Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 AM

371 posts, read 1,362,164 times

Advertisements

How would you describe race relations in the Hudson Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 01:57 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,707 times
I can only tell you about my portion of Orange county which is in Monroe. All races seem to get along well with each other. In my neighborhood you can watch a bunch of kids walk by the house consisting of white, black and hispanic.... no problems noted here in my neighborhood

Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 AM

110 posts, read 496,512 times
Rockland County is a melting pot, which is great!!!! All ethinc groups in every area and everyone seems to get along just fine.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:47 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
The only race relations that I can think about is...whether to make it a 5k or a 10k race!

Seriously....not a problem.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,600 times
well i wouldn't say it isnt a problem entirely, it depends on where you are in the Hudson valley- for the most part, the area is a very diverse and accepting area of all types. As with most locations, the closer you are to larger towns and cities, the more diversity is accepted. However, in some of the small hamlets and rural areas you can find a quite different situation. my sister is a Spanish teacher and her boyfriend happens to be Hispanic- we had grown up on a very rural area where everyone had pretty much kept to themselves. She was looking to rent a house recently in a near by town and when talking with one of the neighbors about what the area was like, the subject came up as to what they each did for a living, the neighbor had quickly retorted, "well, we only speak English here" and then turned somewhat cold. my sister then realized that this person had a problem with Hispanic influence (which is becoming more prominent in may of the areas in the HV). Yes, this could be just this one individual- however, there are also issues going on in Putnam County- involving protests regarding Hispanics. I know of several Hispanic families who have had their homes/property vandalized- and they are legal US residents. S

Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
From what I understand it is a very widely scattered problem..not the norm at all. I heard that in Newburgh you can have problems but it is not necessarily white vs minority it is minority vs other minorities that are in the wrong neighborhood. Maybe racism is not the correct word - gang issues may be better term for it. Solve the problem by staying out of the bad parts of Newburgh alltogether. Otherwise i would say most everywhere I have been in the HV is pretty diverse and accepting.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:22 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
Being Asian Indian...I havent had any issues up here in dutchess...actually it would be nice to see a bit more diversity! But I think the more diverse neighborhoods are beacon and poughkeepsie..and the brewster area of putnam, newburgh, middletown. I dont hear too much positive in those areas (from a parents perspective on schooling though)...So I dont know about race relations per say..just hear about the the schools being very very sub par.

But as to a general note..no problems here in dutchess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York