Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:24 AM

27 posts, read 117,054 times

Advertisements

I've been considering moving a little further from the city and Newburgh is a great location but much of the place looks too run-down to be safe. What reasons are there that continually keep this place from living up to it's potential? It's in such a great place - on the river, near enough to jobs and shopping either in the city or nearby, all the outdoor activities of the Hudson Valley and all the cultural, educational and social activities of the entire region are a short drive away.
Anyone care to offer a valid assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 01:45 AM

22 posts, read 106,797 times
I have never disliked a city more so than Newburgh. Being that it is so close to the city there are similar NYC-trends but not so similar incomes. This creates a very materalistic and "fake" community. NYC wannabes.

Those who are not middleclass or higher live in run down areas-dangerous and drug infested. I am not so certain why the city remains so dangerous, but it does. I imagin the school district could be one explanation. But if you ever drive through the city it is really sad to see where some of the familes are forced to live. There is a difference between the city of Newburgh and town of course. All in all, a very dirty place. Certainly not a place to raise a family. If you want out of NYC, I would move to Rockland County or head up to the Capitol Region. You cant beat Saratoga Springs-my first choice.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 AM

371 posts, read 1,357,466 times
Newburgh is depressing and unsafe. Don't go there.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:45 PM

52 posts, read 245,846 times
Corrupt PD, the crime will never be dealt with until the PD gets a complete overhaul. Newburgh is a hole, which is a shame because being right on the river, having a wide Main St, mountain views, close to NYC you would think it would be a no brainer. Unfortunately it is what it is.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 15,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2or3 View Post
I've been considering moving a little further from the city and Newburgh is a great location but much of the place looks too run-down to be safe. What reasons are there that continually keep this place from living up to it's potential? It's in such a great place - on the river, near enough to jobs and shopping either in the city or nearby, all the outdoor activities of the Hudson Valley and all the cultural, educational and social activities of the entire region are a short drive away.
Anyone care to offer a valid assessment?
This is Ralph A. Applegate, Who's Who In America, 2005, I have no idea at this moment even where Newburgh is, but I will find it ? Is it east or west of Columbia County/

Old 08-19-2007, 02:52 PM

302 posts, read 1,439,206 times
Newburgh is in northeast Orange county.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:25 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,776,454 times
No one cares about Newburgh. It will always have it's problems.

Newburgh is one of the most frequently visited locations by Brooklynites and Bronxites. Why? Drug running.

I feel as though Newburgh, NY is nothing more then a bad neighborhood.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:29 PM

27 posts, read 117,054 times
Thanks to all who voiced an opinion or comment. I was hoping that some pioneering souls were living in the city of Newburgh with the dream of revitalization and new life. The city of Hudson has seen a great turn-around over the past years. Never-know... anything is possible.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,889,573 times
Newburgh's government has never wanted change. It's run by Democrats who take orders from Albany to keep the city Democrat in what's a largely Republican county. Corruption has been the norm in Newburgh for a very long time and efforts at revitalizing Newburgh have been made time and again since the 60s only to be shut down by the political machine of the city or the state.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:12 PM

11 posts, read 61,018 times
there are several reasons why newburgh looks the way it does - it is just a bit too far to be a comfortable commute to the city and jobs are relatively scarce- but the more pressing reason is the lack of pride and caring people take in where they live - my grandparents were old newburghs - 1880s and my grandmother lived there until she died in 1967- they were first generation Irish and had no money - but they had pride - and kept their property clean and picked up - newburgh will not turn around until those homes are razed - and the miscreants are forced to move- and it IS sad - because as you noted it is the most beautiful part of the Hudson and very rich in history
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York