Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 PM

30 posts, read 159,779 times

Advertisements

Is Sad To See All Of This Bad Posts, Unfortunately, Most Of It Is True, Although I As Well Think You Shouldn't Move Exactly To The City Of Newburgh There Is Much More To It Than That Pretty Close There Are Several Towns Where The Violence/drug Percentile Is 0, Nice Places With Nice Houses And Nice People And A Much Better School System Than Newburgh And While You Can Still Take Advantage Of The Amenities Of The City You Would Never Have To Go To The Bad Places, Newburgh Is At The North Of Orange County Right Next To Ulster So If You Are Thinking Of Moving To The Area You Should Also Check That Area.
We Live In Ulster County And Just Moved Here From Nyc, Still Commute To Work To Nyc And Is Totally Doable, People That Live Here Think That Is Impossible Because Truthfully Living So Close To Nyc They Have Been There A Hand Full Of Times In Their Lives But Us Nykers Are Not Afraid Of The City And Actually Is Great To Appreciate The Stars At Night In Your Porch/deck Or Whatever And Still Be Able To Go To The Exitement Of The Best City In The World.
So My Advise Would Be Research All Areas And Do Whatever Is Best For Your Family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 21,193 times
I am a small investor, and a have a 3 family house in the the city of Newburgh. It's bad and need for a desparate change. I fix all problems and try to be the best landlord I could be. But they don't apprciate nothing. I pray for a change not only for my investment. But also for all the things I read about the history of this city. Only time can tell. I am still gonna invest there and do my best to see a change.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,155 times
Default It's True

Newburgh was an all American city. Water St. was a terrific place. Newburgh has fallen to the will of the criminals and corruption of the government. A waste of life and space for the greed of a few. If you want to move to the area, try moving to the town of Newburgh or New Windsor. A nice place to live is Montgomery.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 PM

7 posts, read 26,860 times
I would just like to say that I've read through the posts on this thread. I see a lot of excuse making for the residents of the city of newburgh. I was born and raised in Newburgh. My mother was born and raised in Newburgh back when it was the "all american city". The problem is not politics or corrupt police. The problem started with the urban revitalization. The Police department corruption was a problem in the 70's and that was dealt with. Almost the entired department was fired and an entire new staff was hired. The current police department operates with little to no corruption. The real problem today is that the residents don't have any sense of community. They don't see a problem with attacking police officers. They think it's okay to shoot at the cops and when someone dies for it, it's the police departments fault for returning fire at a convicted murderer who was on the run. Maybe if the residents had some sense of community they would clean up after themselves and stop throwing garbage all over the place and breaking windows and trashing everything in sight. They have no problem with ruining their own neighborhood and then complaining about the environment they live in. Here's a suggestion.... CLEAN UP YOUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD. The politicians didn't make this mess. The reason they shut down so many attempts to revitalize the city is because they feel any investment in the city will be a failure and a waste of money. Get real... who is going to invest tens of millions of dollars when you still have the same element living there. They will destroy anything in the neighborhood. No excuses newburgh is what it is because of the scum that lives there. No values. The town of newburgh is a fine place to live, the city of newburgh will probably never be what it once was unless the community wakes up and takes some responsibility.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 AM

88 posts, read 529,585 times
Another big reason this town has been doomed for so long is the drug infestation! It runs rampant throughout the the city. Drug addicts & drug dealers run much of the town and the last thing they want to see is the town cleaned up.

It really is sad driving through the nieghborhood and seeing all those abandon homes now turned into squatter/ drug addict's domain.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:17 AM

11 posts, read 61,045 times
TO JMCLOWRY - you are completely right and have clarified precisely what the problem is I totally agree with you about the element living in newburgh - there is NO excuse for it at all - if you ever want to privately email me JM - feel free

Old 02-23-2008, 04:19 AM

11 posts, read 61,045 times
How right you ARE JMCLOWRY- I totally agree and its obvious more and more people feel the same way - I think the pressure is building on the current residents of newburgh to clean up their act or get out - as it should be

Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 26,860 times
Thank you. I am just sick of the people there anymore. Just nothing but excuses for their own actions. Then they blame a lack of opportunity on their neighborhood. Well your neighborhood is what you make it. I am, however, glad to see that the riverfront is operational again. I know for awhile it was dead down there. I like that the new homes are starting to work their way up... hopefully this will spark the rest of the city to start remodeling and push the criminals out. They don't mind living in their own garbage but i sure do!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:11 PM

667 posts, read 1,738,924 times
Crime has been going down since I've moved here 2 + years ago. Here's a recent article --but of course that wouldn't be the 'bad news' that most around here like to post. Much better to feed the unknown. Same fear mongering is what got us in the war.
Covering the Hudson to the Catskills!

There IS a rising sense of community. How dare you! Just like there's 'garbage ' EVERYWHERE, how dare you think that all of us think that way!? MOST in this city are law abiding people. Most people do think the police are doing a good job and know they have a tough job. BUT they can also do better (one 'basic idea'...walking the beat')! How about setting up more programs for youths. It'll eventually come because this city is ripe for it. Again, that's rarely something that the news feels 'fit to print'. It's boring.

I know I'm wasting my time with most here--especially when you can say that the Governing policies/politics from the past didn't have anything to do with what happened. That's laughable and ignorant. I know and can understand, especially to those that have grown up in this area, that this city comes with a bad reputation. But for many of those 'new' folks that have come here in the last five or so years, this city has much more up, then down. It doesn't come with all this pent up anger. 'We're' also used to seeing people of color (oops did I really say that) that are actually good citizens. So maybe you should let it go

There are major clean-ups going in throughout the city. Several eye sores still exist that make progress hard to show to outsiders. But it can only be done sections at a time. The city was left a mess for so long that it takes time to fix so much that's been broken. But I know MANY families in the city who come from diverse backgrounds, are very well educated, make solid six figures and are doing a good job at raising their families. Many who have chosen this city as their new frontier. The gentrification is happening. And when it does, this city will become just another unaffordable place for most. Just what you wanted.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,254 times
Thumbs down haha

I am 19 years old and I have lived in Newburgh my entire life, it isnt a bad place at all. Infact it can be quite beautiful. of course there are its bad part, however, unless you are into all that it is really easy to avoid. You are all just a bunch of wimps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York