Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:30 AM

469 posts, read 1,639,873 times

Advertisements

What is the commute from Paramus to Poughkeepsie like if I were to leave Bergen County close to 12 or 12:30 PM and come back around 7:30 o 8:00 PM?

What major highways would I take? Are the environments I drive through (off the major highways) rural, suburban, or urban? How is Poughkeepsie in general? I hear the street I MAY be working on is very commercial (Main Ave or Main Street) and is where a lot of major businesses are located. Is Poughkeepsie a big city, is it safe, etc. etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:42 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
Shouldn't be THAT bad, although a bit long....it will go like this: 17 North (Urban) (10 miles) -> 87 North (Rural) (30 miles to Newburgh) -> 84 (Urban -> Rural, $1 Newburgh-Beacon Bridge Toll) East to Route 9 Exit (10 miles) -> Route 9 (Urban) North (10 miles) = 60 miles...pretty simple

You shouldn't have any problems with traffic during the early after noon, but you may run into some traffic, especially on 9 and 17, during the evening. Poughkeepsie is relatively safe during the daytime but I wouldn't suggest hanging around too long at night. And yes, its a medium size city - urban atmosphere.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,034 times
Default NYS Thruway

I think the Thruway would be a better drive. If you go the way the previous poster mentioned, you will be in stop and go traffic all the way up Rt.9. It has been a long time since I lived there, if they have not added any exits off the Thruway between Newburgh and New Paltz, then you will have to take some 2 lane highways once you exit the thruway. I just mapquested it and it is a long drive. I currently drive 50 miles each way to work and after three years, I would give it up if I could. Two hours a day in the car is not cool. Your drive would be even longer. Just something to consider.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Go with what aphorista said - that is a better route now that I think about it, definitely faster avoiding 9. Thruway toll will be a bit higher but not much. So...

17 (10 miles to NY border) -> 87 (50 miles to New Paltz) -> Right onto 299 / Main Street in New Paltz (5 miles to 9W South / Mid-Hudson Bridge) -> Cross Mid-Hudson Bridge ($1 toll)

Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Thank you guys! I appreciate your help, that route is not too bad. Plus, the times I go/leave are off-peak hours for rush hour. Plus, it's going north (rural) instead of going south or east (urban). Poughkeepsie is apparently 30k in population, which is actually the size of some towns in New Jersey. My only concern is driving through unfamiliar urban areas - Poughkeepsie really that dangerous (especailly on/around the Main avenue with all of the corporate/commercial buildings?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Thank you guys! I appreciate your help, that route is not too bad. Plus, the times I go/leave are off-peak hours for rush hour. Plus, it's going north (rural) instead of going south or east (urban). Poughkeepsie is apparently 30k in population, which is actually the size of some towns in New Jersey. My only concern is driving through unfamiliar urban areas - Poughkeepsie really that dangerous (especailly on/around the Main avenue with all of the corporate/commercial buildings?
You'll be there mainly during the day, so there isn't much to worry about...as a general rule, be especially wary (or try to avoid) these streets: Smith St., N. Hamilton, N. Clinton, N. Clover, N. Perry, and N. Bridge St.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 PM

Ok! They are not near where I am going to be working, correct? I might be working on Main Street which is where, I believe, is where the major business district is. How far is it off of the Mid-Hudson Bridge?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 AM

Several of them are cross streets to main, but as long as you don't venture off of main and head north, you will be fine. Main Street is a very short distance after you cross the bridge.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
What is the commute from Paramus to Poughkeepsie like if I were to leave Bergen County close to 12 or 12:30 PM and come back around 7:30 o 8:00 PM?

What major highways would I take? Are the environments I drive through (off the major highways) rural, suburban, or urban? How is Poughkeepsie in general? I hear the street I MAY be working on is very commercial (Main Ave or Main Street) and is where a lot of major businesses are located. Is Poughkeepsie a big city, is it safe, etc. etc.?
click here http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...ough-nwbrg.pdf

Shortline has direct bus service to poughkeepsie from NJ via ridgewood park and ride at rte 17. All you need to do is get it at rte 17 bus stops and the bus will take you to poughkeepsie. the 10:28 am run the bus will say x32n rinnecliff or culinary arts institute. No transfers required since rte 17 is in paramus you might be able to walk to this bus!!!!!!!!

Last edited by qjbusmaster; 09-09-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 AM

Thank you so much for this information, I really appreciate. I have wanted to work in this town for quite some time, fingers are crossed! I love you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York