Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:09 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Owego didn't get that award because of Lockheed Martin, but because it has a nice, if not urbanlike, infrastructure for a village of just under 4000. It also has some events that attract people from around that area too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 PM

23 posts, read 55,032 times
My point was that Lockheed Martin has done much over the recent history of it growth there to bolster this little town, creating a class of people with disposable income from middle class to upper middle.

That has done much for the downtown, which compared to a decade or two ago, was quite different. This has done much to make those attractive events possible. So there is a correlation, I believe.

Binghamton has the balloon fest, art walk, jazz on the street downtown, and some other events throughout the year. Plus, one can stroll the streets or ride in your car and see people with very distinct features, who are always about, and may even live next door. Here is an example: http://www.evilontwolegs.com/uploads/wrongturn2/sister.jpg

So, it is surely a culturally and biologically diverse population, with those depicted in the link above living along side non-mutated people.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 PM

What in the....Really?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon906 View Post
non-mutated people.
What are non-mutated people? Enquiring minds need to know.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Such people do not maraud and do harm to others, and are engaged in life to achieve a level of self improvement, while contributing in one way or another to the greater good, overall speaking.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:48 AM

Urban Dictionary: binghamton: From Urban Dictionary:

" 1) The place that will make you glad to be anywhere but there for the rest of your natural life.

2) A city in Upstate New York whose only reason for existence is the State University situated there. This sad fact is not widely recognized by residents and causes a great deal of animosity toward the students whose money keeps the ****-hole from becoming a ghost town.

3) The Forsaken Lands.

I may have a debilitating brain disease, but at least I don't live in Binghamton." end of quote.

Compare Peekskill, NY Urban Dictionary:

"
Peekskill

Located in upper Westchester County, but in downstate New York state.
Anything below the Capital District (Albany, Schenectady, Rensslaer) is downstate. Maybe you should consult a county map of New York State sometime.

2. Peekskill is upstate. Think about it, where does Peekskill have more in common with, Yonkers or Newburgh? Hell, it's probably even closer to Newburgh!
I'm surprised someone from Hartsdale wouldn't agree with me that anything north of Tarrytown is upstate...

3. Peekskill

A city in Upstate New York.
Anything above or on the other side of the Tappan Zee Bridge = Upstate" end of quote from Urban Dictionary

Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binghamtonless View Post
Binghamton, NY has way too many incompetent residents, employers, and employees.
Come on, now. They're only following the lead of our wonderful elected representatives in Albany.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 PM

60 posts, read 75,620 times
Please be careful if you are looking for work in the binghamton area. If you rely on a quick scan of job boards, the result can be misleading. I am employed as a Jr. Software Developer. I have been one of the rare and lucky ones to find employment 50 miles from bing. (Ithaca area). If you are into programming then you better come armed with 5-10+ solid verifiable years of expericnce in: Java, C#, C++ .net, asp.net., PHP, SQL server/MYSQL triggers, stored procedures, photoshop, and a wide variety of web skills. Then you need to know a host of job specific systems and software. In other words you need to be a senior level guru who can hit the ground running hard. After that you can take a number and wait behind the unseen army of unemployed/underemployed technical people. I believe a lot of existing job openings are filled from within before they are posted. The binghamton area is a grey dank void for technical jobs. The employment base of hitech firms have left or atrophied. DO NOT fall for the bogus ads from ibm gbs. They have flooded the local boards with "spam" ads for many months. I have not run into anyone who had more than an interview and drawn out rejection. (your milage may vary)

The bright side is, companies in Ithaca NY are smaller, more agile and forward thinking. You have a better chance landing something up there. I have to commute 2.5+ hours a day but it is worth it. Ithaca is more expensive but you can find affordable places outside the College areas.

If you are looking for service type jobs....jiffy lube, denny's, kmart ect then you have come to the right place. They fatten up the employment stats and give this area the illusion of an 8.XX% unemployment figure.

The main point is: binghamton is no different from most places in the US now. Businesses are not hiring and a lot of people are waiting to snap up any jobs that show up. If you are a college grad then look north for work and try to take advantage of workforce NY on the job training program. That may give employers an incentive to bite on you. Worked for me. I do not see any change in the near future as this area has relied heavily on government military contracts and ibm. I do not know of any big employment grants or incentives that are in the works either. Sorry for the glum picture but that is MY personal take of the employment scene August 2011.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM

What about BAE, Endicott Interconnect or the college campuses? Same with the hospitals.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 AM

60 posts, read 75,620 times
BAe - worked for them. They are not doing much hiring at all. They will post a rare ad then hire from within.

EI - not much activity at all lately.

BCC - hiring freeze last I heard, BU was looking for a few IT people months ago. If you are a grad student or teacher who wants to live off of research grants then BU may be the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York