Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM

270 posts, read 732,774 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We finally closed on our new home! YAY!

We also just bought a Craftsman 26hp ride on mower to take care of the grass. We went with that model because my husband told me it would be perfect to attach a plow attachment.

Now he's telling me that you can't actually put a plow attachment, you'd have to put a snow thrower attachment (which cost hundreds more).

Any thoughts on this? He says the mower wouldn't be strong enough to push the snow. We don't have a super long driveway, but it's long enough to be a pain to shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
If you get heavy wet snow, it won't push it. Rather than break the machine, I would hire a plow guy. We put our riding mower away this time each year, used to take out the blower -- and sometimes that didn't cut it with really heavy snow. We got a plow guy. I shovcel the front steps and path; he plows the drive. Fine with me.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
If you get heavy wet snow, it won't push it. Rather than break the machine, I would hire a plow guy. We put our riding mower away this time each year, used to take out the blower -- and sometimes that didn't cut it with really heavy snow. We got a plow guy. I shovcel the front steps and path; he plows the drive. Fine with me.
You don't think a 26HP mower can push wet snow? I suppose maybe if you tried to put a 6' blade on there it wouldn't.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Well, we actually already have a plow truck. But, it's older and diesel and now that we live over an hour from his job, we're just thinking of the future when we replace the truck. Perhaps we won't need to replace it with another plow truck.

My husband spoke to the guy at Snow and Mow (HAH!) and he said that as long as we didn't let the snow get deeper than the height of the blade, it would be fine.

The big deal is that a plow blade attachment is about $300...the snow thrower attachment is about $1500. Um...yeah...I'd rather go with the $300!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You don't think a 26HP mower can push wet snow? I suppose maybe if you tried to put a 6' blade on there it wouldn't.
You miss the point. OP said the model isn't actually made for a blade, it is made for a blower. Sounds like they were sold the wrong tractor. My nieghbor has an AWD made to plow. He is a car/engine guy and he knows what he buys. He still has to get out his old blower sometimes for different kinds of snow. He also never uses his lawn tractor and it is a really heavy duty one, to use on his father's farm. Everything is relevant: just mower engine size does not a snowplow make.

I also know from over 40 years experience that really wet heavy snow can mess with blowers as well. I will pay the young guy who does our plowing.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I've got lots of neighbors with lawn tractors and lots of neighbors with ATVs with snow blades. I've never seen anyone with a blade on a lawn tractor. I've got two snow blowers, one 2-stage and one small one. The big one was fine for large areas but just too big for tight areas. I quit using the large one completely. In fact, last year I left them both parked and used a shovel. It's easier to get started and never plugs up.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
You miss the point. OP said the model isn't actually made for a blade, it is made for a blower. Sounds like they were sold the wrong tractor. My nieghbor has an AWD made to plow. He is a car/engine guy and he knows what he buys. He still has to get out his old blower sometimes for different kinds of snow. He also never uses his lawn tractor and it is a really heavy duty one, to use on his father's farm. Everything is relevant: just mower engine size does not a snowplow make.

I also know from over 40 years experience that really wet heavy snow can mess with blowers as well. I will pay the young guy who does our plowing.
Uh, OK.

A 26HP lawn tractor can handle snow with a blade just fine as long as it is equipped with the right mount for the blade -- and yes, some lawn tractors are. As for "the model isn't atually made for a blade," that's not what the OP actually said, and you might do well to read the OP's follow-up.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:26 AM

I think my original post might have been confusing. It was my husband that said the model wasn't intended to take a blade. But he was just speculating. He said the mower (not having 4wd) wouldn't have the traction to push snow and that it would damage the mower and/or blade.

This particular mower actually IS designed to take a plow blade. It can also take a thrower. The front axle is cast iron (or, um, whatever it needed to be so that it was stronger...excuse my awesome technical terms) and is strong enough to handle the blade and not bend. I guess that was the issue...the front axle could bend.

We pick the thing up today. :-)

Old 09-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
I think my original post might have been confusing. It was my husband that said the model wasn't intended to take a blade. But he was just speculating. He said the mower (not having 4wd) wouldn't have the traction to push snow and that it would damage the mower and/or blade.

This particular mower actually IS designed to take a plow blade. It can also take a thrower. The front axle is cast iron (or, um, whatever it needed to be so that it was stronger...excuse my awesome technical terms) and is strong enough to handle the blade and not bend. I guess that was the issue...the front axle could bend.

We pick the thing up today. :-)
While a 2WD tractor and plow blade isn't the most ideal combination, it can be done. I figure at 26HP this thing is probably pretty substantial and has a good amount of weight on the rear wheels. You can also get wheel weights to help put more weight on the rear axle, and a set of chains will help as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York