Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 06:10 AM

217 posts, read 512,024 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to St Lawrence County from Long Island. Which school are the best in this county. I can not find a site that shares their regents and state test scores. Which town has the closest proximity to great hospitals and stores etc. The area is very rural. I havent found a area that has many advantages over another.
If you the area in this county, can you suggest your top town or two and why. We would appreciate all comments and advice.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:28 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Oh, gosh. That's a hard one. I'm a native of St. Lawrence County; lived there for 45 years.

You hit the nail right on the head - it is VERY rural.

IMO, the places with the most to offer would be the two college communities - Canton (St. Lawrence University and Canton SUNY) and Potsdam (Potsdam State and Clarkson). Lots of programs, classes, etc. going on over there. Consequently, you'll find more boutique type shops and restaurants that cater to the college crowd.

Ogdensburg is my home town and, to be honest, it's gone downhill very badly over the last 20-25 years. It, along with Massena, is a mainly blue collar town - light to heavy industry, correctional facilities, etc. A number of industries have closed, which is sad, so the employment outlook hasn't been good. I don't know what they're trying to do to improve that, since I've been away 12 years now. I do go back to visit family on an annual basis, but it's not long enough to see what's happening there. There's a fairly nice but very small mall in Massena which has Penneys, Sears for anchor stores. I hear it's lost a lot of stores, tho. Oh, and there's a BJ's right next to the mall.

As far as schools, I'm hearing that the Ogd. school district is on the decline and, like most of the country, has its drug issues. Heuvelton area, again from what I hear, is a better bet - smaller, better teacher/student ratio, fewer problems. It also has an Amish community that is fairly active selling hand made products (furniture, quilts, baked goods) and produce. It's a daily occurrence to see a buggy plodding alongside the road.

As far as "great" hospitals, I hesitate to recommend one over another, altho Hepburn/Claxton in Ogdensburg has really come up in the last 15 years or so. They now have a dialysis center and a cancer treatment center on their campus. For really major things, tho, a lot of folks travel to Syracuse, which is about 2-1/2 hours from Ogd.

Gosh, I wish I could help more. Park Newspapers (now owned by Johnson Communications - Watertown Daily Times) may be of interest to you. There's the Ogdensburg Journal, Canton Plaindealer, Potsdam/Massena Courier-Observer. The regional Sunday paper, the Advance News, may be most helpful as that one pretty much summarizes what goes on in the County throughout the week.

Ogdensburg and Massena are also right on the St. Lawrence River, which is a gorgeous area. Check out the Thousand Islands area. Quite beautiful. Potsdam is a bit closer to the Adirondack area, which is also gorgeous.

The real great thing about SLC is that you're never very far from anything. Ottawa, Canada's capitol, is about 1 hour north of Ogdensburg; Montreal and Syracuse are about 2.5 hours away. So if you crave some city life, it's not that far. Oh, and Watertown has some better shopping, and that's a little over an hour away.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Personally, look into Potsdam, Canton and maybe Gouverneur. Here's websites with school information: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Saint%20Lawrence (broken link)

I believe that Heuvelton and Norwood-Norfolk are good small districts.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Good info. I'd totally forgotten about Gouverneur being in St. Lawrence County and N-N was never a biggy when I was in school, I didn't mention it. Things do change, don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York