Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,357 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving from pasadena california to upstate new york. my husband's family lives in west leyden new york. thinking of moving to ithaca new york. we have a 13 year old son. will this work???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 AM

92,571 posts, read 122,822,263 times
Why not? Does anyone have a job lined up and if not, what can you do for work? What about Utica-Rome area communities like New Hartford or Clinton as possibilities?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 AM

Here's some information on those two communities: Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide

Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

NHhomepage

Village Of New Hartford: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

Both have good schools and shopping close by or in the case of New Hartford, in the town. They are closer to his hometown and there are events and cultural offerings in Utica and Rome. There things for kids to do close by as well.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Default moving to ithaca from pasadena california

Wow, thanks!! Really helpful information.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 PM

59 posts, read 177,784 times
We are trying to move from Shadow Hills to New York also...Warwick or Westchester county to be exact. Having a horrible time selling our house out here in Los Angeles,. I am in Pasadena all the time at Pasadena Dance Theatre.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 PM

715 posts, read 2,502,997 times
Are you going to be working in NYC, Nbrake? Budget?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,607 times
Default new york state is too expensive !!

do you like winter ?? taxes are very high !! i like here but i don't think i will able to stay for long !! is just to expensive !!
i hope you find a lot info first !!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jucemaz120 View Post
do you like winter ?? taxes are very high !! i like here but i don't think i will able to stay for long !! is just to expensive !!
i hope you find a lot info first !!
Upstate is different than Downstate in terms of cost of living though.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Enjoyed reading the follow-up posts re moving from Pasadena to Upstate New York. Looking forward to the seasons - wondering how the west coast versus east coast springs will be.

Found an article in the 1997 Utne Reader by an Ithaca inhabitant who mentioned the "Cascadilla Creek" north versus south issue. Is anyone able to elaborate on that at all?

Also, doing on-line property searches is interesting. Large homes on large lots at very good prices in places like Nelson NY - and there is a beautiful property on 915 Coddington Road with 56 acres (a former flower family run property) for a reasonable price. We realize there is no substitute for actually going to see the properties - which we will - but just curious about this phenomenon (maybe it's just the economy - stupid me!)?!

Not sure where the Pasadena Dance Theater is - but it sounds nice. We enjoy Old Town Pasadena (our son likes the Apple store, which is being remodeled now).

Enjoyed "meeting" all of you!!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:20 PM

59 posts, read 177,784 times
I'm an RN and my husband owns a computer consulting firm that he plans to restart out there. We don't plan on commuting to Manhattan for work. We ideally hope we can find work throughout Westchester or Orange County depending on where we settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York