Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,158 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Yet another question about the Hudson Valley. I'm relocating to Poughkeepsie for a job. I've only visited the area once briefly for the job interview, and now I'm looking for a place to live. I've read up about the area but I really can't tell what I'd be interested in since most reviews talk about things I'm not looking for (e.g. good school districts).

What I'm looking for:
I'm 30 with no kids or pets. Not looking to gain either.
Looking to rent either an apartment or small cottage/bungalow (2 beds, max) with character.
I like art galleries, used bookstores, good cocktail bars, nice restaurants, and farmer's markets. I don't mind going out for a drink or two in the evenings, but my clubbing days are over. However I still want to meet cool young-ish professionals.
Easy access to NYC, when life gets a bit too quiet.
I'm willing to commute up to 30-40 minutes to Poughkeepsie.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,971 times
you can look into New Windsor. You can also look into newburgh ( people are going to give me heat about this one) The city of newburgh in most places is bad, however if you rent a condo (idk $$) down by the waterfront you get the benefit of beautiful restaurants, the library, outdoor free summer concert etc. However the surrounding area isn't the greatest you go up a few blocks, and it turns into a place you would avoid at night. But the places you would generally be around by the waterfront is safe a gorgeous. its about 30 min to poughkeepsie...

Newburgh, new windsor, cornwall , washingtonville ( other then newburgh these places aren't exactly bar/ restaurant places...)

Cornwall is like a mini city by main street you may like it there, it's like an old school town but a lot of old people.

each place is about an hour to the city.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 PM

93,201 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Maybe Beacon, Rhinebeck or Red Hook.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,673 times
I would definitely stay East-of-Hudson and search within Dutchess County and maybe Putnam, if it fits your budget. The reason for this is because you would have to #1 pay a toll to cross a bridge daily if you lived in Orange or Ulster and #2 it can be especially treacherous in the winter. CHK started with some good options and I'll build on them, moving from North to South. Rhinebeck honestly sounds like a near perfect fit for you and matches your description very well. Its about a 20-25 minute drive from Poughkeepsie. You can take Metro North Railroad from Poughkeepsie into NYC @ 1 hour and 50 minutes. Poughkeepsie is also a fine option, so long as you don't live within the city. Look in to Arlington and the areas around Vassar College. With Marist and Vassar Colleges, there isn't a shortage of young people looking to have fun and Poughkeepsie has some waterfront options. Train station and your job is here. Look in to Wappingers Falls, Fishkill, and Beacon, with Beacon fitting your description best (maybe Dia:Beacon will be of interest to you). Metro North's New Hamburg station serves Wappingers Falls with train access into NYC and the Beacon MNRR Station serves Beacon and Fishkill. Now, if you can afford it, Cold Spring would be a really nice spot to be. Its in Putnam County, the county south of Dutchess, and is more upscale than the locations previously named. Cold Spring has an active main street and a variety of nice restaurants and bars, as well as a train station with easy NYC access. Commute would be 30-40 minutes.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM

38 posts, read 81,860 times
Rhinebeck.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:58 PM

21 posts, read 62,306 times
New Paltz, Rosendale, Rhinebeck, Kingston, Beacon, Hudson

Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 PM

45 posts, read 72,286 times
Default Commuting to Poughkeepsie

My suggestion would be New Paltz, except for commute across the bridge, as previously mentioned. You ought to consider New Paltz if the bridge doesn't bother you, because NP always has interesting places to explore, like the rail trail, the galleries and cafes at the Water Street Market, all the sidestreets in town. Tons of reasonably-priced restaurants. There's the Unison Arts Center for workshops. If you like hiking, Mohonk and Minnewaska are absolutely beautiful places and so close by. There are local farms. There's swimming in Lake Minnewaksa. Brunch on Sundays at Mohonk if you can afford it. However, as far as the demographics, there is a preponderance of college kids in NP since after all it is a college town, therefore the nightlife and street scene in the evenings may not be entirely to your liking. Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't like the commute to Pok due to the bridge so I'd probably not live there, and I'd just go to NP on weekends, because there is so much to do (and most college kids go home in the summer). Yes there are tourists checking out the tie-dye shops, but lots of local folks are wandering around, too, just doing their errands and being friendly. There are local happenings with people of all ages. People who live there are welcoming. It's an unpretentious, wholesome, artsy, granola-loving, outdoorsy place.

Rhinebeck is quite nice, and extremely charming with tremendous ambience and so much to offer. There's the indie movie theatre, and lots of galleries, and many excellent restaurants (with the Culinary Institute of America nearby, there are graduates who settled down here and the cuisine scene abounds), and the evening life is much calmer and more sedate than New Paltz. There is the Omega Institute just outside the village, with lots of workshops. Lots of tourists. Regarding the local folks, I think they are more friendly with each other but not so much with strangers; which is based on my own experiences as well as a friend, who is a 30-something who lived there for 2 years while attending CIA. The downtown has many cute shops and some street cafes. You might want to enjoy some gelato outdoors or sip a latte in a sidewalk cafe, or sit on bench on the sidewalk outside one of of those pricey shops and just do some people-watching and form your own opinions. You'll probably see some young parents in their 30s with kids, too, and a lot of cool people in general, besides the tourists. I think the locals were accustomed to outsiders, transients and/or tourists, and mostly just keep conversations superficial. I love Rhinebeck, personally. It's clean, safe, and lovely. But if I were in my thirties, I think I'd find it to be a nice place to visit, but not necessarily to live there.

Hudson is absolutely awesome. Tons of charm. Many restaurants. Beautifully kept homes. Everything looks so clean, apparently safe, and seems to attract some very cool, artists, hipsters, creative types. Most of the locals seem exceptionally friendly. It's the "downtown" of the Hudson Valley. I love Hudson. There's an Amtrak station, and quite a few weekenders from the city, who come up by train. Some people who like a lot of activity would likely find Hudson boring. It seems pretty sedate to me. (Note: if you want to explore beyond the downtown area, there is some beautiful scenery going out to Ghent, and a wonderful place called Hawthorne Valley Farm where you can buy some freshly made yogurt, cheese, breads. But it's way too quiet for a 30-something to want to live there.) Not sure how far Hudson is from Poughkeepsie though; you'd need to check that out. I would think it's too far from Poughkeepsie to be practical to live there. Also you might find it boring, as I really don't know about the nightlife there.

Regarding the idea of living in Poughkeepsie, Arlington is the best area based on your criteria, however, I simply do not like the idea of living in Poughkeepsie. I am also not fond of Hyde Park. While they have a few cultural events and landmarks, and a few colleges around there, I find those two cities/towns to be impersonal, with areas to be avoided due to higher crime rates. I don't find either to be charming in terms of a place to live.

I think you might find the village of Fishkill, and/or Beacon and Cold Spring to be your best choices, and they are all on the same side of the river so no bridge is involved. I don't love all the Toll Brothers-type condos along Route 84 in the Town Fishkill, and since you mentioned a bungalow, I would focus on the village of Fishkill, which is far more charming than the other part of Fishkill.

I suggest that you check out the rentals in the village of Fishkill, and Beacon and Cold Spring. You learn a lot about lifestyles when you spend your time looking for a home. I'd focus on those places first, and then plan on visiting the others for weekend activities, to explore. That is just my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York