Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 17,612 times

Advertisements

Wife and i are retiring and looking to buy on one of these lakes , being a boater waterfront is important any info would be appreciated and how are the winter months, shopping, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
Ahoy, CMDR.
Here's a great real estate search that includes the lakes you are looking at.

Greater Rochester New York Area Homes for Sale direct from MLS

The weather won't be too bad. There are 110 wineries around the lakes for the mild weather. Seneca Lake is so deep that it never freezes. I remember being at an ex's parents house on Seneca Lake on New Years Day once. It was snowing and blowing, and someone was out sailing. It was cool-I'm a sailor too.

For shopping there's the Waterloo Outlet Mall. Auburn has a mall, or there's Destiny in Syracuse or Eastview Mall in Victor. And, of course in the towns along routes 5&20 .

You may want to post on the Rochester page also.Tons of Rochesterians have homes and cottages there.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
This guide may help too: Upstate New York Real Estate

It shows real estate for much of Upstate NY. Ithaca also has a mall and shopping Downtown at the Commons. Places like Penn Yan, Watkins Glen and a few other quaint communities in that area away from Routes 5 and 20 have some shopping too.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,792 times
This isn't major shopping, but it can make for a fun Saturday in the Finger Lakes region:

The Windmill Farm & Craft Market

Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,229 times
Default Buying waterfront property in the Finger Lakes

CMDR BOB, Good choice. My wife and I moved to the western shore of Seneca Lake in 2008 and we love it! I recommend avoiding the eastern shore and focusing on the western shore. On the eastern shore the afternoon summer sun can be brutal and the winter weather is harsher. You can reduce the effects of the sun with good shade trees, but they then block your view. On the western shore you get pretty sunrises instead of sunsets, and the afternoons are much nicer. On nice summer evenings, we boat across the lake to watch the sunset, so we still get to enjoy those as well. The north side of a point near the north end or the south side of a point near the south end will give you maximum protection from the winds. Consider Clarks Point, Reeds Point, Dresden Cove, Perry Point, Long Point, Glenora Point, Willis Point, etc. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
I just moved to Geneva. While I'm not on the lake, I'm a few blocks away. I don't have to pay higher taxes for the view and can enjoy the lake all I want.

There isn't a ton of shopping close to the lakes except for small towns and local businesses. There are some chain stores and restaurants, but not a ton. Local flair is pretty big here. Honestly, I'd rather get a pizza from a local place that makes fresh dough and uses fresh ingredients instead of the chains with their frozen garbage.

Lots of farm stands here as well. And if you happen to like wine, beer, mead, or cider, then this is the place to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York