's house near Binghamton HS who was stockpiling weapons and bomb making equipment. PA is notorious for the stuff though...

Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 AM

93,174 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Yea that's true but I remember 4 yrs go, the police busted a skinhead's house near Binghamton HS who was stockpiling weapons and bomb making equipment. PA is notorious for the stuff though...
I'm not surprised, as such groups are pretty much in every state. You can find a map on the Intelligence Report website.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
And for the love of God: stop listening to Glen F****** Beck.
These Nazi and extremist white skinhead supremacist ideas are propagated by FOX News and others such as Bill O'Rielly, and exhibited by the Binghamton City council, who defends the murder and spending resources on mass murder, by the terrorist US military DOD and Pentagon, in denying Mayor Ryan the right to post the extreme waste to the taxpayer for this. Muslims are the targets these days.

The biggest point in racist Binghamton, is the fact that no one in the community gave a uproar over this denial based on offending mass murdering trained killing scum. ....perhaps it would have awaken the exploited and enslaved former soldiers to facts, and pull them from their allegiance to a the US military. Maybe the sign would caused them to see how racist this country is, and how their lives had been stolen.

As for skinheads,
Quote:
The young Hitler had an unhappy childhood and was a failed painter. ‘I am nobody and am sure of nothing’ becomes ‘I am powerful and sure about everything: it is in the book’. If fundamentalists were really sure they would not have to be so intolerant. People who feel threatened in this way see others in very partial terms — as part-objects. They suffer from phantasies of annihilation and defend themselves against these psychotic anxieties with rigid views. They lose the ability to imagine the inner world and the humanity of others. Sympathy, compassion and concern for the object evaporate, and brittle feelings of blaming and destructiveness predominate. They act out. Where acting out is, thought cannot be.
Psychoanalysis, Terrorism and Fundamentalism by Robert M. Young

Last edited by mon906; 07-28-2011 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 AM

31 posts, read 53,678 times
I have gone to school in Binghamton and it highly depends on where you go. Like any town, its going to have some no so great people who are not accepting of newcomers, but there are many nice people that I have gotten to know and become great friends with. The area closer to the University is very good, but downtown is not always the best.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
I must say I find it very interesting that this thread has lasted for a month and a half. Anyone else notice that this was the OP's FIRST and ONLY post to CD? Certainly seems like someone trolling for trouble.

No place is perfect. Every single town in the US has some issue. Some are minute and mundane details and others are in a lot of trouble. I've never felt like Binghamton was the most disgusting, unsafe place in NY nor the rest of the country. There are drugs and baggy pants EVERYWHERE!

Travel a bit and you can see some real unsavory places. The OP should go out and see the rest of America and then go back to Binghamton. Chances are he/she would be in for quite a surprise.

Judging by the attitude and discontent in the OP's post, I can just imagine how they walk around town and treat people. That certainly won't make you any friends easily. People love to be told they're "ignorant fools." I know I would most definitely want to be friends with someone who treated me like that!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 PM

I think that there is a lesson in this threat, if we disregard the more disparaging elements of it, and that is our society in varying ways has cultivated a class of people who are ignorant, without any purpose that has depth, and this has gone side by side with the demise of cities like Binghamton, due to NAFTA, downsizing of the 90s, the building of strip malls and box stores, and the reduction of quality in education in such cities.

Owego, NY is voted best small city in New York State, being the case only because of Lockheed Martin. Owego two decades ago was not such a place. It was pleasant, but not like it is today.

The point with this statement is that there is a deficit in businesses and industry and manufacturing and such all over this supposed 'land of the free'. A lack of economic diversity. Defense is going to be an industry without a doubt, but to look at the landscape and only see this, with pot holes economically speaking down the road in Binghamton, concludes the state cannot compete, and has severe structural problems.

And the baggy pants-ers, is there any hope for this nation of unthinking reality TV watching people. Now with MTV Teen Pregnancy reality shows, we have something to make all the illegitimate moms in Binghamton to feel great about their states, and with shows like that, we can bet that there will be an increase in teen pregnancies. Just what a deficit ridden, war mongering nation needs.

Diversity is the answer, and until people like Ron Paul and many other democrats get this nation rolling again, I am afraid that the baggy panters and teen moms will rule, while welcoming home PTSD soldiers from our nations destructive practices abroad. And yes, skinheads factors in here somewhere.

[SIZE=+1]"Thinking about the dynamics of this way of thinking intrapsychically, why do people become fundamentalists? People or peoples or groups somehow come to feel deeply threatened. Poor people, disenfranchised people, displaced people, embattled people, refugees. In a reduced state people cannot bear uncertainty. What people do when they feel under threat is to simplify. To simplify in psychoanalytic terms is to regress, to eliminate the middle ground, to split, dividing the world into safe and threat, good and evil, life and death. To be a fundamentalist is to see the world perpetually in these terms to cling to certainties drawn from sacred texts or the pronouncements of charismatic leaders."
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]http://www.btinternet.com/~psycho_social/Vol1/JPSS1-RMY1.htm (Psychoanalysis, Terrorism and Fundamentalism
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York