Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:29 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Some of the SUNYs have a tier system with AP grades -- certain exams a score of 3 or better will exempt a student from taking a mandatory writing course (3 credits saved) Math score of 3 or better will exempt a student from taking the math placement exam and give them eligibility to bypass a lower level math course. Science may/may not place a student on an honors track.

If the student spends $85? (thinking back a few years now) for the AP and is exempted from one 3 credit SUNY course, the savings is considerable. One 1 credit course this summer (with fees) was almost $349 at Stony Brook.
I fully agree anything you can test out of is great. UVM wanted 4 or better to count the AP, each one is different.

It's also good to do some CC courses and transfer them if possible. Our CC now has a specific 2 year degree program that is 100% transferable to our 4+ year schools with a GPA above a certain benchmark. Costs less than 1/2 of doing it at the larger schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,649 times
woah :O that's a lot..... I know the AP is beneficial I just don't know how many i'll actually end up doing.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
woah :O that's a lot..... I know the AP is beneficial I just don't know how many i'll actually end up doing.
Just do what works right for you. There is no crime if you start college with no AP, Duel Enrollment, or other transferable credits...

One of the best lines I heard was during a tour of the Univerity of Virginia the person speaking to us prospective students & parents said

" If an internationally recognized research university is not what you want then don't go here because you will never have the full advantage of what this school can offer" He went on further to say "Find whats right for you and it will make your college experience."

Find whats right for you, program, location, cost..you can always transfer after a year if need be. ....

Old 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Yeah I could.... I guess I was just worried, that I wouldn't look as good to a school if i didn't.

On another thought what do guys think of double major? I was think education and pyschology with a minor in sociology?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah I could.... I guess I was just worried, that I wouldn't look as good to a school if i didn't.

On another thought what do guys think of double major? I was think education and pyschology with a minor in sociology?
What career are you considering?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Nothing special, teaching at the elementary level and maybe some time in the future as a guidance counselor?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM

205 posts, read 389,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Just do what works right for you. There is no crime if you start college with no AP, Duel Enrollment, or other transferable credits...

One of the best lines I heard was during a tour of the Univerity of Virginia the person speaking to us prospective students & parents said

" If an internationally recognized research university is not what you want then don't go here because you will never have the full advantage of what this school can offer" He went on further to say "Find whats right for you and it will make your college experience."

Find whats right for you, program, location, cost..you can always transfer after a year if need be. ....
Are there dual enrollment options between the high schools and the SUNY schools up there? If so that's pretty cool. We have it down here and I highly recommend doing it. Talk about getting ahead in school!!! Some kids had their AA's completed by the time they received their high school diplomas!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Nothing special, teaching at the elementary level and maybe some time in the future as a guidance counselor?
Your considering a career that is going to be very challenging to find employment in especially if you have your heart set on remaining in a certain region.

If you want to double major then have a 2nd major that gives you marketable skills, college is too big an investment not to be able to get some financial return for it.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclipsedheart View Post
Are there dual enrollment options between the high schools and the SUNY schools up there? If so that's pretty cool. We have it down here and I highly recommend doing it. Talk about getting ahead in school!!! Some kids had their AA's completed by the time they received their high school diplomas!
Honestly I don't know if there are but I already am doing a lot I don't want to put too much pressure on myself.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:26 PM

205 posts, read 389,310 times
Quote:
Honestly I don't know if there are but I already am doing a lot I don't want to put too much pressure on myself.
I would say do duel enrollment over AP classes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York