Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:44 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,467,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I'm DEFINITELY dreaming of Upstate NY right now....the forcast high for here in Raleigh is 103!!!! heat index in the 110s!!!!!!! God help us, only 8 more days till we're back in Rochester for good...and of course my last week in NC is one of the hottest ever.
just don't be shocked when you see that some leaves are already turning! On the otherhand, I think the next 2.5 months are the nicest up here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,568 times
Hello,
I was raised in Syracuse, NY. My family, some with children, still live there. Here are some nice places to live Dewitt, CLay, Cicero, Liverpool and there are many more. NY country is very pretty- Kirkville, Mexico etc.. It depends how close or far you want to be from the city.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 29,806 times
Wow, so many great posts! I do appreciate all the input....keep them coming, we can use all the help we can get. We are planning to try to make it out to the area soon, maybe October to make it through all the major cities - Albany, Syracuse and Rochester in just a couple days time, so that will be a challenge, but we need to get a feel for each area. So, definitely keep the posts coming in, they've been helpful.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 PM

9 posts, read 29,806 times
Wink Ogden area?

Hi all, I'm the one who started this 'thread' and I've been looking at some real estate online in the Rochester area of Ogden....anyone familiar?? It seems like there are so many reasonable homes there and according to Greatschools.net the schools in the area do have promise (every area has good schools and not-so-good schools, but many of theirs aren't too shabby). So, I'm wondering...is there anything I'm missing here. I mean, the prices seem very reasonable for the amount of sq footage/land, schools are pretty good and it's close to Rochester. I just want to know if there's something, because I can't tell from looking online....I mean it sounds too good to be true. Also, I should mention that we're coming from the Bay Area of Nothern California, which may be why things seems so reasonably priced to us....it's crazy here! Please help!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 AM

24,774 posts, read 28,475,656 times
East Varick!!!.............

Old 08-09-2007, 06:14 AM

525 posts, read 1,825,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocating23 View Post
Hi all, I'm the one who started this 'thread' and I've been looking at some real estate online in the Rochester area of Ogden....anyone familiar?? It seems like there are so many reasonable homes there and according to Greatschools.net the schools in the area do have promise (every area has good schools and not-so-good schools, but many of theirs aren't too shabby). So, I'm wondering...is there anything I'm missing here. I mean, the prices seem very reasonable for the amount of sq footage/land, schools are pretty good and it's close to Rochester. I just want to know if there's something, because I can't tell from looking online....I mean it sounds too good to be true. Also, I should mention that we're coming from the Bay Area of Nothern California, which may be why things seems so reasonably priced to us....it's crazy here! Please help!
Ogden is a very nice and reasonably priced area, mostly because the east side is deemed the posh and "white-collar" side of Rochester. Other than the self-fulfilling prophecy part of that argument, it is pretty much unfounded and leaves the west side a little less developed and a wonderful place to live. I myself am looking to move into the Chili/Riga area from the east side. As for Ogden, most of the town is in the Spencerport school district I believe, which is well regarded. Portions are probably in Hilton as well, which is a fine school district as well. You should be able to find a very nice home for a little over $160 and a beautiful home for under $250k.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,573,629 times
Yes, Ogden is a very nice place....it's still "country", while being part of suburban Rochester, so you are close enough to everything you will need. I'm not sure, but I think the property taxes are lower in Ogden than in most of the rest of Monroe County as well. It is true, that most people who you will talk to will make it seem like the "East side" is the far superior and more liveable side of the Rochester metro area...but that's just something that everyone over there has convinced themselves, as well as most of the media (it's always Pittsford or Perintion that get ranked as amazing places to live in national media) into believing. Nothing against the east side at all, it is very beaiutiful and yes, its more affluent; but that doesn't mean that everything from Greece to Brockport is an inferior place to live.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:23 AM

254 posts, read 1,141,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I'm a little confused by you averagenyjoe. You post and post about the sprawl in North Carolina and in CNY/WNY. Yet you are fine with suggesting places like Clinton Park, Halfmoon, etc. Southern Saratoga County is probably the most sprawled out place in all of Upstate NY.

As I've said, I understand why sprawl is exists and why people choose to live in suburban towns. I'm not against suburbs/sprawl. What I do have a problem with though is how inconstant you are about sprawl. Essentially you saying that sprawl is OK in your area.....the Capital District...., but elsewhere it's a major problem.

Please reflect on the mixed messages your sending here. Not to get this thread off topic, but I let your off topic posts on my photo threads of suburban Syracuse stand.
Ok, here goes my best shot. Many people write and try to prove to others why they need to judge a town based on what they want or what they think is ideal. I realize what I think is ideal is not what many others think or want. therefor, I try to respond to what I believe they are looking for. Example. while I would never ever live in NYC or its metro areas. I can think of so many nice things about the city. I actually LOVE NYC. Just wouldnt want to live there. And if I know a little something about an area, I would share those things that I am aware of.

The Capital area of NY is an area I am very familiar with. I love this area. Its like home to me. I have to be here for at least a short period. However, I am looking for something a good bit slower for myself. I do realize this area is considered a wonderful quality of life and as long as some dont mind sprawl or the "rush" life, than I feel like I can promote it. Just trying to match people to their requests. I do hate what NC has become. But this area is by no means the sprawl of the Charlotte or Triangle areas. However, if this area continues to explode than I will dislike it equally as much. Its going in that direction and that is why I want to get out. Sprawl is fine, just like NYC is fine but its not for me personally.

Your question is valid; hope that helps

Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 AM

9,315 posts, read 16,640,816 times
Default Saratoga County

Check into Schuylerville, Queensbury area. Excellent schools and people are friendly and helpful.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,475,656 times
Default Kennedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Ogden is a very nice and reasonably priced area, mostly because the east side is deemed the posh and "white-collar" side of Rochester. Other than the self-fulfilling prophecy part of that argument, it is pretty much unfounded and leaves the west side a little less developed and a wonderful place to live. I myself am looking to move into the Chili/Riga area from the east side. As for Ogden, most of the town is in the Spencerport school district I believe, which is well regarded. Portions are probably in Hilton as well, which is a fine school district as well. You should be able to find a very nice home for a little over $160 and a beautiful home for under $250k.
Also look at Kennedal...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York