Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you welcome new developments (jobs, housing, more residents) to the Upstate NY Region?
Yes, I believe that the Upstate NY region has the potential for new development. 37 71.15%
No, I do not believe the Upstate NY region has the potential for new development because the region is dead or dying. 15 28.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:56 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
upstate has nothing? I've seen your trolling in the Syracuse form and your posts are way off. There are places like the Niagara Falls, wine country, finger lakes, Watkins Glen, mid sized cities such as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany all have interesting historical aspects and good amenities for cities of their size. Some of the metro areas have seen gains in the most recent census even, they are far from abandoned.
Am I letting out a secret that Upstate's major cities have been abandoned??

Downtown Utica is in rough shape. Downtown Syracuse is a Scooby-Doo ghost town. Overall population in Syracuse has 51 years in a row of decline. These I have seen, Buffalo and Rochester I have heard are also abandoned but have not seen for myself. Would you have me tell them the waters fine, jump in??

Cows everywhere?? Maybe this will help:

[quote]The top five dairy states produced just 37 percent of the nation's milk in 1951. Today, six states -- California, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Idaho -- produce nearly 60 percent of the nation's milk.[quote]

All those other things you mentioned are very sweet and cute but people coming from the city (you remember the OP right) will not have a way to get to them. We need to get people up here before we start worrying about spur lines to Watkins Glen.

And those other things have been there all along. Millions of years in some cases. If they were gonna jump start a mass migration Upstate wouldn't they have already done so??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:02 PM

93,341 posts, read 123,972,828 times
[quote=Sean®;19810878]Am I letting out a secret that Upstate's major cities have been abandoned??

Downtown Utica is in rough shape. Downtown Syracuse is a Scooby-Doo ghost town. Overall population in Syracuse has 51 years in a row of decline. These I have seen, Buffalo and Rochester I have heard are also abandoned but have not seen for myself. Would you have me tell them the waters fine, jump in??

[quote]The top five dairy states produced just 37 percent of the nation's milk in 1951. Today, six states -- California, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Idaho -- produce nearly 60 percent of the nation's milk.
Quote:

All those other things you mentioned are very sweet and cute but people coming from the city (you remember the OP right) will not have a way to get to them. We need to get people up here before we start worrying about spur lines to Watkins Glen.

And those other things have been there all along. Millions of years in some cases. If they were gonna jump start a mass migration Upstate wouldn't they have already done so??
You keep forgetting about the aspect of suburbanization, which is where most of those people leaving those cities went. So, they went from Syracuse to Clay, Rochester to Greece, Buffalo to Amherst, Utica to New Hartford and so on. All of those Downtown areas aren't necessarily ghost towns, but have room for improvement and investment, for sure.

I also believe that Upstate's economy would be on par with NC, if I'm not mistaken and would be around 12th in population. That's for a state not at it's full potential. Think about that and it still has enough to offer people.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I left Western NY State about 33 years ago and go back to visit relatives once in a while. It is very sad because alot of the area is very beautiful. Here's my take...#1 taxes, there were alot of great companies in Rochester that left because they were offered "something", take Xerox for example left Rochester for Connecticut (not a cheap place to live or to pay workers??? but it had status). #2 - people there don't want growth. I am totally convinced of this and nothing has proved me wrong. Why haven't developers come in to the Finger Lakes Region and built high priced homes and condominium developments...that attracts people with wealth and people with wealth create wealth for others. But, I've heard over and over again, we don't want that "here". Well, Buffalo is now half the size it was a dozen years ago. People need to wake up and realize change is absolutely necessary to survive economically. Getting your groceries at Wegmans ain't gonna do it.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
[quote=Sean®;19810878]Am I letting out a secret that Upstate's major cities have been abandoned??

[quote]The top five dairy states produced just 37 percent of the nation's milk in 1951. Today, six states -- California, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Idaho -- produce nearly 60 percent of the nation's milk.
Quote:

So now you are bashing cities you've never been to? wow. Rochester has been adding condos in it's downtown area for the last few years with the downtown population rising. Buffalo has seen development in it's downtown also. All cities have rough areas and all cities have good areas. You also forget that city limits are small, and many people have just moved to the closer suburbs(which would be considered part of the city limits in many other places around the country). There is still plenty of activity in the cities.

And your point about the Dairy production? We produce a lot of dairy....That does not mean we have cows everywhere. I'm convinced you've never traveled around the state. Some areas have woods, some have cows, some have mountains, some have lakes, some have cities... There is a large variety.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:37 PM

There are relatively few areas of NY I have not been to.

This state is in rough shape. And not just the last few years either.

I used to spend 2 weeks on Black Lake every Summer. In a cabin but near a small town the name of which escapes me. Two Summers ago my Father and I went up to scout out a possible reunion up there. Keep in my Father had been there almost every Summer since the 40's and me until 1980ish. Holy crap its like somebody dropped a bomb on that area. We high tailed it out of there and had the reunion down South. I'll never go back up there.

And its like that everywhere up here. Everything is run down. Not just old, run down. There is a difference.

Part of that is a gallon of paint costs the same in NY as anywhere else but the value of the house doesn't go up here.

The region needs a MASSIVE amount of outside money.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:45 PM

Perhaps this graphic may help you see how one could get the idea Buffalo is being de-populated.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 PM

And Rochester.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
There are relatively few areas of NY I have not been to.

This state is in rough shape. And not just the last few years either.

I used to spend 2 weeks on Black Lake every Summer. In a cabin but near a small town the name of which escapes me. Two Summers ago my Father and I went up to scout out a possible reunion up there. Keep in my Father had been there almost every Summer since the 40's and me until 1980ish. Holy crap its like somebody dropped a bomb on that area. We high tailed it out of there and had the reunion down South. I'll never go back up there.

And its like that everywhere up here. Everything is run down. Not just old, run down. There is a difference.

Part of that is a gallon of paint costs the same in NY as anywhere else but the value of the house doesn't go up here.

The region needs a MASSIVE amount of outside money.

So because a small town that you don't even know the name of is in rough shape means that the entire state is in rough shape??? You're not doing much for your argument.
And you are dead wrong about value of homes not going up. My house has increased in value since I bought it. The value in several metro areas upstate has increased over the past few years.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
And Rochester.
and like I said before, people escape to the suburbs next to the city. They aren't fleeing the area in places like Rochester.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Ok you win. Because your so awesome I'm gonna put you on ignore so I will always remember you that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York