Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 19,592 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in NYC, and we're looking to relocate upstate. We're hoping to keep our jobs down here, so we're looking at Orange County. We have two young children (4 months and 19 months), so we'd like a town that has young families and good public school districts.

We've always lived in an apartment, and the idea of maintaining a house and yard scares us, so we'd ideally like to buy a townhouse. There seem to be some nice ones in Monroe, but we haven't actually gone there yet; we've just done some research online. Can anyone recommend a complex?

Also, are there other towns we should consider? We want somewhere with a good sense of community, lots of young families, and of course we want somewhere SAFE! Oh, we'd like to be in close proximity to shopping and we'd love an area that has organic food stores. I've heard that some parts of upstate NY don't have a lot of organic options. I'm not sure if that's true, but we don't want to have to drive an hour to a grocery store!!

Oh, we also need to consider daycare options in case both of us remain at work! If anyone has any input on that, I'd gladly take it!

Please help us narrow our search! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin1979 View Post
My husband and I currently live in NYC, and we're looking to relocate upstate. We're hoping to keep our jobs down here, so we're looking at Orange County. We have two young children (4 months and 19 months), so we'd like a town that has young families and good public school districts.

We've always lived in an apartment, and the idea of maintaining a house and yard scares us, so we'd ideally like to buy a townhouse. There seem to be some nice ones in Monroe, but we haven't actually gone there yet; we've just done some research online. Can anyone recommend a complex?

Also, are there other towns we should consider? We want somewhere with a good sense of community, lots of young families, and of course we want somewhere SAFE! Oh, we'd like to be in close proximity to shopping and we'd love an area that has organic food stores. I've heard that some parts of upstate NY don't have a lot of organic options. I'm not sure if that's true, but we don't want to have to drive an hour to a grocery store!!

Oh, we also need to consider daycare options in case both of us remain at work! If anyone has any input on that, I'd gladly take it!

Please help us narrow our search! Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about that. Orange county is still downstate. I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM

That's true! I know that even in Ulster County (where I was raised), they have a lot of organic options now!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin1979 View Post
That's true! I know that even in Ulster County (where I was raised), they have a lot of organic options now!
And Ulster county is on the borders of upstate/downstate. So if that's the case, I'm certain that you can find organic food stores in Orange.

Even if you plunged the depths of upstate (I was raised in Schuyler and Chemung counties), you could find Mennonite run stores that offer organic produce.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
Hello Kristin,

As a 17 year resident of Orange County, I am happy to provide you some input regarding your potential move.

First and foremost it is necessary to address the NYC commute issue. This is a one hour commute at an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM; even from Tuxedo Park, the southernmost locale within Orange. You should eliminate any locations West of Middletown from your search immediately if you want to have a semi-reasonable commute. I will provide you with a map to suggest where you should begin your search based on the commute aspect. Focus on the area enclosed in black and stay away from the area crossed by red.

You mentioned Monroe...Monroe has many upscale options and has a high concentration of wealth compared to other areas of the county. Can't give you specifics on a complex, but there are quite a few to chose from. The Monroe-Woodbury School District is the wealthiest in the county and the facilities certainly reflect this. Don't think you could go wrong with this district. Monroe / Woodbury is safe, and likely home to many young families like yours - it is in [some] ways a bedroom community (as in: many folks work in Midtown, do the drive back, go to sleep, REPEAT). Tons of shopping on 32 with Woodbury Commons and lots of other big box stores. I am not familiar with this part of the county in terms of organic food / health food stores. I know there isn't anything that big, though. Your best bet is likely the Whole Foods / Trader Joes in Paramus NJ for organic food ({~30 miles} down 87 -> 17).

As for the commute from Monroe, there are options. You can take 87 down to the Jersey border and hop on 17 and cross back into NY, or you can stay on 87 the whole way. Alternatively, you can take the train. It is an hour ride to Secaucus NJ and then a 15 minute ride on a separate train to New York Penn Station. The commute, whether you drive or take the train, will take you somewhere between 1 and 1.5 hours on most days.

As for other locations within the county that are worth looking in to based on your description:
Warwick, Tuxedo Park, Florida, Washingtonville, Chester, Goshen, Town of Wallkill, Montgomery (where I live! - safest place ever), and Cornwall. Absolutely avoid the cities of Middletown and Newburgh - the schools are ones to avoid, for sure (especially Newburgh). Also avoid New Windsor, as New Windsor students are fed into NFA (Newburgh Free Academy).

As for the best organic / health food options within the county: The best that Orange County has to offer is Nature's Pantry on RT 17K in the Town of Newburgh. Across the river in Poughkeepsie there is Mother Earth's, which is about on the same level. I go to Whole Foods / Trader Joes in Paramus NJ fairly regularly for the good stuff...

My father commutes from Montgomery to Manhattan daily. His tour starts at 6 AM and he gets up at 3:15 AM in order to catch a 4:25 AM train from Beacon, NY. 1.5 hour commute.

The nice thing about Orange is that you have the opportunity to enjoy NYC whenever you would like...AND you are in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains...I've enjoyed my time here...

If you have any other questions please ask. I can give you specifics on pretty much anything! Best of luck!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Thank you soooo very much for that comprehensive answer! I have been doing some research and Monroe seems to be the best bet for our family. Incidentally though, I did find a townhouse that I liked in Fort Montgomery. Is that the same as Montgomery, where you live? That's an area that I hadn't given any thought to, but I certainly will.

Do you mind if I contact you if I have any other specific questions? Again, I appreciate your response and the time you took to write it!

I think we're going to take a little road trip up to Orange County tomorrow to scout out the area!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 PM

And yes, I've been warned about Middletown and Newburgh, but I had no idea that New Windsor students go to Newburgh schools! Thanks for the heads up! Good public schools are of extreme importance to us

Old 06-17-2011, 10:56 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
Yes you can absolutely contact me through this thread or through message if you have any questions. Fort Montgomery is not the same as Montgomery. Fort Montgomery is just north of the Bear Mountain Bridge and south of West Point and located within the Town of Highlands (incl. Highland Falls). Schools are good here - Fort Montgomery has an elementary school and Highland Falls has a middle/high school.

The Montgomery in which I live is just west of Newburgh and east of Middletown.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 PM

17 posts, read 60,647 times
Check out Harriman area too. Will get to to any shopping you want via 17, and close to thruway and pallisades which will get you to NYC in about a hours time.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM

16 posts, read 18,569 times
I'm thinking of moving to the Monroe-Woodbury area. Can any current residents provide me some more up-to-date insight, pretty please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York